Calling all Cross Stitchers!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I am to a point where I need to know how to do a french knot. I can't figure it out for nothing!! Any helpful hints?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! That looks so easy compared to what I was trying and trying and trying to do!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make a copy of the pattern first. That way I can always refer back to the original if I need to, plus I can do it again at another time if I want to.

I find the centre of the canvas and start there.

Then I work outward from the centre.

I don't skip over more than 2 stitches because it can get confusing and easy to make a mistake which is hard to correct if you find it late.

I use a yellow highlight marker to cross out the squares on the pattern that I've done. I don't cross each off as I do them, I usually do about 5 or 10 and then go and colour them in. You being new might want to start off colouring every couple until you get the hang of it.

I work using an embrodery hoop so that the canvas stays flat. It's also easier to work with.

Another good idea is to get one of those magnifier things that hang around your neck and it props against your chest or stomach so that you can hold the hoop below it and see what you are doing in a larger scale.

I tend to use 32 count linen for my cross stitch and using that tight of weave is almost like cross stitching on your T-Shirt, so the magnifier really comes in handy.

Another tip is to have good lighting.

Here is the one that I'm currently working on. I'm almost finished. Just have the lower right corner, right border, and upper right corner to do.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a beautiful pattern, Natalie.

Phenomsmom - I use the bars to hold the fabric in place. Not sure what they are called lol, but they are sold at craft stores. I start in the middle and work my way out. I haven't crossed off many patterns, just three. One was called Smoky Mountain Cats. It was a larger piece and had so many shades of blue it was almost impossible for me to keep track of them. Came out really nice, though.
The other two were of wolves with many shades of grown and grey.

Good luck! Before you know it, you will have so many patterns, you can never finish them all!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, dumb, question. for years, have had a pattern for some world war 1 airplanes. that i would like to do. any good books that i can learn how to do this.. and please dont tell any of my friends, that i asked this quesiton lol

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

ok, dumb, question. for years, have had a pattern for some world war 1 airplanes. that i would like to do. any good books that i can learn how to do this.. and please dont tell any of my friends, that i asked this quesiton lol
Lots of Cross stitch magazines have free kits on them that are good for beginers, The little kit contains every thing you need to make it and the instructions are in the mag. It is a good way to start and find out if you like it

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Here is the one that I'm currently working on. I'm almost finished. Just have the lower right corner, right border, and upper right corner to do.

I've done enough cross stitch to say - WOW - that's a lot of work!! Looks like you did this on 32 count linen (my favorite)?

This looks a lot like the design series from years ago that had mystical horse patterns called "Trotter" and "Prancer". Is it from that series by chance? I can't remember the designer off hand.

Does anyone have any favorite designers? I used to buy a lot of Gloria and Pat and actually met Gloria once and got her autograph on one of her books. She died shortly after that so they stopped producing them in the 1980's.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just looked up the Prancer book - done by Dreamscape, but I wonder if Teresa Wentzler didn't do those designs - they are so similar. Hey - I've heard of Wentzler!

I used to do a lot on 28-32 count linen. If I wanted a bigger picture, I went over 2 squares, but if you did 32 over 1 square, it looked like a piece of art. My poor old eyes can't handle anything smaller than 28 these days.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to use a line magnifier or Bug's eye to mark my spot on the pattern - moves around easily and doesn't mess it up. I've found the best place for supplies and patterns is Marilyn's, which is an American company. This is the link:
http://www.marilyns.com/

I find that they carry a lot of the different types of threads that are difficult to find in Canada. I also subscribe to Stoney Creek magazine (have for years) - has tons of patterns in it, and I love the patterns that they design.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh I LOVE cross stitch! I have done some cool ones, lots of cats, I make them up sometimes too. Or take patterns and combine and edit them or change colors. Other then cats I like crossstitching any animals really. I want to look for something that can hang loosly on the wall that combines jungle animals with the alphabet for my nephew. I found a picture of a great one in an ad in a cross stitch magazine, but no where did it tell where the pattern came from. And it was too complicated to make up on my own.

