Cat breathing....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're going to redo the pro bnp test and also test for some other highly unlikely things, like hyperthyroid, in a few weeks. If her pro bnp level has gotten worse then yes I am going to take her.

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looking for some more input..
I've noticed that sometimes Khloe sniffs something intensely, then when she pops her head up her mouth is open for a few seconds. Not really sure what to make of that? I know open mouth breathing is a serious issue. She's active and eating and drinking.

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is how they take in a scent.  It is not open mouth breathing.    It is completely normal.  All 9 of my cats do this.  Especially when I touched other animals.  

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

That is how they take in a scent.  It is not open mouth breathing.    It is completely normal.  All 9 of my cats do this.  Especially when I touched other animals.  
Yes, this sounds like what you are describing, especially because you say she smells something intensely before it happens

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah like something on the couch or blanket or floor... Thanks for the reassurance!

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always ask them " is it poop??! Did I step in poop???"

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her eye has been bugging her as well, a couple years ago the vet said she may have herpes because her eye gets watery and a little bit of discharge. I have moisturizing drops, any other suggestions?

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mucus or just watery?  I would just wash them with a warm damp soft cloth.  Unless it is infected?

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's infected because she's always had this issue it seems. It gets quite watery and seems to dry to a bit of crust, but it's either clear or maybe slightly milky. It comes and goes it seems.

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think she will be fine if you just wipe them with warm soft paper towel

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I've noticed my girl sometimes has whistling breath when she exhales while sleeping. Not wheezing, but a light whistle upon exhalation. Not sure what's up with that.... We're going back soon for another pro bnp and a hyperthyroid test because although she's young and it's unlikely it's not entirely impossible.