By Request: Homemade, Natural, Safe Household Cleaning Solutions

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I posted in another thread saying that I make my own cleaning products and a few people asked for the recipes. I did a quick TCS search to make sure there wasn't already a recent, active discussion about this, so here we go.

I started making my own household products for the health and safety of me and my three children...ahem...cats.
  The more research I did, the more I learned how toxic commercial stuff can be, even if only subtle. Another huge plus...I am saving SO much money. I buy the ingredients in bulk from a wholesale distributor like BJs or Costco. The cost savings allows me to put the money elsewhere for my cats, such as good food, vet visits, and proper in-home care. I've made significant changes in my life, now also no longer using commercial shampoo, conditioner, or body/face soap. I'm still try to figure out how to make a natural, safe laundry detergent that actually works and doesn't use tallow.

There is much debate over which ingredients are safe for cats and which are not. Based on my research, I just felt more comfortable avoiding bleach and borax for indoor surface cleaning, although you'll find many people still use these. There are so many variations of these recipes online, but I tried several combinations and found these to work the best for me. Feel free to post your safe recipes and ideas, too!

HOMEMADE FLOOR/ALL-PURPOSE CLEANER
Adapted from http://naturesnurtureblog.com/2012/04/19/homemade-floor-all-purpose-cleaner/. I do not use the essentials oils as the original recipe states. When using this for floors, it will temporarily make the room have a strong vinegar smell, but it DOES go away shortly after drying.

1 cup water
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup rubbing alcohol (acts as a disinfectant and helps surfaces to dry quickly)
2-3 drops Dawn or natural liquid Castile soap
Fine mist spray bottle (24 oz.)

Add all ingredients to spray bottle and shake well to combine. For floors: Sweep/vacuum floor to remove loose dust and hair. Mist floor lightly with cleaner. Wipe with a clean cloth. I use a Swiffer Sweeper with a bar mop cloth affixed to it. Allow the floor to dry completely before allowing pets to walk across it. Please do a spot test on your floors first to make sure you're going to be happy with the result! For countertops, stovetops, sinks, etc.: Simply spray and wipe.

HOMEMADE GLASS CLEANER
Straight white vinegar works great, or you can use the following recipe.

1/2 cup water
1 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon rubbing alcohol (helps glass to dry quickly and reduce streaking)
Fine mist spray bottle (16 oz.)

Add all ingredients to spray bottle and shake to combine. Spray glass and wipe with a clean cloth.

HOMEMADE CARPET CLEANER
For light to medium pet stains and messes. So far, this cleaner has worked for 90% of the messes my cats have made on the carpet, including vomit, hairballs, and poo streaks (you know what I'm talking about). A very dark vomit stain may require a stronger cleaner. Unfortunately, this cleaner does NOT work for cat urine. You'll need an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle for urine.

2 cups water
2 cups white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon natural liquid Castile soap
Large spray bottle (32 oz.)

Always spot test first! I have light tan carpets, and have not tried this on dark carpets. Add all ingredients to spray bottle and shake well to combine. Carefully lift and discard any solids. Thoroughly blot (do not rub) the soiled area with dry paper towels or colorfast cloths/rags. Try to get as much up as possible. Generously spray soiled area with carpet cleaner. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. With a warm, damp colorfast cloth, use fingertips to work the cleaner through the carpet fibers. I scrub pretty hard for a few minutes (sometimes my arm starts hurting). If necessary, repeat spray, sit and scrub. Vacuum when dry.

CARPET DEODORIZER
Sprinkle baking soda directly on dry carpet. If you'd like, you may work the baking soda through the carpet a little with your fingertips. Let sit for as long as desired. (I let it sit for a day or two, and my cats did not bother it.) Vacuum thoroughly.

LITTER BOX DEODORIZER
I'm sure you all know about this! Sprinkle a thin layer of baking soda on bottom of litter box/pan before adding fresh litter. The baking soda will naturally mix with the litter as your cat uses the box.

LAUNDRY DEODORIZER

Need a little extra deodorizing power in your laundry load? Add clothes to washer, sprinkle about 1/2-1 cup (depending on load size) of baking soda over clothes, add detergent and wash as normally would.

