By Request: Homemade, Natural, Safe Household Cleaning Solutions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add here: I have a friend who cleaned her hardwood floors for years with the vinegar water solution. Recently she discovered that it has damaged the finish on the floors. If you have hardwood floors, check your manufacturers directions before cleaning with vinegar.
Yes, thank you. I think hardwood floors always need special consideration and care, whether using homemade or commercial cleaning products. The type of wood, stain and finish should all be factored in.

The original recipe for the Homemade Floor Cleaner was designed for hardwood floors, but I use it on my laminate floors (fake hardwood) and vinyl flooring in the kitchen. I spot clean most of the time and do an all-over cleaning maybe one a month. So far I have not had any issues.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Vinegar seems to be used for loads of things. I just had an old wool rug cleaned and that's one of the natural products I was told the firm used (don't know what the others were). They also told me that good quality tobacco is the best thing for deterring clothes moths and to rub in between the floor boards under the rug. Luckily I read the 101 things that can poison your cat before I tried it out! 

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Baking soda in my Microwave. 

I take a coffee cup(or other similar safe container), put in 2tbsp baking soda, and 1/2 cup water. 

Microwave for 2-3 minutes, and when it's done, the grime just wipes right off :)

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Baking soda in my Microwave. 

I take a coffee cup(or other similar safe container), put in 2tbsp baking soda, and 1/2 cup water. 

Microwave for 2-3 minutes, and when it's done, the grime just wipes right off :)
Great tip! 

cat dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could the floor cleaner be used as a counter spray?

I like to spray the counters before cooking just in case there was any midnight counter surfing going on, but don't want to be constantly using chemicals. 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could the floor cleaner be used as a counter spray?

I like to spray the counters before cooking just in case there was any midnight counter surfing going on, but don't want to be constantly using chemicals. 
Absolutely! If you look at the original post, I've called the floor cleaner a "Homemade Floor / All-Purpose Cleaner." I use it on my countertops (formica), flat-top stove (glass), microwave (stainless steel), and even my cheap Ikea dining room table.
  I like to spray lightly and then go over it again if needed.