Buying Traps And Cages

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm planning on buying some traps and cages for my stepmom. She lives in socal and she had the neighborhood cat population stable for a short while but a hard to catch cat had babies since a couple of new toms moved in. The regular traps have served their purpose and she has trapped quite a few cats but she is needing something else and I thought I'd buy her a tomahawk drop trap plus transfer cage(s). My question is, should I buy her 1 or 2 transfer cages? And should the transfer cages ideally be powder coated? It's expensive but she's a serious rescuer these days and she really wants to get the population under control.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How kind of you to help your stepmom out like that!!!! I know from experience that traps can really add up fast cost-wise -- so that's SO sweet of you! And it sounds like your stepmom is really an amazing person who's obviously done alot of good for her feral community (give her a hug for me!).

It sounds like you've got enough experience (as does she), and that you've decided to just go ahead and buy equipment - - but just wanted to make sure you do know most spay/neuter/TNR vet clinics offer free rental of several types of traps for a fully refundable deposit once traps are returned. As do some shelters. But I'm guessing you know about those options and have ruled them out (I know going that way often does mean waiting till what you want is available, so you're kind of at the organization's mercy). I just wanted to make sure you knew (since you never know what people mightn't know!) that "renting" of everything you spoke of is usually and option.

Of course this site has LOTS of people (which I'm sure you already know) who can offer SO much great advice. I usually use the Tomahawk live traps too for TNR. Knock on wood - we've made it without often needing to use transfer cages - but I certainly understand how it can make things alot more "foolproof" (if there is such a thing in TNR :lol: ). I've even used the "cat carrier/water bottle/string and two people" method. But I understand it'd be nice - particularly if she's doing it alone - to have several options at her fingertips (again - GO YOU!).

As far as 1 vs 2 transfer cages - to me it depends on what kind of transfer cage you mean, how much can you afford, and how she'll used it/them. The one I've used (and we liked it - but it's expensive to purchase) is this Tomahawk one (it may be cheaper elsewhere). We really liked it when we actually could use it (other TNR folks must like it too since our clinic rarely has it available to use!):
Traps :: Feral Cat Traps & Accessories :: Feral Cat Trap Accessories :: Neighborhood Cats Dens & Feral Cat Transfer Cages :: 30622 - Two Chamber Feral Cat Transfer Cage

Another organization ( www.neighborhoodcats.org ) has some good pages on transfers and drop traps. Drop trap page is first link -

Neighborhood Cats | How to TNR | Drop Traps

Another site to go to read up on options are Alley Cat Allies - they have a few great pages specifically about traps that even go into which traps are best for which situations. It's one of the best places of found to see suggestions on all types in one spot (they have other advice and literature too!).

Traps and Humane Animal Equipment

Trapping Equipment

And if powder coat's an option - - - I'd pay the extra if you can afford it (sadly we have to take what the clinic has available). But we've had alot of rust issues with the non-powder-coated version - - often making anything that moves (like the trip plates) a bit sticky and tricky!

What a cool thing you're doing! And I hope you'll post what you end up deciding - - - I'd love to hear the final decision!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How kind of you to help your stepmom out like that!!!! I know from experience that traps can really add up fast cost-wise -- so that's SO sweet of you! And it sounds like your stepmom is really an amazing person who's obviously done alot of good for her feral community (give her a hug for me!).

It sounds like you've got enough experience (as does she), and that you've decided to just go ahead and buy equipment - - but just wanted to make sure you do know most spay/neuter/TNR vet clinics offer free rental of several types of traps for a fully refundable deposit once traps are returned. As do some shelters. But I'm guessing you know about those options and have ruled them out (I know going that way often does mean waiting till what you want is available, so you're kind of at the organization's mercy). I just wanted to make sure you knew (since you never know what people mightn't know!) that "renting" of everything you spoke of is usually and option.

Of course this site has LOTS of people (which I'm sure you already know) who can offer SO much great advice. I usually use the Tomahawk live traps too for TNR. Knock on wood - we've made it without often needing to use transfer cages - but I certainly understand how it can make things alot more "foolproof" (if there is such a thing in TNR :lol: ). I've even used the "cat carrier/water bottle/string and two people" method. But I understand it'd be nice - particularly if she's doing it alone - to have several options at her fingertips (again - GO YOU!).

