Broken Hip

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We will miss you too, I enjoy reading about your cats.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That a relief that Cow is back.
That little stinker got out of having surgery today.

Festus & Hank...have Mommy post about how you did today.

New week....Cow & Festus's brother, you go for sure.

There is nothing like a nice calm morning...right Jenn?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love calm mornings.....

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surgery is over.........whew

I just got home...

When my husband got home it was only 11:20am this morning. He said he was only at the vet for two hrs. It is about 45 minutes from our house and hubby said he really liked the place.

They could not worm them at the same time they did the surgery so he bought the pills for us to give them here at home. They both got their rabies shots.

Since I had to go to work and hubby had to work on the new place, we put both cats in our bedroom on the bed with food and water and litter in there so they could sleep it off. They didn't eat anything and I didnt' figure they would but I wanted it in there anyway just in case. Vet said to keep Festus inside for 24 hrs before releasing him. I am keeping him inside until Friday morning because 24 hrs willl be while we are working and I want to be here. An extra day inside won't hurt him.

But as soon as I got home from work I went to check on them and Hank dashed out of the room. He appears fully recovered and if he has any trauma, it is due to being in the bedroom all day. He ran staight to JJ for comfort. Look at his picture. He looks as thought he is asking "What happened Dad?"......... And JJ is checking him out. They are very close.

And poor little Festus is so drugged... Still...... He was in the bed snoozing inthe same spot I placed him around noon. He did not appear to have moved except to scoot under the covers slightly as the bed was not made. When I petted him he lifted his head and looked around and then layed back down. He is still in the bed in the same spot. Cleo when she was fixed sleep for 4 days off and on. He might be the same way. And also, since he was feral, they might have given him more medication to sadate him. I just don't know, but he is out of it.

Here he is...

so two down.....................Yeah!!!!

And you know, I don't mind them sleeping in our bed..... changing the sheets is nothing. I am so glad Festus found a way to get comfortable to recover. He was the main one I was worried about. I knew Hank would be ok, but Festus had never been in our house but once for about 5 seconds... He has never laid in a bed before nor been in our room or anything else for that matter. I think he might like in the near future having a kitty door.

The other feral male, {Rowdy}, will be different. I actually brought Festus in the house to crate him. I have been working on holding him for several months so he was used to me having my arms close to his body. The other one is only used to being scratched on the head. I have never held him nor acted like I would hold him nor touched anything except his head and back and ears. That is all. I will have to put the crate on the porch and pet him and relax him and then put him in it real fast. They are used to the crate being out on the porch. I started preparing for this a while back. Festus has been sleeping in the open crate for about a month now at night. That's why it was easy to crate him. Rowdy is used to the crate being in his vicinity so it won't spook him .... I will have one shot at getting him in it so I have to plan it carefully. Vet said to catch him, crate him and call them and they will work him in the next day.

So that's a plan..........

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, they boys are doing fine. Hank has napped off and on all evening and is asleep now. Festus is wandering around the house but he is sticking close to the laundry room and Jimmy as he is just a little nervous. They have been sitting together behind the washing machine..... I think Festus is happy to be back and not riding in the car. He seems more relaxed than I have ever seen him but that is probably due to the meds he took.

I'm not sure what it is about that washer that the wild cats like but it sure is something...........that's for sure. Festus b-lined for it just like Jimmy did. It might be all the shelves in there. Jimmy sleeps on the top shelf every day for his quick cat nap.

I also wanted to bring the dogs in for the night so I brought Festus back to the living room since he has only "conversed with them" through the front door for months and wasn't sure how he would do being "cornered" in the laundry room while they were in the next room.. He would not be able to get out of the laundry area without walking past them. When I let them in, he calmly walked back to the laundry room, went right past the dogs, and went back to Jimmy's area again... He is not scared of them which is good.

Jimmy likes the dogs. Or at least he isn't afraid of them. He shares sleeping quarters with them on a nightly basis nearly. He sleeps about 15' from the dogs by choice.

So all is well and the sheets are changed for the humans and everyone is recovering in their area of choice getting ready to bed down for the nite. And that goes for me too.

