Can you dance?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

I can, but I don't like to. I took lessons a few years back to try and meet women. That worked very well, except most of them were married and trying to get away from their controlling husbands. I learned little bits of everything including swing, waltz, cha cha, fox trot, merengue, mambo (I heard "Mambo number 5" a million times!
) salsa, rhumba, east cost swing, west coat swing, blah blah blah... Student of some, master of none that's for sure. As much as I don't like dancing, I liked fox trot the most. Definitely a good weapon to romance women with later down the road.
I hope I don't have to use it though. Fwan, you will love the first two styles you mentioned. I totally understand why Picasso had such strong opinions on dancing and close relationships. I had really strong opinions on tango in particular.
Too bad youre not closer wyan!! im sure you would Love Dancing with me

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took ballet lessons for 20 years, and was in a semi professional troupe when I was 12-17. We worked with the city's theater group, and learned dances for the plays they did. We took ballroom dancing lessons because so many dances are based in the same moves. I was a dancin' fool during the disco era. A few of my friends got me up on the dance floor on my birthday, but I felt ridiculous. I had not danced for about 20 years before that.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i cant dance AT ALL. i like to dance though. only in fri=ont of the cat and family cause we can all laugh. and i do in the car too when that song My humps comes on! LOL

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago, I took six weeks of jazz classes. We worked diligently every week on our very Fosse-esque routine to "New York, New York," always facing AWAY from the mirrors, because the instructor said the mirrors would make it too easy for us to cheat and not memorize the steps.

By the last class, we had the whole routine down pat, so we asked the instructor to let us turn around and FACE the mirrors for our "last dance."

He blanched. "Are you sure you want to do that?"

"Yes!" "Absolutely!" "Come on, we want to see how we look!"

"Okay, then," he said. We all turned to face the mirrors and struck the opening pose, with our little plastic bowler hats tipped down over our foreheads. The music started, and we danced.

OHHHH, how we danced...

The shame, the heartbreak, the sheer horror of it... we could scarcely believe what we were seeing in those mirrors. How could we FEEL so good doing that routine, but LOOK so unbelievably BAD?

It's funny, in retrospect. We had all developed our own special dance outfits, with our little leotards and legwarmers and neckscarves and so forth... we were so cool when we walked down to Starbuck's after each class and people thought we were a troupe of Real Dancers... and we all felt so very sophisticated, memorizing that complicated routine and moving through it soooooo smoothly...

But we LOOKED slightly less graceful than a flock of rhinos lumbering across the African plain. ~ sigh ~

So... can I dance? Evidently, only in a room without mirrors. :-)

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how to arabic dance....I had to learn for my wedding, because after we do the lead out we had to break out into an arabic dance....

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I can dance and I love to dance!
I took lessons for years in ballet, tap and jazz and performed in quite a few shows. Now, if I could only get Will to go out dancing with me! He doesn't like to dance.

miyas_mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I can dance. Not great or even good, but I'm pretty decent. I took tap, jazz and ballet for 2 years when I was a kid, a ballroom dance class in college for 3 months, Japanese dance for about 1 or 2 months and other dances from watching people on TV. Even choreographed some dance pieces. It's great exercise!

I've even try to dance with Miya. I was doing a little tango number and a salsa number while my parents were watching. They laughed and said, "Gee, If I were Miya, I'd really hate you right now."

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I waltz with Gibby, but I'm in general a bit of a poor dancer. I learn choreographed routines well, and can even dance freeform a bit, but a social dance, nope. I can never remember what foot. That said, we're going to start carolina shag in February.

kitty_cat_lover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The truth? I couldn't dance if my life depended on it. Nor can I sing. my singings worse then my dancing, which is saying something. If i'm in my room alone and thers a song I like on my radio, then yes, I will dance....after I lock my door.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love dancing. It's probably my favorite thing to do actually. I dance, all the time. I dance in the shower, I dance at work More than I should, I dance going to my car, I dance at the grocery store, I dance in my house practically all day(when the man's not home anyway, he doesnt really like me to dance all that often), I dance at the clubs, Heck, I even dance in church. lol

What can I say? I dont really know, other than I like to dance, there really is no explanation for it. On new year's I was told that I can "drop it like it's hot" better than anyone on the dance floor. lol! LOVE IT!!