Bully in the colony

kikilover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At any one time over the past 3 years I've had 12-20 cats behind my house. Since my dog passed and my neighbor found one in the creek on death's door I've TNR'd all 20. Of course I've fallen in love with them all. Two males are very attached and affectionate, seeming to want attention (neck and back rubs, etc.) more than even food. Lately, one of the most attentive has become a bully. He's focused on one cat in particular lately who get's along with the other's. Lately, when he chases her or she runs off in fear I've gotten a stick to chase him away - I get so angry!! Then I feel terrible. The other cat has run off and the bully is cowering in fear. I'm trying to think how best to separate them at feeding time. I have 4 1/2 acres much wooded. I don't want to isolate too far because of predators. I do have a full-time job, albeit from home, but still I can't stand around whilst all eat their fill. Not to mention there are others I've had to separate. THis poor baby has made her home in a little cat tube house I purchased which is near the food. She waits and when I come out he greets me and proceeds to gallop full speed at her. Ugh, so frustrating. I know I'm not helping the situation but I can't very well ignore it either. Suggestions welcome.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are all tnr-ed?

try to relocate the bully may be one idea.

The easiest and prob best here is to adopt the bullied one. He will prob adapt quickly - greatly relived to be free from the bully...

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed w/ above. Congrats on TNRing SO MANY KITTIES.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Take the poor bullied one inside for adaptation/acclimatation - and possible adoption, by you or others. There is a chance there is something medically going on with her and that is why she is being attacked by this one cat. Sometimes illnesses will provoke aggression from other cats. The reverse is also true, but I would think that would be causing some aggression from this 'bully' onto other cats as well. The little cat tube house that she likes could be her 'haven'/safe zone in an isolated room to start with.
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kikilover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will consider. She is happy outside (until now). I have 2 inside cats. ! is extremely territorial....

And yes, all are TNR'd

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your one territorial cat can get along with your other cat, then it is not to be assumed that s/he cannot get along with yet another cat. However, if you suspect otherwise, then bring in this poor bullied cat, separate her, get her acclimated, and checked out by a vet, and look for prospective adopters in the meantime.

Based on what you have said, your options are limited and there is no miracle, instantaneous solution. Whatever you do, it is apparently going to take some effort on your part. Given all that you have done for these cats so far (I commend you!!), you can come up with a way to work through it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kikilover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm finding there is never a clear-cut solution. I'm thinking this through. I just bought some "anti-bully" drops for the territorial one. I got her as a playmate for my other cat who loves other cats. Ugh, I keep telling her she's not doing what I got her for and if she doesn't shape up she's out. Of course, I'd never do anything like that. Hoping the anti-bully drops work.

I would use it on the outside bully if I thought it would work. But I think they need all their faculties to protect themselves from predators.