Nite all...........Jenn

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I am glad that Cow came home eventually, even though it was too late for her op!! And I am so glad the others are doing well after their ops - the pics are lovely, and i do hope the move goes well.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenn...
I think that you could start a juggling act using kitties.

I am so glad all went well.
The pictures of your recovering boys are adorable.
I just realized that Hank has very similar coloring and markings to my big boy Dexter.

Wonderful update.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dexter is beautiful! I have looked at him several times on your siggy. And you are right. He does favor Hank. His spots are striped like Hanks too.

I have never had a white cat before. All of mine have always been darker colored. This is the first time I have known white eyes need nearly daily wiping to keep the furr looking fresh...

And speaking of JJ, he is growling at Hank and hissing. He has not attacked him but he is warning him to stay away. I think it has something to do with the change in the odor of Hank or something. Maybe it is the vet smell. I wiped Hank with a babywipe all over but JJ is just not liking him as much right now.

Hank had never matured yet so it is not that. He was still a baby...

It's not like how he was with the dogs. This is much more lax in nature. He'll get over it. And it is also possibly Hank is just irritating him trying to be so close right now. It's one or the other I think.

Also the boys are doing fine this morning. Hank slept with his sister in a pile as usual and Festus slept with Jimmy on the ironing board...

I am putting Festus outside in the morning probably. But not today. He won't run off or anything. I have shown him the food, water and litter but have yet to see him do anything. I did feed him some canned cat food this morning however by himself to make sure he eats. I am just not ready to throw him to the wolves this morning so soon after surgery. I want the "small wound" to heal. I don't like infections of any kind. However minor. So, I am going to give him time to heal. I know lots just put them back outside but I just can't yet. A couple days house time will do him good anyway.

So everyone is full, fat, and sassy this morning. Most are already outside to start their day. The babies, Jimmy, JJ , Cleo and Festus are indoors. And Star too of course. Everyone else is playing in the woods and chasing bugs and stuff.

One word about Star. Since me bringing her back in, she has made a major turnaround finally. She is letting me approach her and pet her. She has made a huge breakthrough. Until a few days ago, she was still basically standoffish. But she is really getting vocal and talking to me now and is actually nearly fully relaxed. I believe one day she will come and sit in my lap. I truely feel that now. It has taken her a long long time. Close the three years. 2.5 years. Jimmy will be doing the same one day too... He is going for the long haul like Star.........hehe The difference between Jimmy/Star and Festus/Rowdy is that Jimmy/Star were born feral. I believe Festus/Rowdy were not born to feral mothers. They were reverting back to the wild but they remember humans and human contact.

And I'm off to work. Thank goodness the morning is normal.......... a nice calm one...

Jenn

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I made a big mistake with JJ. I thought he might like to go outside for awhile and sit in the grass so hubby and I carefully carried him outside. Upon sitting him down in the grass, he bolted back to the door of the house as quick as he could. He was terrified of being outside. He was scared to death. He hid under a box by the door till we could get to him and carry him back inside.

He is our inside kitty. I am now not sure he will even like his enclosure! The last memory he has of being outside was when he was hurt so bad. He remembers and he feels secure and safe inside the house.

I WILL NEVER TAKE HIM OUTDOORS AGAIN. If he decides to use our new kitty door, it will be on his own... He feels safe in our home and that's where he is going to stay. I never dreamed he might be scared to be outside. It never even crossed my mind.

The fact that we helped him is the very reason he turned in to our guard cat. He has never felt safe before.

When we brought him in, we both held him and comforted him. He finally relaxed enough to rest and he sat in my husband's lap for a long time. He is recovered from being outside for 1 minute now, but it will never happen again. I think he thought we were abandoning him and he was having no part of it. He was confused and didn't know what was happening. He only knew safety was at the door to the house. It's a big compliment but it hurts to know that he is still so scared. It kinda reinforces my theory of it being the neighbor who hurt him... who lives right across the street.. Even if it is a few acres away. They have never seen JJ since his injury. Before or after surgery. And other than going to the vet, JJ has not been outside.

