Cat Disappeared In New House

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry he's still missing/hiding. I can only imagine how worried you are. :alright:

Is there any chance he might have gotten upstairs and is locked in a closet. I'd open every door in your house and shine a flashlight in. Look in every dresser drawer, as sometimes they manage to crawl in from the back. Look in your kitchen cupboards. Look under the bed. Look everywhere.

This is a wild shot, but try playing cat meowing sounds on your phone. My Ruby will always come in to investigate if I listen to a cat video with the volume up too loud. Also, I've read that sometimes feral mother cats will lead a rescuer to her kittens if they play kitten crying sounds. So it's worth a shot. Try all cat sounds. Meowing. Purring. Kittens. Growling. Howling. Anything that might prompt a vocal response from him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffy organa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry he's still missing/hiding. I can only imagine how worried you are. :alright:

Is there any chance he might have gotten upstairs and is locked in a closet. I'd open every door in your house and shine a flashlight in. Look in every dresser drawer, as sometimes they manage to crawl in from the back. Look in your kitchen cupboards. Look under the bed. Look everywhere.

This is a wild shot, but try playing cat meowing sounds on your phone. My Ruby will always come in to investigate if I listen to a cat video with the volume up too loud. Also, I've read that sometimes feral mother cats will lead a rescuer to her kittens if they play kitten crying sounds. So it's worth a shot. Try all cat sounds. Meowing. Purring. Kittens. Growling. Howling. Anything that might prompt a vocal response from him.
I meowed at him and it worked! Thank you so much! I didn't think about that before but I've always meowed right back at him (I'm a weirdo lol) so I think that helped a bit, I saw him hiding and pulled out a little salmon filet to help coax him out. I'm so happy he's ok!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffy organa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is AWESOME!!! GO rubysmama rubysmama and GO you!!
Thanks for the update! Where was he?
Under the stairs! I thought he was there, there weren't many other hiding spots down there and my dog seemed to be especially interested in smelling that area ever since he disappeared. There are a couple steps that turn at the bottom so you can see into that part, I think that's where he was hiding

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
That’s such wonderful news! I’ve been following along hoping for a happy ending. Years ago, I moved to a new condo, and my petite kitty Teddy Bear disappeared. I was a mess. She had forced her way into a narrow opening in the baseboard in the kitchen where two corners met. It was such a tight fit that she scraped fur off the sides of her face going in and coming out. They get so scared when they’re turned loose into new places. The drive to protect themselves is incredibly strong. Yaaay, little guy!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you found him. Rubysmama--- that was brilliant! I'm going to remember that trick the next time my cats hide on me. :thumbsup: