Brother and sister cat started fighting, don't know why or what to do

hmlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:nod:I'm really at a loss of what to do or even why this is happening. I have 2 cats 1 male and 1 female that are 1yr and 4 months old about a month ago they got in a huge fight after a few hours everything was fine and was fine until tonight when it happened again. This is just out of no where the male will arch and start to growl and then the female will attack. I thought they were going to be fine but after about hour male did it again and ahe attacked. I have him on the catio and her in the house but he is still very upset and scared. Help please my husband will make get rid of them if I cant fix this because there is no way to choose one over the other. Help please. :-(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hmlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
P.S. I need to add that I am disabled and when this happens I cant do anything because I cant walk. I have to call my kids to help me and I am really afraid that they might get hurt. My husband isnt mean he just doesn't want anyone to get hurt. Thanks for any help I can get. They are my only friends being home alone most of the time and I dont want to get rid of them

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmlove, I also have a brother and sister who go at it every so often. Usually it's Matthew annoying Rachel. Rachel will scream her bloody head off and run away knocking everything in sight off tables, refrigerators, etc. It's not play either. Not with all the hissing, growling and screaming. I don't punish either as I don't think cats understand
The separation or yelling. I use a spray bottle of water as soon as I see something is about to happen and they both take off in different directions. The water bottle's spray has about a 15' reach and now they only need to see it or hear it and they are off running. I'm not confined to a chair but I am handicapped and moving fast isn't in my vocabulary. So I keep a spray bottle in each room. I also use Felaway which has reduced the fighting significantly. If you purchase it, I found results after 30 to 40 days so be patient. Rachel was so nerves up by her brother that she lost almost all her hair on her belly and tail. I will assume both cats are fixed so something else is triggering the attacks.

bita

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand how worrisome this behavior is. All my cats are siblings. Actually I have 3 males and their sister. The males need to be fixed but we got our little girl and her Mom fixed. We do need to get our boys fixed as well as I know that would help aggression but also what has helped us is Jackson galaxies spirit essences and we play with them every day like he recommends on his show. We are also sure to give them plenty of individual attention. If you run them around with a string and get them panting it makes them so tired they dont think of fighting lol. Please let us know how it goes. This behavior can absolutely be managed if your diligent :)

jill-e

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While talking to my aunt recently, who is 87 and mostly chair bound too, due to bad knees, she told me her sister and brother cats were also doing the fighting thing, which they had never done before. It started when they were around 2 years old as well, with the female starting the fights most of the time. As in nature, it's usually the female who is most protective of territory. It's very possible your two cats are just figuring out the pecking order in the house, with your female trying to assert her dominance over the male.

I suggested to my aunt, who had never had cats before, only dogs, that she get a squirt gun or water bottle to break up the fights, when she could. This is what I've always used when my cats start fighting. I also said she'd be wise to put away anything of value and breakable for awhile. She said they tear around the house, and often the fights begin on the bed or under it, though sometimes it can begin when one is in her lap and the other one wants to be there too. Her cats are big so both can't be in her lap at the same time.

I've had cats most of my 55 years of life and witnessed this behavior time and again. Always, it one of the females that starts it. So, I'm pretty confident it will eventually settle down, once the pecking order is established. My smallest cat was the queen in the house for years. I put her to sleep earlier this year after we found out she had 2 forms of cancer - leukemia and lymphoma, neither of which are curable. She was in a lot of pain and was wasting away before my eyes. One thing I had noticed in the last 6 months of her life, she had actually stopped fighting with her sister. Instead, she spent most of her time sleeping or sitting in my lap getting love and warmth.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seriously, with them at this age, the aggression is only going to get worse and worse until they're neutered. if the aggression is allowed to continue too long, neutering them may not even help, if it becomes a habit :/. Try to get the boys neutered ASAP. Contact all the local shelters/rescues in the area to ask about low-cost options, if cost is a concern.

catmomma1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have similar problem with my moms cats attacking my cats. they cant even get near her without her attacking or hissing at them. and im at loss what do. yes i have tried scent swiping and she hisses when smells them or sees them  and my cats are in their own room with the door shut. we have feliway now but she hasnt calmed down much.

jill-e

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I never found Feliway worked for calming any of my cats. I used it for a few years and found it a total waste of money.

Most of my cats are fixed before I take them home, as most have come from shelters that do it. The only cats that weren't from shelters, such as those I got free out of ads in the paper or that I found on the street, went straight to the vet for wellness checks, shots, deworming, and fixing within a month, if they weren't already fixed.

