Broken Hip

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

I bet she has some sort of nerve damage. I pray she gets ok...... It is so hard on the caregiver watching your animal drag their legs.

Please keep up updated. And for financial help, contact imom.org. Without that organization, JJ would not be well today...... They can help you. It is a quick process to get approved. Less than 24 hrs after you fax them the paperwork.

And also post a new post saying the same things in the health area which is were this post is, so you can get specific replies to this. Someone might know something you can do.

But when JJ first came to us with the nerve damage it was due to it being severed by the bone and so he dragged his legs. Hopefully your baby will heal and believe me when I say I am rooting for you both.

I willl watch for your post and the replies.

Good luck sweetie...........Jenn

p.s. There is also a tick paralysis. Have you checked her for ticks??
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001359.htm
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in.../bc/102600.htm
Great advice Jenn.

Oneteapot I'm sorry that I don't have any advice - though Jenn is correct, you're better off to start a new thread to get people's attention. I just want to say that you guys are in my prayers. Good luck.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
JJ updated surgery pics.

What amazes me about this surgery is the vet made the incision along a hair line where color changes and there is absolutely NO SCAR visible at all.

It was like cosmetic surgery. Dr Henry did an amazing job and until it healed I had no idea. But there is no visible evidence of scar tissue or that surgery was performed anywhere on JJ's body. At a casual glance and even on close inspection of the ex-wound site, it looks as through JJ were born without a leg. Great doctor!

Here is JJ today laying in the floor by the porch. He is definately my chuck.....hehe.. But like I said in an earlier post, his temperment is very dominate but he has finally leveled out and lets the dogs walk past him now.... He is the largest cat I have and he is very very beautiful..... since used to being inside now, he has NEVER tried to go back outside since his surgery. He has totally adaped to being a nursing mom/dad cat. He nurses them daily still. And they love it. His son Hank is big too. Bigger than any of the others. If you look close in the below pic, you will see where they have been nursing. Every night, he nurtures 5 kittens and lets them nurse. They dont' all nurse at once but take turns. And he grooms them while they nurse. They are all happy with the arrangement.

Speaking of Hank, this week he and his mom are getting fixed. I am making their appointment today...We received their certificates in the mail Friday afternoon. This Friday we are sending off for the rest so they can all be fixed...

I feel Hank is top priority since I have young females waiting to be fixed. Don't want an accident. They have not went into heat yet and I don't want them too.

Also the two feral males I have been trying to tame outside will now be no problem to catch. Both of the dark colored ones, Festus and "Rowdy" both let me pet them now... The grey has been gone or out of sight for a week at least. No idea where he is at, but the other two males will be no trouble. Took 6-8 months on one of them to let me pet him. But now, when I squat down, he walks up to me slowly. If I reach out slow I can pet him and after a minute or two, he will actually purr. I believe that they were dumped and reverted to being in survival mode. If I had not come along when I had to come in his life, it would have been too late for him. But I can tell at some point in his life, he was petted, but still very fearful. But he has made amazing progress. I finally named him Rowdy.

Star is also doing much better since I am "forcing" her to be a house cat. She is meowing at me all the time and seems more relaxed in the house and since being frontlined. [ She got it anyway].... She is finally getting playful with toys after over two years of me working with her. She plays with balls now and loves the cubes I bought and sits or attacks the other cats in them constantly. The cubes were the best thing I could have gotten to bring her out of her shell and into the main stream of our lives with the others. I am so proud of her.

Jimmy is back to walking through the house again. He has period where he just hides and then decides to hang out. I still can't openly pet him but we talk everyday... He is coming along but at a slower pace. But each time he ventures out, he is much more relaxed. It is possibly his life experiences before being a house cat were just horrendous and that's why he is talking so long to totally relax in his environment. But I have no doubt, he will one day be a couch potato cat. Feral or not... He knows all the others and they hang out but humans are the thing that he fears the most. He is healthy and fat and sassy... Very laid back kitty man... I can't wait to see him in the enclosure checking out the outside world.

