Care Of Orphaned Kitten: Overeating/crying Etc.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your kitty needs to see the vet, as soon as you can. In the meantime, keep him warm with a heating pad on low and a couple towels over it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did I misunderstand - is your kitten eating?
Yes, he is eating really good, he just cries in between eating and afterward. I visited the vet today and he gave him medicine

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
oh, ok, thank you for clarifying for me :)
So, keep him warm, and maybe even take a sock or two, partly fill them with dry rice or dry bean, heat them, test them on your skin and let him snuggle with them.

Also, give him a ticking clock or heartbeat toy, those will help him as well.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell from your description if he is just feeling lonely and lost without mom and litter mates to snuggle with, or if he is really in pain / distress.

Does he calm down at all if you gently nestle him against your chest so that he can feel your warm living body and hear your heartbeat? Sometimes that helps with little babies.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does treat bacterial infections, so maybe your vet is thinking it's something other than coccidia.

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have him in a warm basket w/ a heating pad, no worries !! We do not have those heartbeat toys near me though sadly.
Whenever I hold him, he does sometimes calm down a little but even when he is purring he's still crying, just a lot more quietly.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you get a clock? Or try some music - low volume classical harp music, and hold him on your chest :)

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are you feeding him? Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR) or fresh goat's milk are good. Not cow's milk, it has lactose (milk sugar) which will give most cats diarrhea; The best KMR to buy is the dry powder form, then you just mix up the amount you need, and the powder will not spoil or require refrigeration.

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are you feeding him? Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR) or fresh goat's milk are good. Not cow's milk, it has lactose (milk sugar) which will give most cats diarrhea; The best KMR to buy is the dry powder form, then you just mix up the amount you need, and the powder will not spoil or require refrigeration.
I would never give him cow's milk lol I'm feeding him the Pet Ag replacement formula in powder form :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you believe that hes crying just bc hes lonely?
It could be. Also, some baby kittens complain more than others. We have a young litter right now and one of the kittens is complaining a lot, but I think that is mostly his personality. "Where is the nipple? Help, my brother is pushing me off the nipple! Mom, stop washing me! Where is Mom, I can't find Mom!" etc. Have you taken care of baby kittens before? They have a sort of grumpy grumbling cry that is a low-level complaint, and some kittens do that a lot.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Instead of mixing it with water, try mixing it with goats milk. He may be eating quite a bit, but it may not have enough nutrients to make him feel full.

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have raised other kittens before, but he seems to cry a lot more excessively compared to others. It may just be his personality, but I'm just worried his stomach is hurting or something because he wakes up often to cry & has trouble falling asleep.
I will try using goat's milk if I can find it in a local store, thank you!

My question is: What do I do whenever he cries? Should I leave him in his bed or try to hold him? He will fall asleep in my hands but the moment I move or put him down hes back to crying - obviously I can't hold him forever.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Awws, he is just being a baby. Poor guy. He needs triple the cuddles and attention, especially when he cries.

Thanks for taking care of this boy.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Massage him over whole body with a toothbrush it feels as moms tongue. But mostly the tummy.

may have gases in stomach? A drop or two with simethicone may help, shouldnt hurt.

Also have you him on your shoulder after feeding? So excessive swallowed air may go out. [burping]

Last edited:

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Massage him over whole body with a toothbrush it feels as moms tongue. But mostly the tummy.

may have gases in stomach? A drop or two with simethicone may help, shouldnt hurt.

Also have you him on your shoulder after feeding? So excessive swallowed air may go out. [burping]
I will try this thank you!! I rub him after each feeding but I don't really put him on my shoulder so I will start doing that as well

He has stopped crying as much whenever I'm holding him but he still has trouble falling asleep in his bed :( I can't find a ticking clock but I have a stuffed animal in there.