It just never crossed my mind that he would be so afraid. Someone hurt him very badly... I am hoping when we get moved, he might venture into the enclosure and the very fact that it is enclosed and is connected to the house might help him like it. But after his reaction today, it will take a while. He has emotional scars still. I knew he had never tried to go outside but once and that was to attack a TOM that was on our porch. That was before surgery however. But as a rule, he enjoys laying in front of the door and looking out but he never tried to go outside. Now I know he is afraid.. And that is sad. The vet has okayed him to go outdoors and said he would be fine. But that will not happen... no way jose.

He is ok now. He is eating.. He loves his food. And he loves us too. And he loves feeling safe!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, poor JJ. I do hope that in time, he can enjoy going out in his new enclosure, and it is good that you wont pressure him, he will get to do it at his own pace - maybe seeing the others go will entice him. Am glad he is better now though.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh....poor JJ.

I am so glad that he is safely back inside.
I think that it is wise to keep all foundling kitties inside forever.
There is no way to tell how they will react.

JJ

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will never put him outside again. We weren't going to leave him out there. We were going to sit with him. His reaction was real surprising. I could never just "put him out" as I am fearful since he only has three legs. I hope one day he enjoys the outdoors again. I hope he will feel safe in the enclosure. And you're right XO...... absolutely right! I totally agree. His environment needs to be geared strickly for his safety. He is doing just fine and is totally healed but he still just has three legs. He would not be able to escape as easy if something happened. I am saying that but JJ is quick as lightning as well when he runs. I really can't tell much difference in him since the surgery as far as being agile. But he is now an inside boy.

Here's todays pic. My kitty man-mama.

He is so sweet. They love him very much and JJ enjoys grooming them. I guess he just plans on continuing to nurse them. ??? He and Hank are back to normal as well.... Besides three three babes, there are two others that nurse him as well. He keeps all their ears scrubbed and usually grooms/cleans them as they nurse. Just like a mama cat. It just blows me away..... I have tons of pics of this.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you CathyC........

Here's one more of this morning.... He's through nursing them so now he is playing with his balls...... A slight pun there since his biological ones mysteriously disappeared one day!!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

He's through nursing them so now he is playing with his balls...... A slight pun there since his biological ones mysteriously disappeared one day!!

JJ has found his purpose in life....he is a loving nurse.

He look so content and healthy.
You have done a wonderful job with him and the kittens as well Jenn.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What wonderful pics. IT is amazing how quickly they are on 3 legs - Pebbles has a funny walk, but when she runs, I normally give up as I struggle to catch up to her!!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't catch JJ when he runs. When he walks he hops, but in a run, there is absolutely no difference. He is as fast as the others. And just as agile. He flies when he runs......hehe I totally understand Pebbles being fast when she runs too. It's like they don't need that leg to run. When JJ took off for the door, we were probably 50' from the front door and he made it back in just a couple seconds. My mouths dropped open as we struggled back up the hill breathlessly trying to get him. At first we thought he was running away he moved so fast. But he wanted in the house.

and thanks XO..... JJ is a good boy.. He has toys too for the first time. I never thought of that before. When he is through playing he rests his paws on them and takes a nap.. He loves that thing that has the ball that goes around. And he plays with the babies all the time. He is very very sweet and his true personality is finally blossoming and it is a sweet thing to see..

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He does sound a lot like Pebbles, I can't believe how quick she is at times. I must post some updated pics soon, her fur has pretty much all grown back now, and the only time I notice it if is she has her one back leg sprawled out, and it looks odd.
It does sound like he is really loving life now, he is free from pain and the bothersome leg, and he has wonderful owners that care for him.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenn...when I think about JJ's first photos with his injured hip, the sore on his leg, the depression that almost overwhelmed him, his amputation followed by his journey to were he is now...
a healthy, loving cat,
I realize what an exceptional cat your boy is.

You trusted in his potential and against all odds, went for it.

I hope that you have shared JJ's journey with the caring, generous people at IMOM.
They will be so pleased that your man-mama is doing so well.
Bravo Jenn & JJ.