This is Star attacking Tink. Star is probably a year older than Tink but they have known each other Tinks entire life and were friends when Tink was still a wild kitty. These two and Cookie are very closely bonded and watch out for one another.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww, he is looking really well, and his looks a lot like Pebbles's did. The pics of the others are good, I am so pleased that everyone is doing so well, it seems like ages since we had an update!!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that you are busy with work, your growing fur family & your new home, but....
I was beginning to have JJ withdrawals.

Thanks for the fix....JJ looks handsome & healthy.

Job well done Jenn.

I love your kitties in the cube pictures.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I haven't been updating.. I really am......... I have been so busy with getting the final stages of our move ready that we are working nonstop . We are just half dead these days. All my kittes are doing wonderful! And thank you for the compliments. And JJ is the best cat ever. He knows how to open doors......... If he can't get his paw in the door, he reaches for the doorknob and when he can't get it open, he stares at us. He is very intelligent. It's comical and he makes us laugh all the time.

He is human or half human. When he uses his litter box, he squats over it. He NEVER gets all the way in it. He uses it like a toilet. He does reach around and cover it thank god. hehe..... He is very civilized.... I do believe he is mimicing the toilet from watching us. He is something else.

But I must tell you all something. When we get moved, we will be without internet for about 2 months...... We can't afford the satellite equipement costs right up front. So, we will have to save for that. It might not even be two months but that's what we are estimating. I am thinking of trying my hand at writing about my cats during that time.. I have never written before and am not sure what I would say because I think putting it down in a book format might be entirely different than talking to you guys. Not the same thing at all. But I might try. I dont' want to lose track of all they do. And if I don't take daily pictures and keep things updated, when I get back you guys won't know what's going on. So I promise to keep track of things while I am off line. We are going with a satellite company called vsat. Satellite internet is the only way we will get internet out there. It is too remote for dial up or dsl. We already have satellite tv installed. We did that last week. We are lucky our cell phones reach out there. Alltel brand. All those others did not work where we live. But alltel reaches from every corner of our property so we got lucky on that.

But I promise to do better until that dreaded internet lull happens...... It will be approx 2.5 weeks before that occurs. We are moving things now but we do plan on paying an additional two weeks rent here so we can clean things up for the owner. The deposit will aid us in saving for internet equipement. It is going to cost somwhere in the neighborhood of 800.00 for equipement alone. We could get it cheaper but not better. And we want it to last since we have to buy it. It's won't take long because of the money we will be saving after we get in the house. But even before saving for internet, we have to winterize the house as this is already the end of August. Missouri winters in the mountains can come quick and we need to be ready. It is already in the 80's here and this week, it is dropping to 59 degrees at night. I can already feel a change in the air. The animals need to be ready and so do the people. We still have to buy wrapping for all the pipes we installed. We are buying our wood burning stove first and getting it ready to use. We have two electic heaters. We have already insulated everything but we have to get the animals shelters prepared. We have decided in the enclosure to completely cover a 10x10 or 10x20 section with tarp with a tiny opening [a slit] going into their yard and we are putting a heat lamp in there for them if they choose to sit outside in the cold. Of course they always have their kitty door but some are hard headed cats and choose to be cold. We want them wam. And we want their beds warm.

We have to do those things before the internet. It is our priority.

So........I will keep updating but some of it won't be online after we actually get moved. But I will be back. It will only be for a bit....

And I am glad Pebbles amputation went well too. It is just amazing that such major surgery has so little physical impact on scaring. Doctors who care make all the difference in the world......

I love my JJ and I am so glad he came back to me when he got hurt.

With love to all,
Jenn and her gang.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hank and Cow have their appointment to get fixed Wednesday morning with Dr Divine..........

It will be simply divine not to have to worry about Cow anymore....... love it love it love it!!! I am getting them both wormed with a rabies shot as well. The other shots will have to wait till after the move. But those things are very important.

All this little group as they get fixed will get wormed with their rabies. After the move, when we have more money, we will do the feline leuk/aid testing and shots. Then all will be done.