As far as 1 vs 2 transfer cages - to me it depends on what kind of transfer cage you mean, how much can you afford, and how she'll used it/them. The one I've used (and we liked it - but it's expensive to purchase) is this Tomahawk one (it may be cheaper elsewhere). We really liked it when we actually could use it (other TNR folks must like it too since our clinic rarely has it available to use!):
Traps :: Feral Cat Traps & Accessories :: Feral Cat Trap Accessories :: Neighborhood Cats Dens & Feral Cat Transfer Cages :: 30622 - Two Chamber Feral Cat Transfer Cage

Another organization ( www.neighborhoodcats.org ) has some good pages on transfers and drop traps. Drop trap page is first link -

Neighborhood Cats | How to TNR | Drop Traps

Another site to go to read up on options are Alley Cat Allies - they have a few great pages specifically about traps that even go into which traps are best for which situations. It's one of the best places of found to see suggestions on all types in one spot (they have other advice and literature too!).

Traps and Humane Animal Equipment

Trapping Equipment

And if powder coat's an option - - - I'd pay the extra if you can afford it (sadly we have to take what the clinic has available). But we've had alot of rust issues with the non-powder-coated version - - often making anything that moves (like the trip plates) a bit sticky and tricky!

What a cool thing you're doing! And I hope you'll post what you end up deciding - - - I'd love to hear the final decision!
Thank you for your reply!! I'm an anxious and impatient person so I went ahead and ordered 2 transfer cages and the drop trap, all powdered. My stepmom is working with Stray Cat Allliance and Little Lion Foundation but relying on them does limit things. Someone loaned her a regular haveahart trap but she believes the rust and wear on the trap is causing some performance issues. The trap doesn't get set off when skinny and petite cats come to eat. And of course the very smart kitties wont go in them. The transfer cages seemed necessary because yes my stepmom is on her own with the cats because I moved to Texas so I can't help her out with man power. And plus the rescue she works with prefers them in smaller cages and not full sized traps since they are easier for transport. I visited her and my dad over the weekend and she really has her hands full with a couple of bottle babies. And she just caught another feral kitten the other day (and got bit because she caught it by hand!), but there are more kittens and cats outside now that need to be fixed. She said the rescues see the adult cats as priority so she does get covered for their surgeries but she gets the kittens fixed at a discounted rate by using vouchers from the rescue. Even with the amazing help she's getting she does pay out of pocket to help these cats. I'm just hoping that by giving her a decent trap set she'll have some respite in the near future. I'm afraid she's going to burn out and get overwhelmed. Gotta get those smart kitties trapped!

Oh and it's funny because all this started happening after I moved. Before she didn't like cats and thought they were scary. But a friendly stray had kittens at our house and she fell in love!

Couple of the bottle babies. The black one still needs a home lined up.

20190527_221606.jpg
20190527_215329.jpg

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply!! I'm an anxious and impatient person so I went ahead and ordered 2 transfer cages and the drop trap, all powdered. My stepmom is working with Stray Cat Allliance and Little Lion Foundation but relying on them does limit things. Someone loaned her a regular haveahart trap but she believes the rust and wear on the trap is causing some performance issues. The trap doesn't get set off when skinny and petite cats come to eat. And of course the very smart kitties wont go in them. The transfer cages seemed necessary because yes my stepmom is on her own with the cats because I moved to Texas so I can't help her out with man power. And plus the rescue she works with prefers them in smaller cages and not full sized traps since they are easier for transport. I visited her and my dad over the weekend and she really has her hands full with a couple of bottle babies. And she just caught another feral kitten the other day (and got bit because she caught it by hand!), but there are more kittens and cats outside now that need to be fixed. She said the rescues see the adult cats as priority so she does get covered for their surgeries but she gets the kittens fixed at a discounted rate by using vouchers from the rescue. Even with the amazing help she's getting she does pay out of pocket to help these cats. I'm just hoping that by giving her a decent trap set she'll have some respite in the near future. I'm afraid she's going to burn out and get overwhelmed. Gotta get those smart kitties trapped!

Oh and it's funny because all this started happening after I moved. Before she didn't like cats and thought they were scary. But a friendly stray had kittens at our house and she fell in love!

Couple of the bottle babies. The black one still needs a home lined up.

