cat delivered 2 kittens so far but not sure if there is more

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom will cycle in and out of heat aboyt every 2 weeks until she is spayed. The heat cycle itself lasts about a week. When do you plan to spay her?

The Rachel Ray kitten food will be fine! All kitten chow is loaded with extra vitamins and minerals to help kittens thrive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes we are keeping momma and the kittens. The Orange is a girl and the black and white is a boy. Momma is a stray we took in months and months ago and is now an indoor cat and doesn't go outside. I really hope your not going to tell me that she can get pregnant by the male kitten anywhere close to this age. She is getting fixed the day they get there shots

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mom will cycle in and out of heat aboyt every 2 weeks until she is spayed. The heat cycle itself lasts about a week. When do you plan to spay her?

The Rachel Ray kitten food will be fine! All kitten chow is loaded with extra vitamins and minerals to help kittens thrive.
I'm getting her spayed the same time the kittens are old enough to get shots. Isn't it like between 6 and 7 weeks they can get shots?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First shots are at 8 weeks. She would not get pregnant before 6 months old. :)

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
20170426_112712~2.jpg
So we thought at first that the Orange one.was a.female and the black one was a male but now that they are a bit older it seems the other way around. From these pictures would anyone be able to tell me what they think? They aren't the best but it's the best I could do with hyper kittens lol. Thanks. Hopefully we won't have to rename them
20170426_112455.jpg

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. ok so I have another question. I'm feeding them wet food along with the kmr and I was just wondering what's a good amount to feed them and how often. right now I am feeding them about a tablespoon of wet mixed with one and a half tablespoons of the kmr 2 times a day. they are still feeding from momma as well so I have been trying to do this slowly so they don't get upset tummies. I was just wondering because on the can of wet food it says to feed 1 to 4 cans per day for kittens 1 to 4 months. even 1 can per day each seems like a lot because I tried to double what I give them now and they can barely finish that. so does it seem like that's enough food I'm giving them right now? also I am going to start putting down this dry food as well today, its royal canin that I guess you can add water to re hydrate it. any suggestions would be great, thank you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you are doing fine playing it by ear!

What normally happens is that the KMR is gradually reduced and more wet food added so that the kittens get more of their needs met by the wet food alone. You don't want them filling up on KMR. You want them to get the wet food once they are eating well.

Then, when they are eating well, you'll see that they scarf 4 wet meals a day, with mom's milk and kitten chow in between. The amount of wet food increases as they grow. :)

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you so much, I.have tried to feed just the wet and they will eat it just fine without the kmr in it. So since they will eat just straight wet food do you think I just should give wet and cut the kmr out completely? Or do they still need stuff from the kmr at this age?

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also they are not wanting to drink much water if any. I know they are still being hydrated by the wet food and moms milk but any ideas how to get them to drink water? I just have a bowl of water in with them hoping they drink some of it. I mean surely they wouldn't just not drink water and get dehydrated if it's sitting right there

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Right now they are getting plenty of moisture from mom's milk and the wet food. They will drink water as they get older.

Since they eat the wet food alone and still nurse mom, they don't need the wet mixed with KMR.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. Ok so just to clarify the kittens are now almost 7 weeks old and are still eating some from mom. One will eat the dry food no problems and the other will sometimes. It seems like they get filled up on moms milk they don't want to eat a lot of there food. I was mixing some kmr with there wet food and they both seem to eat that well, I stopped putting kmr in it and they still will eat it just not as well. I am wanting to get momma spayed ASAP hopefully a little over a week but before I do I just had some questions. First will she lose her milk and ability to feed the babies after she is spayed? If so is it instantly? Also the meds they give her will that harm the kittens to.drink her milk (if she has any)? Also what about the stitches and the kittens biting at them, licking them or just being rowdy like kittens are? I am also going to get there first (and only) set of shots around the same time. Not sure if I should wait til momma is healed to do so. But at the same time mom is a stray and hasn't had her shots yet so I don't want her to bring anything back with her after being spayed. So sorry for all the questions. I just want to do this right and make sure I know what all to look out for or what the best process should be. Getting her shots and being spayed at the same time? Wait between the two. Thank you again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom should have internal stitches that will not pose a problem for the kittens nursing.

She will still be able to nurse. Her milk will not dry up until the kittens quit nursing.

The kittens sound like they are weaning to soft foods normally. If they like it better with KMR mixed in, I would keep doing that until they are a little bigger.

The kittens can get shots and be fixed beginning at 8 weeks old or 2 pounds. :)

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. So there should be no issue with them nursing after she gets home with the meds they give her? Ok great I guess I will take her down and get her fixed and shots then wait about a week and take the kittens down and do the same with them. Lol they are both little fattys onyx weighs 34.3 oz and Milo weighs 34.1 oz. Both were almost 2 lbs at 6 weeks old. But that's a good thing:)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that's a good thing! :)

I had my cat fixed when her kittens were 8 weeks old. She nursed them the minute she got home. I used no cone, and the meds had no effects on the kittens.

Ask for 3 days of pain meds for her. She'll need them. The kittens won't - they'll come home and start playing, unless the vaccines make them feel yucky for a day or two.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great thank you so much, Ok so one more question lol. Has anyone ever done any low cost or free spay and neuter clinic? I'm asking because I see a couple free ones in Oklahoma City where I live and I'm just scared that my babies won't get the same care and treatment that a place that charges more would since they aren't getting paid to do it I figure they may just rush thru it since they probably do a ton a day. I would assume that they have to meet certain standards but it's just scary to me that they may not care as much as a charge clinic. Here is what I found.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Those performing the free spays and neuters are usually being paid.

The fact they perform so many means they are very good at them!

I use low-cost clinics for spaying and neutering and have never had a problem.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so sorry for all the questions but I just noticed 2 days ago onyx eyes seem to have the 2nd eyelid and they aren't open all the way. They are kinda on the bottom corners of his eyes and are visible, is this something I should be concerned about?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has she seen the vet yet? She's 7 weeks now so should go soon.

Ask the vet about her eyes. They do not look infected to me.