Can I mix foods?

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I have a question! I am wondering, if it is possible to mix foods? Like brands : purina pro plan, purina one and feringa classic meat menu. I mean for a few days to give one type, then change to another type. Bceause I am afraid my cat gets bored if he always gets the same food. He refuses everything fish flavoured!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure! Whatever your cat will eat so long as it's healthy. Change up or mix together whatever foods your cat likes.

If there are certain issues where he can't eat certain foods, that changes things a bit but you can still mix whichever foods are okay for your cat to eat.

I'd sure get bored with eating if all I got was a balogna sandwich with mustard every day. Cats probably don't like it any better when they eat the same thing every day, either. Whatever your cat likes best. :)

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sure you can! There's potential drawbacks though as giving too much variety can in some cats lead to pickiness, cats with sensitive stomachs may not tolerate such variability, or cats prone to food allergies may develop an allergy or sensitivity to more ingredients as they've been exposed to more. On the flip side, feeding only one food can also make it harder for them to accept something new down the road if it's necessary for health reasons or their food becoming unavailable. So I've gone the route of too many options- at least for wet food. Their kibble stays consistent and the wet food varies pretty widely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
We feed Belle different brands and different flavors throughout the day. She gets wet and raw three times a day with the occasional treat.
that sounds really good! I give my Luke some raw too time to time !

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sure! Whatever your cat will eat so long as it's healthy. Change up or mix together whatever foods your cat likes.

If there are certain issues where he can't eat certain foods, that changes things a bit but you can still mix whichever foods are okay for your cat to eat.

I'd sure get bored with eating if all I got was a balogna sandwich with mustard every day. Cats probably don't like it any better when they eat the same thing every day, either. Whatever your cat likes best. :)
yes!!! my little Luke tends to get bored very quickly, so I am glad it's safe to mix ! I've been once in a feline nutrition group on face book and I read there that it is dangerous to mix the food.. while I was mixing it already for a good while. Then I stopped, but he got bored quickly so I started mixing again and then found this site and was thinking I should ask about it !!!

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sure you can! There's potential drawbacks though as giving too much variety can in some cats lead to pickiness, cats with sensitive stomachs may not tolerate such variability, or cats prone to food allergies may develop an allergy or sensitivity to more ingredients as they've been exposed to more. On the flip side, feeding only one food can also make it harder for them to accept something new down the road if it's necessary for health reasons or their food becoming unavailable. So I've gone the route of too many options- at least for wet food. Their kibble stays consistent and the wet food varies pretty widely.
yes! our kibble is the same too, all the time. I just recently changed from the veterinary- urinary kibble to normal kibble for neutered cats!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um... I don't give much credence to things I read on FB. ;)

Certainly, there are plenty of knowledgeable people but it's real common for discussions to devolve into a "herd mentality" that doesn't have much basis in reality.

Yes, you should consider things but, as long as you feed things that your cat can eat without problem, there shouldn't be any issues unless you are feeding things that are exotic or out of the ordinary.

Be careful of supplements, though. There are too many people who go too far down the rabbit hole, into supplements and herbal remedies. Sure, there are plenty of good supplements but there's also a lot of snake oil and even a few things that can be harmful.

Just feed the "regular" things that your cat likes to eat and don't worry about mixing or offering alternatives.

As always... YMMV. (Your mileage may vary. ;) ) Use your own good judgement and I'm confident that your cat will be okay. :)

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Certainly, there are plenty of knowledgeable people but it's real common for discussions to devolve into a "herd mentality" that doesn't have much basis in reality.
Totally agree. I've stayed out of those groups on Facebook because they're full of fear mongering and pseudoscience. I don't take well to food shaming whether it's for humans or pets.

As long as a food is AAFCO approved as a complete diet (not supplemental feeding) your cat is getting the nutrients it needs. Feeding some mythical "ideal" diet would have minimal if any benefit over "good enough" and IMO isn't worth stressing over.

catdad61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lunar gets 4 1oz kibble meals, Purina One and 1 3oz can of wet food, 'Cats in the Kitchen' variety a day. Lucky for us she isn't a picky eater. It keeps her right around 240 -260 kcal/day.

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise

Yes, you should consider things but, as long as you feed things that your cat can eat without problem, there shouldn't be any issues unless you are feeding things that are exotic or out of the ordinary.

Be careful of supplements, though. There are too many people who go too far down the rabbit hole, into supplements and herbal remedies. Sure, there are plenty of good supplements but there's also a lot of snake oil and even a few things that can be harmful.

Just feed the "regular" things that your cat likes to eat and don't worry about mixing or offering alternatives.

As always... YMMV. (Your mileage may vary. ;) ) Use your own good judgement and I'm confident that your cat will be okay. :)
thank you! also, I have to give him, I think now some supplements. He is now thru lots and lots of treatments and hard medicine for his kidneys and urinary issues and pneumonia :( I used to give him this RXvitamins cranberry when he was off the meds but still needed something to help his urinary tract. It worked very well with him back then, so I found they also have this multivamine thing RXessentials for cats that I was thinking about getting him. Is this brand common there by any chance?

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
Totally agree. I've stayed out of those groups on Facebook because they're full of fear mongering and pseudoscience. I don't take well to food shaming whether it's for humans or pets.

As long as a food is AAFCO approved as a complete diet (not supplemental feeding) your cat is getting the nutrients it needs. Feeding some mythical "ideal" diet would have minimal if any benefit over "good enough" and IMO isn't worth stressing over.
yes! I had stopped looking into those groups too,because of the constant food shaming and like constant aruging who was right and what not.
I am glad I did things in the right way tho in the end ! :tabbycat:

rentuna

Luke the warrior
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lunar gets 4 1oz kibble meals, Purina One and 1 3oz can of wet food, 'Cats in the Kitchen' variety a day. Lucky for us she isn't a picky eater. It keeps her right around 240 -260 kcal/day.
thats awesome ! My Luke is also on Purina One still! ( I do also have feringa, smilla and purina pro plan wet food, that I keep mixing because he is extremely picky :dizzy: )

CrazedCatLady

Owner of six cats!🐈
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have a question! I am wondering, if it is possible to mix foods? Like brands : purina pro plan, purina one and feringa classic meat menu. I mean for a few days to give one type, then change to another type. Bceause I am afraid my cat gets bored if he always gets the same food. He refuses everything fish flavoured!
For sure you can! I mix hair ball control dry food with the tasty dry food my cats adore!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We do Purina Pro Plan, Iams Perfect Portions and Wureva.

There's no issues and cats are happy and in good health.