Bugsy is at the vet for the day

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah.... Bugsy... get well and be home for Christmas... and please stop giving Meowmy premature gray hair!!!

eddieem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will be praying for your lil man! St. Francis of Asissi is the saint of pets, so pray to him. He helped me bring Gray and Kitta back after they lost for (Gray 3.5 weeks) and Kitta ( 7.5 weeks)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another successful feeding... Force-feeding that is... This time I got him to eat in between 1/4 and 1/2 can, so he got somewhere in in between 1/2 and 3/4 can tonight...
I will give him another small feeding before I go to bed, and hope he starts eating on his own tomorrow...
I am having a problem with the syringe though... it gets stuck and when it finally goes, these huge squirts come out... I read about lubing it with olive oil... Tried that with for no avail, tried coconut oil and it didn't help either... any other tricks? Of course I am blending the food down on the processor with water and a bit of fiber, it is not a clot issue...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How many ml is the syringe? I went up to a 60 ml and no longer have any plug like issues

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

How many ml is the syringe? I went up to a 60 ml and no longer have any plug like issues
It is only 12ml... but the issue is not plug... the syringe doesn't run smoothly even when I run it empty... Where do you buy a 60ml syringe?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

It is only 12ml... but the issue is not plug... the syringe doesn't run smoothly even when I run it empty... Where do you buy a 60ml syringe?
feed store ... I always check mine before purchase as many "stick" and with my jt issues that wont work

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many prayers and vibes for dear Bugsy. Come on, Bugs, you need to get better. Mom is so worried about you!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crunch crunch crunch Bugsy is eating dry food on his own again!
He started on the middle of the night, and is here next to me munching away as I type!
Just as my vet told me, it was probably just a matter of getting him going for a day until his tummy got better for him to start eating.... Thank goodness he was right! Fingers crossed he is going to hold his own!
I have a conference call soon and will be serving his wet meal shortly after that - hopefully he will eat that too so I don't need to force feed him again today!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Crunch crunch crunch Bugsy is eating dry food on his own again!
He started on the middle of the night, and is here next to me munching away as I type!
Just as my vet told me, it was probably just a matter of getting him going for a day until his tummy got better for him to start eating.... Thank goodness he was right! Fingers crossed he is going to hold his own!
I have a conference call soon and will be serving his wet meal shortly after that - hopefully he will eat that too so I don't need to force feed him again today!
Isn't that just the most amazing sound ever?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Isn't that just the most amazing sound ever?
Oh yeah, I didn't even mind to be woken by it in the middle of the night! I was just so happy to hear/see it!

petfindergal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hooray! So glad to hear that Bugsy may be beating this thing--whatever it was! Will he eat wet food on his own or just dry? I'm thinking that dry food isn't the best for a dehydrated cat. Much love and kisses from me and the girls. Good luck! You're a great cat mom.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to see that Bugsy is eating on his own, and getting better!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I don't think I breathed as I read through your updates -
that is, until your reports were getting better ....
for an improvement every day!

Blessings,
g

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet called, his urinalysis came back purrfect!

Billirubin levels normal, protein levels normal, no blood, no crystals, no bacteria... All good!

On another note.... He ate his wet food too!
He ate 1/2 of it in one sitting, and a couple of hours later I gave it to him with a spoon... That is normal to him, he often doesn't finish in one sitting.
He is under the effects of an appetite stimulant, my hope is that he holds his own after the effect is gone...
As our dear friend Alison says... Do not borrow problems Carolina, for now he is doing well, and that is all that matter! I need to keep reminding myself to take one step at a time...
Oh, I also asked the vet if the elevated ALT #s could be due to the 15 days of Metronidazole - Bugsy has been for a month straight on antibiotics - metronidazole, followed by tylan then metro again, all of them can affect the ALT levels... He said that at the dosage that he was under, it is rare, but definitely a possibility to consider...
He did say again though, since ALT was the only liver enzyme that was elevated, and his blood and urine test was otherwise normal, he does not suspect liver disease at this point.
I called his dentist and he agreed to suspend his medication for the 5 days Bugsy will be on prednizolone, since it has anti-inflammatory properties anyways, so his tummy can heal - we will resume treatment when he starts taking pred every other day. for my
boy....