Keeping unneutered males around invites trouble. They will begin to spray soon and start fights too. Unless your a breeder, I don't see why anyone would not fix their animals. It just doesn't make sense.

hmlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did get a water bottle and had the soft paw nail covers put on them so they can't hurt each other so bad. Both have been neutered since 5 or 6 months I wouldn't think that's the problem. Yesterday it happened again and what I saw was my male max sitting looking out glass door bella my female was about 2 ft away when all of a sudden out of no where max jumps up turns on her growling hissing and hair raised like he wanted to kill her and she went at him then. She didn't do anything that's what's confusing me. Now when she sees him she wants to growl instead of the other way around. I just get scared now cause I can't do anything and what if they come near me I can't get away from it.

hmlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Seriously, with them at this age, the aggression is only going to get worse and worse until they're neutered. if the aggression is allowed to continue too long, neutering them may not even help, if it becomes a habit :/. Try to get the boys neutered ASAP. Contact all the local shelters/rescues in the area to ask about low-cost options, if cost is a concern.
both my cats have been spayed and neutered since they were 5 or 6 months old. I don't think that's the problem I have insurance for them both its 60 month it covers everything but some meds.

hmlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well they were fine all day and then another out burst. I am really upset I don't know what to do why do they seem to hate each other now. They tolerated each other all day and then when face to face they started to growl and hiss and then max flips out and runs to the catio. I just want them to be back like they were. Does any one know what age cats mature and become set in their way? I really hope that this isn't them becoming set in their ways cause that would mean that they can't live together.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry this is happening with your two cats. When it happened to mine  Two Cats Suddenly Fighting Aggressively  we were also at a loss.

Kept the cats separated, swapping them in and out of a room. Feliway - didn't seem to help. Calming treats - nada. My husband was saying we can't spend the next 15 years like this, keeping the cats separated.

As you'll see if you follow the link - per our veterinarian's advice we ended up putting the cat who was attacked on Valium. NOT the aggressor cat. And it worked really well and in just a few days. It calmed the scared cat down so he didn't run if the other cat looked at him. And since he didn't run, the aggressor cat didn't chase him.

I don't know if this will work for your two but I think it would certainly be worth discussing it with your veterinarian. The oral suspension was made up by the pharmacist in chicken flavor so all I had to do was dribble it over his canned food once a day. Things were much improved in just a few days.

Do post and lets us know if you decide to try this, and how it works. Good luck!

hmlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering if u continued to use the med on the cat or if it is something that was used for just a little while and then the issue was gone. My husband doesn't want the cat addicted to a drug like that. It is a thought and would definitely consider anything. I was also wondering how old were your cats when this happened? Nor sure I mentioned but my cats are 16 months.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats are both 3 years 9 month old neutered males who have lived together since they were about 10 or 12 weeks old. Indoor only. This happened in June / July 2014.

First and most severe attack on June 22. Cats separated. Tried feeding them separated by a few feet on June 29. O.K. while eating but agressor became fixated on other cat after eating. Started diazepam on July 1st and within 30 minutes could let him out with other cat. Did separate them overnight. By next day just left them both loose in house.

Dosage went something like this:

July 1 - one dose in evening

July 2 - one dose morning, one dose in evening

July 3 - one dose in evening

July 4 - none

July 5 - one dose at noon

July 6 - none

July 7 - 1/2 dose in evening

July 8 - none

July 9 - 1/2 dose in late evening

July 10 - none

July 11 - none

July 12 - 1/2 dose in morning

The dose / skip / dose / skip / half dose business was to taper him off, and I'm not even sure that I had to be that fussy about it.

Had relapse on July 18 when neighbor's cat again paraded by house and set off the other cat. Separated cats with scared cat in our bedroom for afternoon.

July 18 - one dose in evening

July 19 - one dose in a.m., one dose in p.m.

July 20 - one dose in a.m.

July 21 one dose in a.m.

July 22 - 1/2 dose in a.m.

No Valium since then, it has been 3 weeks and all is peaceful.

Of course all cats are different and I cannot say that your results would be the same. But when I looked up "diazepam for cats" on-line everything sounded good. There can be liver issues but I think that's a concern for long term use which this certainly was not. Diazepam is very quick acting, 30 minutes or so. Builds up and levels off in a couple of days.

Do check with your veterinarian and report back. What can I say, "better living through chemistry" <grin> And diazepam is inexpensive too - under $20 and I have quite a bit left.

Last edited: