can someone please explain this to me

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I have 5 Grandkids and they range in age one is 18, two are 17 one is 14 and one is 10, sometimes they look a little weird, but hey there kids,I don't judge people for how they look it's just the way things are today, if you need compromise a bit. We all grew up with fads some a little stranger then others

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

Your hair looks nice now.

I have to agree with other posters on many diffrent levels. I never went to huge extremes with my hair. i think the biggest change i did, was for a spice girl concert. yes I can admit i listened to them....at the same time i was big into Oasis (still am into Oasis..teheh) Anyways I died my hair bright red, and added the blonde chunks for ginger spice. My hair hated me for sometime after that.

I mostly did reds in my hair, i am naturally a dark brunette in the summer i get red highlights naturally and depending on how much i wear a hat out on trails someitmes blonde.

I have now stopped dyeing my hair totally. I didnt want to keep stressing it out. The funny thing, is i had just trimmed it, and "dyed it back to normal" the day before i met steve...a sign maybe? lol
I have been dying mine for 40 years, I am naturally blond but I have worn it red all these years, it's the only color that I never get tired of. And I used to be a hairdresser where you try everything and anything when you are in school, don't even want to go there

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My husband's youngest sister lived with us for her freshman and sophomore years of high school (long story ... I aged a lot those two years
). Shawn's sister's desire to color her hair unusual colors was, in her case, a reflection of her inward desire to largely renounce society's norms, including norms of behavior. (That's not the case with everyone, of course.) Some of society's norms are there for a reason, though. Partially to enforce that notion with her (and partially because it was, in fact, hideous) we did not allow her to permanently color her hair blue or green*, just as when she was out with us, we expected her to maintain a certain level of ... decorum. We did allow her to dress a little differently around her friends, to temporarily paint her hair whatever colors when she went out with them, to act differently when she was around them—within reason.

Some teens who look quite odd are very nice kids, and some who appear to be the typical preps are just waiting for a chance to pull a fast one. Still, often the desire to display a markedly different appearance reflects a desire to BE very different from the norm you see around you. Like it or not, outward appearance is a way of communicating SOMETHING to the outside world. If it weren't, who would bother? After all, you only look in the mirror a few times a day. So when you say to your mother that you want to LOOK different from her, she may well perceive it as you saying you want to BE different from her. It might seem to her that you are rejecting all the work she has put into you.

*She was allowed to color her hair; it just had to be at least close to a color that might appear in nature on the head of someone who hadn't been involved in an industrial accident of any sort. My personal favorite was actually a sort of purplish burgundy. Would have looked silly on most people, but it completely suited her. Anyway.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the new look on you
Glad you've worked things out. Just for the record, like some other mum's on here, when my little boy had his hair cut, the stylist would put whatever coloured gel in his hair he wanted and he thought it was the best thing in the world to have his hair like that! All spiked up and a funny colour - it puts the fun into sitting still for a long time, for a kid.

I don't know why your mum would want to stop you from this freedom of expression - she might have any number of reasons known only to herself. The important thing is that you've come to a compromise.