View attachment 287006 View attachment 287007
Your stepmom is a HERO! (and so are you!)
Those two little ones are adorable. Little tuxedo has my heart! :redheartpump::clapcat::redheartpump:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your stepmom is a HERO! (and so are you!)
Those two little ones are adorable. Little tuxedo has my heart! :redheartpump::clapcat::redheartpump:
Thank you! Her situation worries me a bit though. I could see how it could easily turn unmanageable. It's definitely already more than what I could take. Trying to get control of the population this summer, which includes these kittens' father! He looks just like the white and black one but is skinny and battered.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Her situation worries me a bit though. I could see how it could easily turn unmanageable. It's definitely already more than what I could take. Trying to get control of the population this summer, which includes these kittens' father! He looks just like the white and black one but is skinny and battered.
That was the scenario for us, two locations ago. Lots of community cats, a few people randomly feeding them, and no one taking responsibility. So over the years, we earned the trust of the matriarch and her offspring, got them all fixed and vetted, and either adopted them or, in the case of one family of tiny kittens, got in touch with a friend who did rescue/adoptions, who took them in and according to her, they were all adopted. It can seem absolutely overwhelming, just like any other big problem involving lives, until we step back, take some deep breaths, and realize it is ONE AT A TIME. Just like with the AA meetings. One step at a time. That's how the advocacy community has brought annual "euthanasia" in shelters down from an estimated 20 MILLION A YEAR, in the mid-1980s, to an estimated less than two million at latest tally. That's how it's done. With each of us as a caring individual doing what (s)he is able to do.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do hope some of the suggestions and links (mine and others) might offer a bit of help! I certainly understand going ahead and purchasing - I too suffer from the "impatience gene" once I want to do something. :)

And boy did tabbytom tabbytom hit the nail on the head - - cuteness overload in a BIG way! That teeny tiny little white stripe down the nose of the one is just too cute.

I do understand your concern for your mother - it's easy once you get the "helping animals bug," it's hard to stop. I've been (and still am) there - - - and in my experience - especially TNRing - I think it's easy to feel like you're the only person willing to plug the dike with your finger. And often the pressure behind the dike keeps building - particularly if there's only one person within yelling distance with a finger (hope that analogy made sense). And all it takes is the spotting of one new cat - - or especially a new kitten - - to feel like you've got to go from stressing 18 hours a day to stressing 23 hours a day!

And the extra tough part (at least in our colony) - - once the "word gets out" that "someone's taking care of them" mysteriously the number of cats in a colony can rise a bit as people start dumping). People too afraid to help through TNR - - or even those who can't keep their kitty but don't want to face a shelter -- do "drive by and drops." We had a neighbor who SAW someone come up to their house, open the car door, set a young cat in their driveway, and speed off :angryfire:!!!! The poor kitty sat in their driveway for days, watching for the car to return! And shock of shocks (I say sarcastically) --- this little 9-month-old kitty was so pregnant she gave birth days later!!!! Luckily - where she was dropped, the family was kind and animal-loving (although they'd never had a cat, let alone a young mom and kittens!). We happened to find out about it - so we TNRd mom, and fostered and socialized the babies - who all have wonderful families now!!!

So that was the long way of saying (which seems to be the only way I can say things - - -sorry :sigh: ). Which I think is what tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 was stressing - - try to help your mom understand how MUCH good she's done - - and how TNRing even one single cat helps SO much!

I remember someone on this site gave me advice on my first week on this wonderful site - - - (and sorry I'm not positive who said it - guessing @shadowsrescue) that TNRing gives back to us doing it because it teaches us patience like nothing else in life. And that if we can "only" help one kitty - - - it at least DRASTICALLY saves that cat's life. And generationally, it helps hundreds - even thousands - -of kitty lives that haven't been born. So even one saves many in the end. Something to be VERY proud about!!!

And back to the traps -- -- I think what you got is perfect! And it sounds like ALL should help her out - - -making things simpler, faster, etc. - - meaning less time and frustration! If it can be afforded - one can never have too many traps and accoutrement! (geez - -- only on this site could I say that!). And the powder coat - if it can be afforded, I think in the long-run, it's VERY worth it.

As far as the bottle babies (you might have addressed this and I missed it) - - I know from experience how they're totally ALL-CONSUMING for far longer than most people would think. Hubby and I had to take a break from them- - -they were burning us out. Has she approached anyone about helping in particular with them? (The shelter I volunteer for has a woman who often has 15-20 bottle feeds at one time!?!?! How she does it I have NO idea! I personally think she switches them out for full grown kittens and returns the full grown ones to the shelter - - KIDDING!!!!). But has she reached out to local shelters, local vets, friends, neighbors - - even through her social media and/our your social media - even through the social media of animal-loving friends, and/or the spay/neuter clinic? Even local pet food stores usually have "animal folk" working for them, and they sometimes know of people who can help with babies - even bottle babies. And clinics sometimes have lists of those willing to take on bottle babies. And don't forget social media can be a great place to find friends (or friends of friends you didn't even know were able to help with that)!!!! Even asking her/your local shelters, clinics, and vets who/where she could at least reach out to (if they do't want to give up names the use themselves). It's

As far as the "too light to trip" - - - I think that was addressed in one or more of my links. If note - you might at least rummage through the sites - - - I'm just sure all those sites address that issue in several places.

