Care Of Orphaned Kitten: Overeating/crying Etc.

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had an orphaned kitten for 4 days now (He did have a brother initially but he died within the first few hours from what I believe was internal damage which happened before I got him,,,)

However, this one loves to eat - from day 1 he has eaten more than a typical kitten would. Initially, he ate 3 ml consistently but now is eating 5 ml and has eaten up to 7-8. He has pretty bad diarrhea which happened quickly, so I've been trying to limit his feedings to 4 ml bc I believe its from overfeeding.

Everything I said told me that the kitten will let me know when he is done eating and not to worry about it, but he eats really fast so maybe he doesn't know when he is done? I am not sure if I should limit his feedings further to 3ml or let him eat however much he wants. I'm also considering giving him a small amount of Pedialyte to help prevent dehydration.

For those curious, I feed him Pet Ag kitten formula (had a bad experience with KMR so I don't use it) using a 5ml oral syringe. Thank you!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No limits on a kittens feedings. If he has diarrhea he likely has something going inside, like worms, that is making him not process food right. If the diarrhea is still happening, see a vet to get proper treatment.

Do you know how old he is?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No limits on a kittens feedings. If he has diarrhea he likely has something going inside, like worms, that is making him not process food right. If the diarrhea is still happening, see a vet to get proper treatment.

Do you know how old he is?
Yes he is 4 days old now, I got him within 16 hrs of him being born

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Initially everything seemed fine and he didn't have any diarrhea until the 2nd time which is why I thought it was overfeeding

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep him warm also, a heating pad set on low with a couple towels over it, and socks partly filled with dry rice or beans, heated (test on your own skin) --youll need to maintain the heat in the socks :)

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep him warm also, a heating pad set on low with a couple towels over it, and socks partly filled with dry rice or beans, heated (test on your own skin) --youll need to maintain the heat in the socks :)
Thank you ! I keep him in a basket with a heating pad (on low) & blankets

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens should be allowed to eat as much as they want, they’re growing so fast! I second what Kieka said; I would recommend taking him to the vet to see what’s causing the diarrhea. He might have intestinal parasites or something. If possible, I would recommend bringing in a sample of the diarrhea. The vet can run a fecal float test, and look under the microscope for parasite eggs.

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you stimulating him to potty in conjunction with meals?
Yes I am before every feeding although hes also going by himself due to his issue (probably every 3 hours he goes)

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens should be allowed to eat as much as they want, they’re growing so fast! I second what Kieka said; I would recommend taking him to the vet to see what’s causing the diarrhea. He might have intestinal parasites or something. If possible, I would recommend bringing in a sample of the diarrhea. The vet can run a fecal float test, and look under the microscope for parasite eggs.
thank you! If this problem persists I will definitely be taking him to see a vet

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before I take him to the vet, are there any negative side effects to giving a kitten Albon without a proper diagnosis? What he has looks really similar to what a kitten of mine had before (at about 1 week) and the vet gave me Albon for it, which I still have. I can definitely say now that it's not a result of overfeeding

Obviously, if it has any chance of harming the kitten without proper diagnosis I won't give him any but I would like to try it if it doesn't just bc vet visits are expensive where I live.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Albon treats Coccidia, this has a 14 day gestation. So if he's only 5 days old, this isn't it.
That being said, when my kittens were 14 days and they got Giardia, the shelter had me give them a 5 day dose of Albon thinking it Cociddia. When that didn't work, they then put them on a 7 day dose of Panacur and 10 day dose of amoxicillin. I had to give them a probiotic, but they were fine.

The poop at this age should have a toothpaste consistency. If it's runnier than that, you should take him to the vet for the proper treatment.

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, the vet prescribed Albon but now I'm worried it won't work lol

Like I said though another kitten had something similar to this and although he clearly told me it wouldn't be able to gestate because the kittens too young, he still prescribed it. So maybe it secretly treats something else lol

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Helloo so my little kitten has yet another little issue... he will not stop crying, at all. He just started doing this a day or 2 ago.

I feed him all he wants until he is clearly uninterested in eating, I pet and rub him, make him go to the bathroom, etc. but whether he is in my hands or in his bed he spends at least 10-15 minutes crying before even trying to sleep.
To clarify the kitten is now 5 days old, he is sick with some sort of intestinal (?) parasite and is taking Albon for it.

All I really want to know is why he is doing this and if there's any way I can help him. He is constantly trying to crawl around while crying even when I'm holding him.

Last edited by a moderator:

macabres

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I write this he is doing it, he just lays in the middle of his bed and screams/cries. Even when I pick him up or try to feed him he does it. Is he hurting?