Cat Disappeared In New House

buffy organa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8 y old indoor cat (male if that matters) has gone missing inside my new house. We just moved to a new state and he was totally fine during the road trip and hotel stays so I didn't think the new place would freak him out so much. I took him down to the basement and shut the door so he wouldn't run outside while we were moving. I only left him down there for about 5 minutes while I went up and got his food and litter from the car. When I came back down, he was gone. Nowhere in sight. There is no possible way he could've gotten outside, so it's one of two things- Hes in the small space between the ceiling and floor, or he's under the stairs. I can see to the back of the stairs but the last few steps turn at the bottom and I can't see that area, nor can I reach it physically. My dog has been smelling that area and trying to squeeze through but theres a big oil furnace (house was built in the 50s) and he can't get through any better than I can. It's been over 24 hours now, he went missing yesterday afternoon. I've left out food, water, treats, litter, and various empty cardboard boxes, as well as some of his bedding and toys to try to lure him out. He's usually very responsive, he knows his name and comes when called but I haven't heard any movement, any collar jingling, meowing, nothing. I'm so scared. I even left out his used litter and bedding on the porch on the off chance he somehow got outside but unless there's some kind of secret tunnel in the basement that the previous owners neglected to tell us about, that's pretty much impossible. Can someone please share more ways to lure him out? I'm so terrified, he's never gone missing before and I've had him since I was 12 (I'm 20), if anyone can please give me some advice or anything that could help I'd appreciate it so much. I made an account specifically to ask this so if anyone could at least relate to this in a positive way I'd really appreciate it. I have anxiety and typically my cat is the one who helps me the most so for him to be missing means endless worry. In addition to normal food and water I left out his favorite wet food and I bought this little salmon filet to give him when I find him. I might open that tomorrow if he doesn't show up tonight, it's already 10 pm:( any help or comfort would mean so much to me right now, this little dude is my world and this whole thing is making what should be a positive experience (buying an amazing house) highly traumatic instead. sorry for how messy this post is but I'm just so worried right now

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign::alright: Oh yes - I have been in your situation before. Is there any way that you could borrow a trail camera? Sometimes they come out when we are asleep and unaware. Years ago, my disabled daughter went out of state for the summer and her cat Christy disappeared like that. I was so worried! I was literally sick to my stomach. But after 4 days, just when I was strengthening myself to call my daughter, Christy reapp

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with catsknowme catsknowme . Your kitty will come out.

Have you left him food and water in the basement? Put it next to a wall so he doesn’t feel exposed when eating or drinking. What about his carrier and maybe an item that has your smell on it, like a towel or a T-shirt? All next to a wall, maybe near the stairs where you think he might be.

A camera is a good idea, for your own peace of mind. Train it on the food and water. Also, don’t think you’ve figured out all the possible hiding spaces. Cats will surprise you every time.

Best of luck and let us know what happens.

Dickie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sure he'll come out of hiding when nobody's around, at least to watch and eat.
Very important that you leave very tasty food! Stinky sardines are great!
You should verify that your cat eats when there is no one, see if the food disappears ... it is very important that he eat and drink at least.
Calm down, because it will come out again!
tell us when there is news

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffy organa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:welcomesign::alright: Oh yes - I have been in your situation before. Is there any way that you could borrow a trail camera? Sometimes they come out when we are asleep and unaware. Years ago, my disabled daughter went out of state for the summer and her cat Christy disappeared like that. I was so worried! I was literally sick to my stomach. But after 4 days, just when I was strengthening myself to call my daughter, Christy reapp
Thank you for the reassurance! It means a lot right now. He's still in hiding but it's only been 2 days now. This is just so unlike him, he normally loves change, finding new furniture to jump on and places to play. I was not expecting this type of reaction so it's really scary. I don't have any kind of camera unfortunately but ive left lots of things near where I think he's hiding, like food, water, litter, his carrier, and some of his used bedding plus a pillow he loves laying on, it's still covered in his hair so hopefully he smells it and feels better. It would be so comforting just to see some food missing or that he's used his litter so I know he's not stuck somewhere

buffy organa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with catsknowme catsknowme . Your kitty will come out.

Have you left him food and water in the basement? Put it next to a wall so he doesn’t feel exposed when eating or drinking. What about his carrier and maybe an item that has your smell on it, like a towel or a T-shirt? All next to a wall, maybe near the stairs where you think he might be.

A camera is a good idea, for your own peace of mind. Train it on the food and water. Also, don’t think you’ve figured out all the possible hiding spaces. Cats will surprise you every time.

Best of luck and let us know what happens.
I have left food and water, but I'll move it closer to the wall where I think he is! The understair area is in a tiny bathroom in the basement and there's a little ledge right next to it. I think I'll put it up there so my dog doesn't get to it on the floor. I put his litter right by the entry too, plus his carrier, some used bedding, and his favorite pillow that's still covered in his hair. I don't have a camera but if I could just see that some food is missing or that the litters been used it would mean so much, this is really unlike him and I'm so worried.

buffy organa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
you could also try some Kentucky fried chicken but that might be more than the dog could resist....
Do you have the food arranged on the plate(s) so you can know for certain if it's been eaten?
have you checked the ceiling? when it's dark, shine a flashlight all around, hopefully those glowy eyes will appear.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Every time I've moved with a cat or brought one home with me after adopting her, she's stayed hidden for days after that type of upheaval. I always assumed it was just because my cats were/are shy/skittish types, but Jackson Galaxy has some shows where he explains that cats derive their sense of security from feeling like they own their territory. So your cat may have a brave personality, but still may need some time to build up that sense of ownership with his new space.