Keep us posted as to how it's going for you - mom - and the colony (and of course the adorable babies! Tell your mom to hang in there - - sounds like she's got a great daughter! :hugs:

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great props, kittychick kittychick and wonderful comments in general. *YES* on all of the above!:yeah: Anyone on social media, no matter the platform(s) has lots of access to advocacy individuals and groups. Some links to definitely bookmark/keep are www.alleycat.org (Alley Cat Allies' site -- the premiere database for all things 'free-roaming cat'), www.bestfriends.org/resources (LOTS of links including to nationwide groups helping these cats, how to lobby for these cats, how to deal with neighbors re: these cats, etc.), and animalrescuedirectory.net which has a by-state registry of orgs you can access and click on individually. I've been building up my group and individual advocacy contacts on my socials over time and encourage everyone to do likewise. You can do as little or as much as you want in terms of advocating/networking/helping.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomahawk makes great traps, I would also consider a regular trap (box trap), I only used the drop trap on trap savvy cats. I was always a little worried that it might come down on them as they try to make a run for it. Also you have to sit there to trigger it, with a regular trap you can set it and hide a lot better. If you do get the drop trap consider the remote control unit.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
zed xyzed zed xyzed is right. But one note of warning: Someone should sit on the trapline. We had the unbelievably tragic loss years back of humane trapping a little guy who was so stressed he probably had a heart attack in the trap and did not survive. This was a trap my ex set at his work parking lot, and it was not monitored all the time. Some ferals can't stand the confinement. It's rare, but it does happen. In those cases, of course, I would release at once.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oooh- tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - - (and thanks for the props!) - - -I feel for you on the little guy who didn't make it - that must have been heartbreaking!!!! You have such a good point though - - and I think some of us (at least me for sure!) forget to remind people to always stay within a close distance (but out of sight obviously) of any trap while it's set. Although kittyluv387 kittyluv387 - it does sound like your mom's really trap savvy.And hopefully with all of the resources we've thrown at you (you do have 89 hours just to dig through sites, right? :p ). But the ones mentioned in all of the ones that have been posted are all very reputable sites - - with LOTs of reliable info. And if your mom's REALLY having trouble with something specific - - she can try actually calling Alley Cat Allies. When I first started TNRing years ago, they actually spoke with me several times on the phone to help me. They get bigger every year - but if she really could try calling them! The number I have for them is:

Phone: (240)-482-1980
Office Hours: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday
If you are directed to our voicemail, please leave a message and include your name, email address, and daytime phone number.

Have you given her your "gifts" yet? Bet she's thrilled!!!!!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, kittychick kittychick , ACA is THE place to start with anything outdoor-cat-related. Best Friends is also excellent. These people's hearts are in the right place, and they have years of experience and expertise. That's a good number for them.

Yeah, that incident happened at my ex's work, and he was sick about it. When he told me, I was, too. We laid him to rest at our home, next to my ex's best buddy construction site cat. We had an almost-similar experience with a truly feral girl he had managed to trap and get fixed/baseline innocs/checkup -- she was "our cat" as far as we were concerned, so of course we took her up to the Mojave with us. She tried frantically to climb out of the barn compound and we were afraid she'd actually do herself in, so I made calls to feral experts and they strongly advised us to take her back down where she came from. Sadly, my ex did so. There were a couple of families down there who fed cats (they never spayed/neutered) so we prayed she would be able to fit back into her former life. I'm sure there were lots of wild mice there, too. We always miss/ed her.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh- tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - - (and thanks for the props!) - - -I feel for you on the little guy who didn't make it - that must have been heartbreaking!!!! You have such a good point though - - and I think some of us (at least me for sure!) forget to remind people to always stay within a close distance (but out of sight obviously) of any trap while it's set. Although kittyluv387 kittyluv387 - it does sound like your mom's really trap savvy.And hopefully with all of the resources we've thrown at you (you do have 89 hours just to dig through sites, right? :p ). But the ones mentioned in all of the ones that have been posted are all very reputable sites - - with LOTs of reliable info. And if your mom's REALLY having trouble with something specific - - she can try actually calling Alley Cat Allies. When I first started TNRing years ago, they actually spoke with me several times on the phone to help me. They get bigger every year - but if she really could try calling them! The number I have for them is:

Phone: (240)-482-1980
Office Hours: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday
If you are directed to our voicemail, please leave a message and include your name, email address, and daytime phone number.

