Bugsy went to the ER tonight

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little guy! I'm glad he's feeling better with the fluids and antibiotic already. You definitely did the right thing.
Giardia is a NASTY bug! Even in people, who can be "told" how important it is to keep drinking water, dehydration can come on hard and fast with that bug.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How's your little guy doing today? Is he still on the road to recovery?

Stephanie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Prayers for a quick recovery, and bless your dad.
Thanks - yes, dad came through, as he always does when I need... I am very lucky for having him and for western union too
!

Originally Posted by stephanietx

How's your little guy doing today? Is he still on the road to recovery?

Stephanie
He is doing a little better - I am not sure if because of the antibiotics, or because of bene-bac. His eye is a little better, but he still has ways to go... I am having an awful time giving his antibiotics... He is impossible to pill, so I got liquid. He fights hard, and drools everything out... I spoke to the vet, and she said it is normal, and to try to get as much as I can in. I asked two clinics about getting it flavored, but it was a no go. No go for injectable either - only by IV.
So, here we are... He HATES me
. He sees me and runs to take cover under the bed... I can't wait for this to be over... I hope he is all better soon; please continue to send vibes...
Thank you all!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What kind of antibiotic is he getting? Have you tried wrapping him in a towel like a burrito?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

What kind of antibiotic is he getting? Have you tried wrapping him in a towel like a burrito?
Metronidazole is the antibiotic. Yes, I have tried... Bugsy is stronger than any cat I have ever had... Three people at the vets office tried to pill him, even two at a time, and they couldn't... The boy is strong and fast... Yesterday I was able to give him the full dosage, but he drooled a lot afterwords - I am not sure how much he got... I hope I can do it again tonight - last night it was shear luck!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As of yesterday I am all done with the antibiotics - thank goodnes!!! We both survived, but he is still traumatized, and hiding around when I get close to him. I still have a couple more days of eye drops, and I hope this will be it for a long time! I am submitting his paperwork for the insurance company tomorrow - at least I got that, I think I will use his insurance well

Thank you for all the vibes - I will keep you posted on his progress. He is doing much better overall!

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just discovered this thread.......poor Bugsy......I am concerned that Lucky would also have the URI......it is contagious. All 6 of my cats got a URI last summer. Trying to pill 6 cats 2 x a day x 10 days was a nightmare. Bugsy will forgive you in a few days as soon as the medicine stops
Give him a kiss for me

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Slave2_Ragdolls

I just discovered this thread.......poor Bugsy......I am concerned that Lucky would also have the URI......it is contagious. All 6 of my cats got a URI last summer. Trying to pill 6 cats 2 x a day x 10 days was a nightmare. Bugsy will forgive you in a few days as soon as the medicine stops
Give him a kiss for me
Thanks Bob - so far so good... Bugsy is getting better by the day, and Lucky has show no symptoms of an URI, whatsoever. My girl is very very healthy!
. TOmorrow isthe last day of his eye drops YOO HOO!!!! I can't believe it!!!! YEAH!

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Goodness, I just saw this thread, and I'm so happy to hear that Bugsy is doing okay. What a good meowmy you are for taking him quickly to the ER.

I also wanted to say that everytime I see your siggy, I am just struck by how beautiful both your kitties are. There's just something about them that grabs my attention.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! Yes, I am biased, but for me they are gorgeous! I am so lucky... They are so sweet, loving, smart... I don't know how to think about life without them anymore!
Bugsy is doing much better! His eyes are almost completely good, except for a little larger third eyelid. There is no more signs of infection - no more yellow secretion like before. Now he only has the normal brown dry stuff. His eye infection was really nasty - his eye was running this yellow stuff like a kid's runny nose! Poor baby...
No more diarrhea that I can see - his poop is almost all formed! A little bit on the soft side, but to be expected. He is eating well, and his energy level has completely returned.
I am also glad the effects of the steroid shots are pretty much gone. I am going to be holding off on giving it to him again.
Thank you all for caring!