Cat acting very strange.

mdpadgett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so today when I got home, my cats were nowhere to be found ( they usually come right to the door). Eventually one of the cats came around but was acting very strange. The other cat was nowhere to be found. I noticed the one cat (tink) sitting by the master bedroom with a big poofy tail and arched back. I picked her up and carried her into the room and her tail got big again and she ran out. My other cat (forbes) came around when I started shaking the food bag. He was also acting very strange. He usually runs to me and jumps on my lap when I sit on the couch but this time he just at across the room and stared at me. Today we had a house showing since our house is for sale. Could that have scared them? There have been many showings before but they have never gotten spooked before

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mdpadgett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can somebody please help?

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today we had a house showing since our house is for sale. Could that have scared them?
When I was reading your post I was thinking "Something spooked them."  When I hit this part it all made sense.  I know you said they have been okay with showings before, but maybe something about one of the people made this one extra scary.  I know my cats would freak if strangers came in while we were gone.  I know when we were house shopping, one house we saw had one room unavailable for viewing because the cats were closed up in there.  Perhaps you could put them in a small room that people would be okay not seeing.  (We are first time home owners and my plan for when it is time to sell is to create a sanctuary for the cats in our large laundry room and just post good photos of the laundry room on the door.) 

mdpadgett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I'm sure that is the problem. I will have to see what happens we get another showing!

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw; poor kitties. 
  I bet it was the showing that spooked them.  Maybe even just a scent on the people or a loud noise they made.  I hope they are all calmed down now.

m00se

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I was reading your post I was thinking "Something spooked them."  When I hit this part it all made sense.  I know you said they have been okay with showings before, but maybe something about one of the people made this one extra scary.  I know my cats would freak if strangers came in while we were gone.  I know when we were house shopping, one house we saw had one room unavailable for viewing because the cats were closed up in there.  Perhaps you could put them in a small room that people would be okay not seeing.  (We are first time home owners and my plan for when it is time to sell is to create a sanctuary for the cats in our large laundry room and just post good photos of the laundry room on the door.) 
+1. All the cats knew is that there were strangers looking around their house, and they didn't invite them. Is it possible the house showing was with someone that had little kids that started chasing the cats, or otherwise did something to threaten/scare them?Also, is there a friend that could take them in for the house showings? Or would that scare them more?

mdpadgett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't really know. Our one cat is still spooked and it has been several days now. I hope she gets over it soon cause i can't stand to see her so scared.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes it takes cats a while to get back into their skin, to speak. try to keep things quiet around the house.. and if you have a showing, is there a way you can confine her to a small, dark room by herself where it's quiet?

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would also be a good time to get a Feliway diffuser, if you don't have one. May help keep them a little calmer, despite the circumstances. (Put it in the room you close them off in).

mdpadgett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is no way we can put her in her own little room while showing the house because viewers of course want to examine and view every room in the house. So I'm kind of out of options

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While house shopping I was fine with it when one of the minor rooms wasn't showed because the cats were in there.  We plan on using the laundry room as the cat room when we sell our house.  We'll post photos on the door.  (It is a really nice spacious laundry room....definitely want them to see photos of it.)  Anyways, it might be doable.   

mdpadgett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's a good point. We will definitely try. The laundry room would be perfect because that is where the litter box and their food is. Thanks for the recommendations.