Have you given her your "gifts" yet? Bet she's thrilled!!!!!!
Yes I'll have to do some reading on her behalf! She's super busy with her daughter's activities and all the kitties she's taking care of. Plus English isn't her first language. Thank you for providing the links! Btw I will definitely forward her the Alley Cats info! More resources is always a good thing. I ordered the trap set late last week so she'll probably receive them this week I'm thinking.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes I'll have to do some reading on her behalf! She's super busy with her daughter's activities and all the kitties she's taking care of. Plus English isn't her first language. Thank you for providing the links! Btw I will definitely forward her the Alley Cats info! More resources is always a good thing. I ordered the trap set late last week so she'll probably receive them this week I'm thinking.
Not to get off the track - - but tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 ---I'm a HUGE Best Friends fan from waaaaay back (and kittyluv387 kittyluv387 ----the books I've got links to below might make great reading for your mom!). Until I messed my knee up a few years ago (among other body parts falling apart) - hubby was going to surprise me with a trip there!!!! Can't happen now, but I can still dream! Have you read either of these books (link below)? Both are great! Their members' magazine is wonderful too - -- fantastic photography. The book listed second - called "The Cats of Kittyville" is gorgeous too. They definitely work with some wonderful photographers! The first book is more about the history of the place, and it's fascinating - - the second is completely cat-oriented, and more of a 'small coffee table book' with huge gorgeous pics. These are links to Amazon - - I'm sure you could locate them other ways too!

And kittyluv387 kittyluv387 - hope your mom loves her gifts - - -and enjoys those sites (and maybe these books). She obviously has a WONDERFUL daughter. :heartshape:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to get off the track - - but tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 ---I'm a HUGE Best Friends fan from waaaaay back (and kittyluv387 kittyluv387 ----the books I've got links to below might make great reading for your mom!). Until I messed my knee up a few years ago (among other body parts falling apart) - hubby was going to surprise me with a trip there!!!! Can't happen now, but I can still dream! Have you read either of these books (link below)? Both are great! Their members' magazine is wonderful too - -- fantastic photography. The book listed second - called "The Cats of Kittyville" is gorgeous too. They definitely work with some wonderful photographers! The first book is more about the history of the place, and it's fascinating - - the second is completely cat-oriented, and more of a 'small coffee table book' with huge gorgeous pics. These are links to Amazon - - I'm sure you could locate them other ways too!

And kittyluv387 kittyluv387 - hope your mom loves her gifts - - -and enjoys those sites (and maybe these books). She obviously has a WONDERFUL daughter. :heartshape:
My adblocker is wreaking havoc on those links, kittychick kittychick , sorry. Yes, I do have THE CATS OF KITTYVILLE as well as BEST FRIENDS, the story of the sanctuary -- they are among my favorite books. And I receive the magazine, too. I was privileged to visit in 1998, after having gained admittance for a cat we rescued but were unable to successfully treat for a skin issue. He was successfully treated at the sanctuary, spent about a year there, and was adopted by a wonderful woman from Vancouver who is still a dear friend. Timmy lived a wonderful life with her and her other cats, passing a couple of years back, age 16. I could not have asked for a better home or life for him! A lot of building has occurred since then, and the cats are housed in very nice accomodations of many kinds.
I would have loved to work for them! but my situation does not allow for it. They are an inspiration to those of us all over the world who are battling to save ALL cats and work for them to find loving permanent families.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry about that! I should have just put the names of the books ---- the links were very long. I really thought kittyluv387 kittyluv387 - that you might enjoy getting them for your mom, since it sounds like mom REALLY loves kitties - especially the ones who've had a tough life. So I tried to think of kitty books that might help your mom get her mind off of hard days of trapping and feeding and worrying, etc. - - and are triumphant animal books. Reading books like these help me think happy animal thoughts!

The three books were (and all were from Best Friends Animal Sanctuary): "Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary," "The Cats of Kittyville" and "Not Left Behind: Rescuing the Pets of New Orleans," covering their efforts to save animals put in danger by Hurricane Katrina."

I also meant to add (again - she may have read this already - alot of cat-lovers have - -- it's truly in my top 10 of books!), "Homer's Odyssey: A Fearless Feline Tail, or How I Learned about Love and Life with a Blind Wonder Cat."

Keep us posted on how your mom enjoys her new "trap toys!"

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well darn! I just got an email saying due to back orders they wont be able to ship until 6/28. Was really hoping to get it earlier this month so my step mom can get started on it while my sister is out of school. Oh well. It'll have to do.