Cat breathing....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She just peed literally right before I put her in the carrier. No worries, I've been on a lot due to not sleeping because of the stress.

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's eating more today, ate a ton of west food for breakfast, but in a week she went from 5.26 to 5.16 kg..... I can't tell if she's muscle wasting, does anyone know what that would look like? When I came home I thought she was a little slow moving around, but she had just woken up. She ate dinner and is napping on the back of the couch again...

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's great that she's eating again :clap:

As to the rest, I honestly think you're over analysing. I know how easy it is to do (I've done it myself often enough), but it really doesn't help. Try to relax and let her be herself. In all likelihood she's behaving just the same as before this started, and you're simply being hyper-vigilant.

Hang in there hun :hugs: Wait for the test results before you panic. :vibes:

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's honestly the worst.

The way she's sitting in this pic has been the way she sometimes sits for a few minutes for a long time. Now that I'm doing all this reading, is this the elbows out pose that kitties do when they're trying to breathe? I'm constantly freaking out over everything now!!

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The test results are in......
The blood work and organ function is all good. Negative for leukaemia and AIDS.

Her red blood cell count was a little high... But her vet said that it was likely due to the stress of the vet and blood test. She gets super scared there.

Here's the concern...... The heart protein levels in her pro bnp test were 136. The lab said under 100 is normal, and 100-270 was abnormal. The vet said that in order for the heart to be causing respiratory issues those levels would need to be at least 200. Since 136 is only s bit above normal, she said it could just be "her normal" and that what's considered a normal level can vary. She said she doesn't want to discourage me from getting a cardiac ultrasound, but at the same time she wouldn't be rushing her down for one, especially since she gets so stressed.

The weight loss she said is abnormal.... Her b12 levels were in the normal range but on the low end of normal, which could have something to do with it. We're going to keep an eye on it and I am to weigh her at home to check.

Thoughts on what I should do? We would have to drive 2 hours and it would be 5-600 dollars for the ultrasound. It's not the money that concerns me..... It's the stressful drive. I'm concerned that the levels were 136, despite the fact that's it's only a little abnormal, the earlier we catch something like this the better.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats hates being in the carrier and car rides.  She has peed on herself during short car rides to the vet.  I switched to a new vet about a year ago and this vet sprays herself with Feliway between patients.  I warned her that Starbuck had peed on herself in the car and did hides from anyone but us at home.  Starbuck allowed the vet to clean her up and was calm during her exam for her URI.  The vet gave us a sample of Feliway wipes and told us to use them on the carrier before putting her in it.  My hubby tried this for her last vet visit and she was a different cat.  She complained when he first put her in the carrier briefly.  She cried for a short time in the car.  She did not scream the entire time she was in the carrier or pee on herself this time.  She was even calm and did not complain in the waiting room.  I am wondering if this product would be helpful to you it definitely helped my cat calm down a lot.

I did not even know these wipes existed until the vet gave me a sample.  I am planning to order some online.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's honestly the worst.

The way she's sitting in this pic has been the way she sometimes sits for a few minutes for a long time. Now that I'm doing all this reading, is this the elbows out pose that kitties do when they're trying to breathe? I'm constantly freaking out over everything now!!
That is the pose you're talking about, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the cat is struggling to breathe - my boy (who has no problems in that area) will sit like that from time to time. You have to look at more than just the body position - its breathing and demeanour too.

It sounds like all the test results are pretty positive. I think I'd take the vet's advice on the ultrasound, at least for now. Maybe you could repeat the blood test in a few weeks to see if anything changes. If it were me, I'd want to talk to the vet about what she thinks the most likely cause is for the weight loss and breathing issues.

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They seem unable to identify the breathing issue right now because the X-ray came back with nothing on the lungs or chest, although it could be very mild and thus not show up. They don't have a reason for her weight loss right now apparently.
I'm wondering if I should redo the pro bnp in a month and see what it's at, then take her for an ultrasound, in the same breadth I don't want to leave it if we have caught it early. She's in the grey area of she may have it she may not..... 136 could be normal for her, or not.....

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
AND we don't wanna give her the prednisone that was originally prescribed because there is a link between that and heart disease too...

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You said your other cat has asthma. Do you have an AeroKat to use with an inhaler? Inhaled steroids might be viable where oral aren't, as you need a far lower dose to achieve the desired effect. Definitely something to discuss with your vet.

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do have the Aerokat yes

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just picked up a new Flovent tonight for my other kitty and asked. She said not to try it yet, we're going to do the lung dewormer and see how that goes, plus test the pro bnp again in a month, during which time we will do a test for highly unlikely things like hyperthyroid...
I should mention she only poops every other day. In fact she was just in a litter box digging around a bit; she didn't squat and try but rather just dug around and then hopped out.... This is a longstanding behaviour but now I'm wondering about everything.

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so she was just playing with my feet, which lasted about a minute and all of a sudden she coughed a bit and had to sit back. She laid down and I noticed she was breathing heavy, not panting or open mouthed but still more abdominal and heavy. This would be classified as exercise intolerance right?

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave her the lung dewormer last night in a different wet food, and sure enough this morning she wasn't really interested in her food that she's been eating for the past couple days! Neither the wet or dry. I had to make her eat a highly palatable gravy and chunks food, and even then it's only those tiny cans and she only ate about 2/3 to 3/4 of it.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I just skimmed through your thread and really think you should take your girl for the ultrasound.  It is the only way for you to know what is going on and if she does have a heart issue, she will be able to start the appropriate treatment.   If you wait, you are only going to torment yourself worrying.  I have a feeling you're going to take her at some point anyway, so why not sooner than later?  There is a real possibility you'll get good news and that will relieve your own stress enormously.  

You have to balance the stress she'll go through on the ride to and from with the stress you're going through with all this uncertainty. She'll be over it in one day, while you're going to worry until you have an answer.   As others have pointed out, there are things you can do to minimize her anxiety. Try spraying the carrier with Feliway beforehand or try giving her some Composure treats or liquid.  Rescue Remedy might help.  You can even have the carrier sitting out for a few days in advance and spray it every day so it stops seeming so threatening.

In terms of her lack of appetite - it sounds like you've figured out that's a reaction to the lung dewormer, right?  Also, I may have missed this, but isn't it possible the breathing problems are due to the lung worm?  Why are you so concerned about her heart?   

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She doesn't for sure have lung worm, the vet is just treating it because it's a safe treatment and it's basically process of elimination.
You're right about the ultrasound... I have been worried sleepless. I'm worried about her heart because of some signs she is exhibiting, plus she just got a 136 on the pro bnp test, which is just in the grey area...

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

She's been more active today and ate her breakfast and some kernels for dinner... I can't help but think she's getting worse when I see her laying like this. Her resting breathing rate remains the same... Has anyone had experience with their cat being in the "grey area" of abnormality on the pro bnp test of 100-270 range?

jlgagne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As she's sleeping here beside me I hear a little whistle as she breaths out..... Not coming from her chest,,but her nose. Is this normal?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I've had cats sometimes make a whistling sound through their noises when they slept.  It wasn't every day and didn't appear to be associated with any underlying health issue.    Just keep an eye on your girl to see if it gets worse.  A little whistle now and then is nothing to worry about.

Did you decide about the ultrasound?