The next group to be fixed are the two black/white feral males. Rowdy and Festus.... They are going with us. I cannot leave them behind. They rely on us for food. I know I have enough cats but I already feed them and have for months. It will be no different and they are homeless except for us.

I just gained their trust and will not abandon them.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a couple of house updates so you can see what we have been up to.

It is very exciting.

The kitty door is installed with carpet...... ahhhhhhh....

Carpet..........ahhhhhhhhhh Trim to be done after we move in... We don't care about trim at this point at all.......but carpet...........ahhhhh

Husband built me some beautiful closet shelves.

And we finally have a restroom.........ahhhhhhhhh The green rock is going to be tiled.

Bathroom shelves..........large deep ones......ahhhhhhhhh

Nothing is trimmed but like I said, that is the very least of our worries.

And the first kitty corner post is in place. Husband is doing the rest or most of them TOMORROW!!!!! Then the fence stringing process begins....

We still need to lay carpet in the living room but the rest is finally reached a livable conclusion after 7 long months of grueling work......

All we need for next spring is a fully functional windmill for electricity. Then we can plan our retirement in style!!!

You know how you can hear a saying your whole life and think you understand it? Well, when you live that saying........well........it takes on a whole new meaning. And that saying is "ENJOYING THE FRUITS OF YOUR LABORS"..........and I mean that wholeheartedly. It is a very satisfying feeling. To a lot, this little fishing shack we turned into our home might not seem like much but to us, it is everything. It is paid for in full... We have a home. A small 800' home but our home. Next year we are adding an other bedroom to it but if we don't, it will still be just fine...

I don't know what else to say. I am hardly ever at a loss for words.

Well, xo and satai, booktigger............see ya tomorrow!! You guys are just great!!! You have been here with me all the way! Your support means a lot and I am truely going to miss you until I get my darned internet back.

We will have lots to catch up on and you guys better keep updating on this post so I can find it all......hehe

Love, Jenn

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, it is looking really well Jenn, and it is fab that your ferals wont be without you in the move. It must be wonderful having everything how you want it, and I hope you get everything sorted and back on line quickly, we will miss hearing how they have all settled in the new house - keeping a diary so you can update us is an excellent idea. I am glad things are going well with getting them neutered.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenn...
I am so impressed with all that you are accomplishing in your life.
I hope that you continue to write during your web downtime.
So many of us live in cities.
Because you live in a more isolated environment, & have an interesting, unique voice that brings color & life to your stories, I always look forward to reading your posts.

You will be missed.

When your return please send a PM to me that you are back.
Be sure to let us know, before you leave us so we don't worry.

Fingers are crossed that Dr Divine is all that you hoped he would be & that the kitties do well.

Your place is really looking great.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will be a couple weeks Xo, but I promise to let you know BEFORE it occurs. And I will be pming when I get back......

I hope Doc D works out good too........ He is probably a good doctor because he is actually interested in controlling the pet population over making more bucks fixing at a higher rate. He is doing this out of the goodness of his heart nearly.

The rabies/worm meds per cat is only 6.95. So all of cow's babies before we move, will that that done as well plus the two little rug muffins from my job. They have never been outside since I brought them indoors and I hesitate to let them out until they have at least their rabies vaccination just for precautionary reasons...

Speaking of the rug muffins, the one named Sugar......my husband has fell in love with her. I was telling him about the cat here named Pebbles and he changed her name to Pebbles. He loves it. hehe He did that this morning. I think she will end up being an inside cat only.. She is very very laid back. She does not play well with the others. She is a finicky eater so we have to hand feed her. She does not share well and I don't mean she doesn't share. She is so laid back and passive that she will let the other cats get all her food and take all her stuff. So we have to watch her and make sure she gets her share. We have taken to feeding her seperate until she gets bigger. She is my husbands little baby girl and he carries her all the time.

She does not romp. She only wants to lay by my husband's leg. Dovey is so jealous of her. So Juan protects her and she knows it. He has bonded with her big time.

She is healthy but very very tiny compared to the others. She probably weighs two pounds. Maybe 3 but I doubt it.