I also like Charles Wysocki and that style of art. So I do cross stich and puzzles where I put the glue on it and frame them for my mom who also loves him.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I've done enough cross stitch to say - WOW - that's a lot of work!! Looks like you did this on 32 count linen (my favorite)?

This looks a lot like the design series from years ago that had mystical horse patterns called "Trotter" and "Prancer". Is it from that series by chance? I can't remember the designer off hand.

Does anyone have any favorite designers? I used to buy a lot of Gloria and Pat and actually met Gloria once and got her autograph on one of her books. She died shortly after that so they stopped producing them in the 1980's.
The pattern is by Teresa Wentzler. It's her "Carousel Horses for all Seasons" series. The "Spring" pattern which is the image I posted above is no longer available. I think the only one still available is "Winter". You can see all 4 at the link below. Scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.salt-and-pepper.com/matsTW2.htm

She has a number of wonderful patterns.

I am working on 32 count linen and going blind in the process, hehe

I am not sure if I plan on doing the other 3 seasons or not, and not sure that if I do if I will do it on 32 count linen. The high count makes for what almost looks like a painting, but it's very difficult to work with for long periods because it's hard on the eyes...at least on my eyes.

I do know that after I finish the "Spring" pattern that I'm going to switch to some smaller projects on 14 count so that I can have a sense of accomplishment. Quite frustrating to be working on the same pattern for so long. I started this one 7 or 8 years ago, LOL I put it down for months at a time and then work on it a little bit here and there for a few weeks and then put it down again. But I have vowed to finish it!

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Oh my heavens Natalie...this is gorgeous! Just gorgeous!

I have a few that I've done...but not too many...I'll have to go dig 'em up and scan some pics of them for y'all....

Hilda>^..^<

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I find it's easiest to go left to right, top to bottom thru the pattern. Pick a color and do all of that color within a small section, then change colors and do more. Going in this pattern also helps keep the stitches more uniform.

I found a metal board with a magnet magnifier with a line in the middle of it to place over your pattern. It really helps you keep track of where you are.
I do the very same thing, I always start at the top and work my way down to the bottom

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

First, here is a book similar to the one I used when learning to cross stitch.
http://www.leisurearts.com/all_skill...BK&startRec=60 Nowadays, there are many tutorials online.

Second, men have been stitching in varous ways for eons. Cavemen probably stitched hides together, indiginous people in many cultures still do, shop classes used to teach leatherwork which is just a "manly" form of stitching - maybe because it takes big needles?

Then there are tailors and shoemakers/bootmakers. Same thing, it is all stitching.
One of my ex boyfriends, long ago, tried to teach me how to knit. I still don't know how. Of course, he tried to teach me how to drive, too! I learned but not from him

Get a small kit that doesn't cost much but with a simple pattern (14 count Aida is good) and not too many colors. Something you can mess up and rework without hurting your wallet.
I have several of these patterns - look easy and are just adorable. I haven't had time to actually stich them yet but will someday.
http://www.123stitch.com/kats.html

Let us know how it comes out

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to cross stitch too, I am waiting to find out what kind of baby my daughter is having so she can pick out something from one of my books for me to do for the baby.

I probably have over 300 books.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

I love to cross stitch too, I am waiting to find out what kind of baby my daughter is having so she can pick out something from one of my books for me to do for the baby.

I probably have over 300 books.
I still have a lot, too. With all the moving I've done, I have given many away. Still have more than I will ever be able to stitch. Let us know what one you decide to make. I would like to see it

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I still have a lot, too. With all the moving I've done, I have given many away. Still have more than I will ever be able to stitch. Let us know what one you decide to make. I would like to see it
I will, I have always done mostly wedding and baby ones anyways.

I probably have about 50 or so baby ones for her to pick from.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I learned to cross-stitch, Naomi wanted to learn too. She didn't care for it too much, but had to be doing something like mom, so she developed her own style of needlework. Here's something she designed herself and did herself...she must have been around 8 or 9 at the time...(notice the pink 'flowers' in the windowboxes...they are actually french knots!)....

So sweet, it sits on my bedside table along with lots of other special gifts from my sweethearts

Hilda>^..^<