BUN and Creatinine continuing to rise...problem????

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always have to put a little Vets-Best hairball relief dust over the krill oil meals. :)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sally, just a quick note.... Egg whites are not binders.... They are high quality protein yet, very low in phosphorous. So, when used in a raw diet, the key is to substitute some of the meat for egg whites. I have been reading for cats who eat 4.5-5oz a day, 1oz a few times a week. Just keep that in mind.... Add the egg white, but remove the meat as you go - the key is substituting one for the other so you lower the phosphorous content.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh good point Carolina. Sorry to keep jumping in behind you, but here's a study (in people) on it: http://www.renalandurologynews.com/egg-whites-may-help-lower-phosphorus/article/111024/#

The egg whites were substituted for one meal daily in the study. In homemade renal diets, the amount of egg white recommended to be substituted for meat ranges, but goes up to 20%. For a kitty eating 4.5 ounces a day, that's 1.4 ounces per week. Since she probably doesn't want to eat a meal of just egg white, just substituting 1/4 ounce of meat for egg white at one meal a day puts you a little over the 20% mark.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great info!  Thanks ladies. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm back with our follow-up numbers.  It's been 90 days now, and Callie had her blood re-tested and at the same time had another Urine Specific Gravity test done.  Bad news.  She is definitely in the beginning stages of kidney damage.  But I guess the good news is that it's the early stages.

So, here are the numbers:

8/12                 4/13                 7/13

BUN                                  34                   49                     44

Crea                                  2.8                  3.1                   3.3

Bun/Creat Ratio                12%                16%                 16%

USG Results                 pefect!              N/A                 1.029 (considered in the normal range, but indicates an issue with above numbers
)

But she was well hydrated, acts good, (no hiding away), is actually playing more than usual, eating more lately
, and in general seems in good health.  So, we are just to continue what we are doing, which is feeding her a high protein, high fat, low carb, low phosphorus diet.  She is still on a raw strike pretty much, but I still offer it to her once in awhile, and the other day she actually took a couple of bites when I covered it when Stewarts freeze dried beef liver of all things!  But, darn it, I bought a case of By Nature Organic because it fit the bill perfectly for what she needed, and she hates it...figures
.  So I took several cans over to the Vet's office hoping she could distribute it to other kidney cat slaves who were looking for good food before they shelled out the bucks for a case on-line, but she said legally she could not do that, but could use it to feed the orphans they are treating, so I said "go for it".  I'll take the rest to a local rescue later, after trying to sneak more into Callie in the future.
  And, of course, she really like BG 96% beef, which falls into the categories I'm looking for, and it's been discontinued
.  Well, I'm hoping she'll come back around to raw, but I'm also afraid to try it, because I'm afraid she'll miss a meal if I do
.  She's such a diva that if she doesn't like something, then that's it.  She walks away and puts her nose up in the air like "end of conversation"

So, anyway, I guess any more about her kidney issues I'll just post in the health section, unless she goes back on raw, the little stinker, although she WAS on raw for a year before getting hit with this.  (But was on kibble for 12 years before that
)