can old cat eat kitten food?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiger gets kitten food and also adult only because his poor sensiitve tummy can't handle canned food. No matter if it's high quality canned, he just can't tolerate it he throws it up right after he gets it down and he needs to be kept at a decent weight. There is also ocean whitefish or fish in a lot of canned food and he cannot tolerate that crap. He can eat salmon with no problems though that we have for dinner on occasion and tuna. He is skinnier than I like, but he is pretty healthy and getting up there in age, so he cannot afford to lose any weight. He is about 10-11 I know that's not old but I like to keep his weight up since he's lean by nature.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

Minka says that it's like an ideally 125-pound human weighing 185 pounds--that's overweight, not obese.
Actually with the general definition of 20-25% over ideal body weight equaling obesity, a doctor would define this person as being such.

If his health is good, it won't hurt him to carry around an extra pound.
Correction. Two and a half extra pounds. Which is almost a third of his original body weight.

Space1101, you are doing a good thing by being proactive about his weight. It will make him feel so much better and make it much easier to move around. Talk to your vet about his weight goal and remember no more than 1-2% weight loss per week. Cheers! :-)

stormgirl68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What about the diarrhoea that these cats are getting from eating kitten food. My old boy (16) has eaten the food of our kitten and gets the runs. Surely that's bad for old cats????

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What about the diarrhoea that these cats are getting from eating kitten food. My old boy (16) has eaten the food of our kitten and gets the runs. Surely that's bad for old cats????
If your old guy is getting diarrhea from eating your kitten's food, then that's not good.  Perhaps you could mix the kitten's food in with his food a little at a time until his system gets used to it, just like you would do if transitioning to any other food.   Do you give him a probiotic?  That might help too.  Lots of give our cats probiotics.  (human ones are fine, just give them less...maybe 1/2 capsule per day)

mum of two

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes.  Once I was concerned about my 4 year old loosing some weight.  My vet recommended mixing kitten food with his adult food as its much richer than adult food.

Last edited:

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it ok to give 20 year old cat innova kitten/cat can or other kitten food? My cat loves kitten food and hates food made for senior cats.
have you tried mixing the two ? I know kitten food makes seniors gain weight but i dont know about innova kitten :/

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Up until she became unable to eat solid food, I was feeding my female kitty (who is going on 15) kitten chow (and canned food). She would eat the other cats' food (a special urinary tract health formula) and not gain an ounce. Someone suggested kitten food since it has higher nutritional value - Kitty loved it and began to eat only that and her wet food. It's just hard to feed her because she would meow to be fed about every 3 hours, even at night. And I couldn't leave the food out anywhere for her to help herself because the other cats would find it....and they do not need it (my two males are about 15 and 20+ pounds respectively). So in my experience, you can safely feed an adult cat of any age kitten food. I did it to help with weight and it did the trick - my female cat has always been very long and slender, but she easily put on 3 or 4 pounds at least just from the kitten food.