I hope you find him soon! It's always scary not to know where they are.

Move #1 with Gwen: in an apartment with absolutely no furniture, she managed to make herself disappear by wedging herself behind the fridge. It took her 2 days to come out.

buffy organa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Every time I've moved with a cat or brought one home with me after adopting her, she's stayed hidden for days after that type of upheaval. I always assumed it was just because my cats were/are shy/skittish types, but Jackson Galaxy has some shows where he explains that cats derive their sense of security from feeling like they own their territory. So your cat may have a brave personality, but still may need some time to build up that sense of ownership with his new space.

I hope you find him soon! It's always scary not to know where they are.

Move #1 with Gwen: in an apartment with absolutely no furniture, she managed to make herself disappear by wedging herself behind the fridge. It took her 2 days to come out.
This is comforting, thank you so much. I'm glad to know this is normal behavior and I'm hoping for the best.

buffy organa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
you could also try some Kentucky fried chicken but that might be more than the dog could resist....
Do you have the food arranged on the plate(s) so you can know for certain if it's been eaten?
have you checked the ceiling? when it's dark, shine a flashlight all around, hopefully those glowy eyes will appear.
I tried to keep his food shallow in the bowl so I'll be able to see a dent if he nibbles on it. I have also been checking the ceiling in the basement but the gap is so slight that it's hard for me to see in, and there's barely anything he would've been able to climb to get up there. Half of the basement is finished while the other half is unfinished so the gap is in between the finished ceiling and the floor upstairs, and the rafters (I think that's what they're called, I don't know too much about houses) are pretty close to the gap so I can't get my head all the way up to look in properly. hopefully that makes sense, it's kinda hard to describe.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, yes, I know what you're describing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he comes out soon!
By the way you might set up something that softly plays some classical harp music or try this app Relax my Cat.
Also, if there's power in the basement, pop in a calming diffuser, feliway, thunderease, sentry, etc.

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, that does sound like a stressful situation. I don’t have much to add from what others have already said, except, does he have any toys he’s obsessed with that make noise? I know when my cat is hiding from me vacuuming or something, sometimes even me shaking her treats doesn’t bring her out. But I find if I throw her favorite toy and she hears the noise then she will most of the time come out of hiding. But that’s just the way my cat is.

I hope he reappears soon! You could also always spray some felaway to see if that calms him. Just a thought.

buffy organa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh dear, that does sound like a stressful situation. I don’t have much to add from what others have already said, except, does he have any toys he’s obsessed with that make noise? I know when my cat is hiding from me vacuuming or something, sometimes even me shaking her treats doesn’t bring her out. But I find if I throw her favorite toy and she hears the noise then she will most of the time come out of hiding. But that’s just the way my cat is.

I hope he reappears soon! You could also always spray some felaway to see if that calms him. Just a thought.
I actually just unpacked some more of his things and added some toys down there. He doesn't really have a favorite, except maybe hairties. I might put some down there with his bedding, they'd probably have my scent on them too. My stepdad is also setting up his office down there, he works from home and my cat loves stealing his seat while he works, I'm hoping that helps. I haven't tried feliway before, I'll see if I can find some!

buffy organa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, yes, I know what you're describing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he comes out soon!
By the way you might set up something that softly plays some classical harp music or try this app Relax my Cat.
Also, if there's power in the basement, pop in a calming diffuser, feliway, thunderease, sentry, etc.
I haven't used feliway before but I'll hit the pet store and get some if he's still hiding tomorrow. Thanks for your support!

Pixie_kitttie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have an old smartphone or can use your partner's phone overnight? I use the app Alfred on my new phone and old phone and use it as a nanny cam to watch my cat while I'm at work. You can set it up to turn on when it senses motion. You could leave the lights on in the basement and tape up the phone to the wall that faces the food/water/litter box and see if you see anything.

I'm really sorry to read about your situation, I hope your kitty comes out soon!

Speaking of Feliway, I just bought a plug-in for my cat yesterday and I am seeing really, really great results already for her anxiety. Maybe it can help your kitty too.

buffy organa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have an old smartphone or can use your partner's phone overnight? I use the app Alfred on my new phone and old phone and use it as a nanny cam to watch my cat while I'm at work. You can set it up to turn on when it senses motion. You could leave the lights on in the basement and tape up the phone to the wall that faces the food/water/litter box and see if you see anything.

I'm really sorry to read about your situation, I hope your kitty comes out soon!

Speaking of Feliway, I just bought a plug-in for my cat yesterday and I am seeing really, really great results already for her anxiety. Maybe it can help your kitty too.
I don't have a phone to borrow but I don't have anything important to do on my phone usually so taping it up overnight is a good idea, thanks! I'm definitely gonna invest in some feliway, it seems the diffuser would be good to have for future situations as well

buffy organa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has he made an appearance or eaten his food?
Unfortunately not I'm not sure what else to do at this point other than hope for the best. I even checked the shelter yesterday on the off chance he got out, no matter how impossible that seems, and I've shared his picture with a Facebook lost and found group as well as my neighbors. I'm still convinced he's in the basement but better safe than sorry.