Canned beverage

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Being a native of PA, I say "soda", as does my sister. Her kids have mainly grown up in the Midwest, where "pop" is the usual term. Ditto "bag" and "sack" at the supermarket.
Any non-alcoholic carbonated beverage is called "Limo(nade)" in German, so I point out to my students that "lemonade" is a "false friend", and that "limo" is short for "limousine".

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

Laona....35 miles east of Rhinelander. What town do you live in?
I live in a smaller town-Freedom(halfway between Appleton & Green Bay).

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

I may not be from Tennessee, but I say Coke as well!
I'm from Georgia, the HOME of Coca Cola (Atlanta).
Hey, I have an uncle who lives in Atlanta! You might just know my uncle! That'd be cool!

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I agree most people either call it soda or pop. Coke is a brand name.You southerners are weird. What up with sweet tea anyway.
I am from Arkansas, and it is coke. Only the foreigners call it anything else. If you say I want a fizzy drink, you would be looked at like you have lost your head. When people make fun of the "Damn Yankees" (happens by many people, esp. around sporting events) is the only time you ever here soda or soda pop.

Sweet tea is a staple down here. Some people call it iced tea, but every food establishment sells it down here. Even McD brews sweet tea. I dont drink coke, I do drink a lot of sweet tea with lemon (and mint too if they have it). There is nothing in the world more refreshing on a hot day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ

I am from Arkansas, and it is coke. Only the foreigners call it anything else. If you say I want a fizzy drink, you would be looked at like you have lost your head. When people make fun of the "Damn Yankees" (happens by many people, esp. around sporting events) is the only time you ever here soda or soda pop.

Sweet tea is a staple down here. Some people call it iced tea, but every food establishment sells it down here. Even McD brews sweet tea. I dont drink coke, I do drink a lot of sweet tea with lemon (and mint too if they have it). There is nothing in the world more refreshing on a hot day.
ahhhhh another arkansan on here...i'm from LR....glad to meet ya!!

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ

...Sweet tea is a staple down here. Some people call it iced tea, but every food establishment sells it down here. Even McD brews sweet tea. I dont drink coke, I do drink a lot of sweet tea with lemon (and mint too if they have it). There is nothing in the world more refreshing on a hot day.
When I order tea, I always order "unsweet" tea --- as very often I find that the sweet is TOO sweet for me. If I order it unsweet, then I can sweeten it to my taste.

Cindy

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoseHawke

When I order tea, I always order "unsweet" tea --- as very often I find that the sweet is TOO sweet for me. If I order it unsweet, then I can sweeten it to my taste.

Cindy
I used to do the same - even carried a small container of Equal tablets in my purse, as not all restaurants have it.
I've had to grow accustomed to ordering simply "iced tea" up north here - the only way they serve it is "unsweet" - you want sugar, add it yourself, and if you order "unsweet" they look at you like you've got a third eyeball!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RicaLynn

the only way they serve it is "unsweet" - you want sugar, add it yourself, and if you order "unsweet" they look at you like you've got a third eyeball!
lol
good one!

julya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

I may not be from Tennessee, but I say Coke as well!
I'm from Georgia, the HOME of Coca Cola (Atlanta).
Heehee, us Southerners know it's called Coke!
Silly Northerners.
j/k.

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
in Ne. we called it pop. When I moved to California everyone berated me and said it is soda. One day we went to a gas station and the sign said candy cigarettes pop......LOL, I said you had better tell them then!

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eburgess

It's Pop not Soda... One of the most heard arguement at WVU, thatis trumped only by who sucks the most, Marshall, Pitt, or Virginia Tech.
Same as Penn State, but there we debated over Pitt, West Virginia (sorry), and Notre Dame.