LAUNDRY OOMPH

Need a little boost in cleaning power for your laundry load? Add 1/2-1 cup (depending on load size) of white vinegar to your load. You can use detergent and wash as you normally would. Do not use vinegar and baking soda together! When combined they have a chemical reaction and will begin to foam. It is not harmful, but it may leave an unwanted white film on your laundry.

ANT DETERRENT
I had a bit of an ant problem this summer, but found out they were attracted to wet cat food and could smell it all the way from outside! They were coming in through my sliding glass door where my patio is. I now promptly pick up the wet cat food as soon as the cats are done, wipe the floor with the Homemade Floor Cleaner (see above), and use the following ant deterrents. No more ants!

Herbal peppermint tea bags (100% dried peppermint is best) - place in corners or places where ants come in; I found cheap tea bags at a dollar store. My cats, however, actually liked the tea bags and wouldn't leave them alone! So, I ended up using the next thing:

Dried bay leaves - place whole dried bay leaves in tracks of windows, doors, corners of rooms, etc. I also found these down the spice isle at a discount store for only $1.

Whatever you use, you'll need to change them out from time to time, as they'll lose their potency.

MR. CLEAN MAGIC ERASER

For really tough scuffs, grease and grime, this thing works. I don't know how, but it does. Had to mention it.

Okay, that's all I have for now! Enjoy! 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow!  This is great.  I use vinegar in my dishwasher when the glasses start getting foggy.  Never occurred to me to use it on the floor, too.  Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!  This is great.  I use vinegar in my dishwasher when the glasses start getting foggy.  Never occurred to me to use it on the floor, too.  Thanks!
You're welcome! 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to give these a try! Thank you!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To clean my toilet, I use the following:

1 C baking soda

5 drops Tea Tree Oil

2 C vinegar

Sprinkle baking soda in toilet bowl, getting as much on the sides of the bowl as possible.  (If you flush before cleaning, the baking soda will stick better.)

Drop 5 drops of Tea tree oil (essential oil) around the inside of the bowl

Add the vinegar, getting as much on the sides as possible.  After it stops fizzing, clean the bowl as normal.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have a multi-cyclonic bagless vacuum be careful about vacuuming baking soda.  Arm and Hammer used to make a carpet freshner which was baking soda with fragrance added and I used it on a regular basis.  I burned up a Dyson vacuum with it.  It's such a fine dust that it coats everything it comes in contact with.  I did use it on an almost weekly basis maybe every once in a while would be okay.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a multi-cyclonic bagless vacuum be careful about vacuuming baking soda.  Arm and Hammer used to make a carpet freshner which was baking soda with fragrance added and I used it on a regular basis.  I burned up a Dyson vacuum with it.  It's such a fine dust that it coats everything it comes in contact with.  I did use it on an almost weekly basis maybe every once in a while would be okay.
Yes, this is true. Thank you pointing it out! I have this exact type of vacuum and have to change the filter more frequently if I'm vacuuming up any kind of powder. For those using baking soda on the carpet as a deodorizer, only a light dusting is needed. I just "spot" deodorize where needed - not the entire carpet - and I only do it about once a month.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use vinegar in my tub/shower instead of after shower sprays. It helps keep the shower cleaner between heavy duty scrubs.

I am a big bleach user, mostly because of nursing clinicals and such. I want to reduce how much bleach I use due to fumes and the environment. I'm frequently around TB and C. diff, so bleach is here to stay. BUT, I don't have to go crazy with it. Matter of fact, most people that use bleach
se too much when diluting it. With bleach, a little really does go a long way.

One of the best investments I ever made was buying steamers. I chose a handheld and a floor steamer by HAAN since I don't have to leave it in one place to sanitize like other brands require. The floor model comes with a guard so you can steam carpets, upholstery, and even your mattress! And it's hard to beat the one-time cost and only using water!

I use antibacterial dish soap for handwash-only kitchen stuff, but if you grind meat like I do for cat food then you know how hard it can be to clean those greasy parts afterward. I have a sprayer with 90% alcohol that works fabulously to cut the fat and truly clean the grinder parts. The alcohol spray is great for cleaning anything greasy, actually!

GoHolistic, what are you using for shampoo, conditioner, and soap? I use the curly girl method of cleaning my hair (condish has detergents in them) and use jojoba oil on my face/body/hair.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
One of the best investments I ever made was buying steamers. I chose a handheld and a floor steamer by HAAN since I don't have to leave it in one place to sanitize like other brands require. The floor model comes with a guard so you can steam carpets, upholstery, and even your mattress! And it's hard to beat the one-time cost and only using water!
:yeah: Just about everything in our house gets steamed, including the litter box.