When he is on the puter, she lays on a towel on a little table beside him.... I will have to get some pics of this.

But she is his and I am so glad....... His other fav cat is Yellow and Yellow loves this little girl kitty. He grooms her too. So, Yellow and Juan and Pebbles/Sugar are a team........

And that's todays news. Time to cook supper now..... Hubby is not home yet. It was his day off so he is out working on the new place. After I cook, I might drive out and view his progress. But I might not too. I am pretty tired today.

Talk later, Jenn and her gang.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank for the update Jenn..
Everyone should have their very own kitty,
now Juan has his little Pebbles.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I am up talking to Hank........ telling him tomorrow is his surgery day. I can't find Cow. We have searched for her all day long. It is midnight now and I am fixing to go back outside and keep looking. She is the main one I want to have this tomorrow. My husband was off work today and he said he looked all day long.

So..........if we can't find her another outside kitty [probably Festus] will go in her place.

But here's little Hanks before surgery picture....... He is a handful and is so much like JJ. He is one bundle of pure energy! He is going to be a very very big boy like JJ also. He has a solid hard body and is a leader as well.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh No Jenn...
Cow....where are you?????

Hank is a very handsome boy.
I sure hope that Miss Cow returns before you have to leave tomorrow.

Good luck.

Will be watching for your update.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, no cow kitty.

Festus and Hank are ready to go. I brought Festus indoors an hr ago. He is scared as he has only been inside once other time and that was an accident when he was "running with the pack" ...or........ "piddling with the pride"....hehe

But right now, he is back there with Jimmy. I have his big wire crate in the living room which is where I will be putting him. Him and Hank can ride together. I will send after surgery pics when I get home from work. My husband is taking them.

Festus looks so different than when he first came up as well. He was a wild mangy cat dirt thin...

They are both in the crate right now.....

In 4 testicles, I'll be back!
Jenn and the gang

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is festus and he is in the car with Hank....... Never could find Cow. We have looked and looked and called and called. So Festus is the substitute. If we can locate Cow, we will get her done in the next day or two. We won't need a cert for it.

Surgery day has arrived and poor Festus is scared to death but doing good. While he was in the house this morning, he did approach me and let me pet him. But he doesn't let anyone else touch him. I hope all goes well today. I am not worried about Hank. He is a perfect kitty. I was just figuring out his age and the first time I took a pic of him was May 16 and he was about 5 weeks old so he is around 5 months now.

But this is Festus a month ago or so on the porch... He used to be a mangy mess. His rear portion had absolutely no hair and he was covered in scabs. I am not sure if it was mange or ringworms. I used atheletes foot med so it was probably ringwoms. He was very difficult to treat. I wore gloves and worked up to him slowly over a couple month long periods to treat him and entice him with food. He is a true success story... He is a porch cat at this time. Both Hank and Festus are going to be commercially wormed today by the vet and get their rabies shots as well. So then, they will be good to go for our move.

This is his brother who is in the next batch [pending Cow] with a couple of the little girls.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad I got caught up on this thread. It sounds like everything is starting to fall into place Jenn, and I couldn't be happier to hear about the house, JJ, Jimmy and the rest of the family. Festus is gorgeous, and so lucky to have found his way to your porch.

I will definitely miss you and these threads during your internet absence.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Renny.......!

I am still here this morning. I am going to work a few hrs late today. Husband drove my car and it has all my stuff in it. Credit card, check book, drivers license and money for gas. He left me empty and I didnt' realize it until I was at the gas station. So I am back home....... My job said it was ok to come in late today and I have about 3 hrs to kill till he gets home with the cats. The good thing about that is I will get to see them when they get here.

And guess what else? When I got home just now, Cow was on the porch.....

Where was that stinker last night? I am bringing her inside and if they can work her in tomorrow [hopefully], she will be fixed.... But if not tomorrow, next Tuesday. The vet fixes ferals/strays/SNAP cats on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.......

So it could be next Tuesday. Tomorrow or next Tuesday.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And you know, I am going to miss this place while offline. I have come to really enjoy writing about my cats here......