What a useful thread! One other natural ant deterrent is cinnamon.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, steam cleaners are great! You can use just water or a mix of water and white vinegar.
GoHolistic, what are you using for shampoo, conditioner, and soap? I use the curly girl method of cleaning my hair (condish has detergents in them) and use jojoba oil on my face/body/hair.
I wash my hair the old school way (are they still calling it the "no poo" method?) using a dissolved mix of baking soda and water for my shampoo and organic raw apple cider vinegar (Bragg's brand) for a conditioning hair rinse. I will sometimes add a few drops of essential oil to the vinegar rinse depending on what I need that day (tea tree oil for scalp, eucalyptus peppermint for bounce, etc.). If my hair is a little dry and dull, I use a natural leave-in conditioner such an argan/jojoba oil mix and/or vegetable derived keratin. Every few months, I will use a clarifying shampoo to eliminate build-up.

For my body, I use a natural handmade bar soap made with vegetable oils and raw shea butter. For my face, I use nothing but water to wash it and a fine sea salt for exfoliating once a week. I used to have bad acne, which has significantly cleared up since I've stopped using soap on my face.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Curly girl, no poo, natural...it seems to have lots of names!

You're right, many facial soaps are just too harsh and can actually cause acne. I use Dr. Wood's black soap for the face. It even takes off makeup!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Great thread, really useful. Thank you everyone. I've been a big fan of using vinegar and bicarb in cleaning for years but never thought of using bicarb in the litter tray! Ant deterrents are new to me as don't really get bothered by them but others in my family do so will pass on!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adding a 2 litre bottle of regular Coca-Cola to the toilet and letting it sit for 30 minutes before scrubbing with a brush, apparently cleans toilet bowls very well.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Love this thread !
I add about a cup of white vinegar to the washer when I'm washing couch cover sheets that are urine smelly... Works most of the time..... the things we do to live with our furkids.... ;-)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Just mopped the floor with my usual vinegar, hot water and eucalyptus mix.  Must get some Castille to put with it.

Excellent thread!  Well done GoHolistic

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just mopped the floor with my usual vinegar, hot water and eucalyptus mix.  Must get some Castille to put with it.

Excellent thread!  Well done GoHolistic :heart4:
That brings up a point: we should have a list or a link to a list of essential oils that are safe for use around cats.

Other than smell awesome, does eucalyptus offer anything helpful? I've heard that lavender may offer some antibacterial properties but I don't know for sure.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know tea tree oil is bad for cats.  It has something to do with their liver and they don't have to ingest it to have problems from it.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent thread!  Well done GoHolistic
Aw, thanks!
Making natural skin care products and aromatherapy were my passion a few years ago. Then I got a new full-time job where I am crazy busy and three cats with medical issues to slave after.

That brings up a point: we should have a list or a link to a list of essential oils that are safe for use around cats.

Other than smell awesome, does eucalyptus offer anything helpful? I've heard that lavender may offer some antibacterial properties but I don't know for sure.
There is a featured thread right now about essential oils that someone else started. You can find it here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/262921/essential-oils-question

I replied in that thread saying that I think it is best practice to keep all essential oils away from pets, but especially those containing salycilates, phenols, ketones, monoterpenes and d-limonene. Cat's livers cannot break down and excrete these chemical compounds, and they accumulate in the cat's body. Unfortunately, most essential oils fall under one of these compounds. I think that hydrosols or highly diluted formulations of lavender, chamomile and geranium are generally safe. For example, if you wanted to add a few drops of lavender essential oil to the Homemade Floor/All-Purpose Cleaner recipe above, that is okay. I actually tried this the first time I made the cleaner, but I found that the lavender did not aid in reducing the vinegar smell and gave the final product a slight feel of oiliness; totally not what I wanted, so I nixed the essential oils from my future recipe. I still use many other essential oils for me personally (tea tree oil is great for dandruff and spot treating blemishes), but I keep my stash way out of cat reach.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just wanted to add here: I have a friend who cleaned her hardwood floors for years with the vinegar water solution. Recently she discovered that it has damaged the finish on the floors. If you have hardwood floors, check your manufacturers directions before cleaning with vinegar.