Broken Hip

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, Jenn, everything's going to be alright. JJ won't feel abandoned--he's going to have an entire staff to spoil him. I know you're still torn about the amputation, but from your posts I'd say you have a wonderful, caring vet. If he didn't think it was the right thing to do, I honestly don't think he would do it.
I'll be keeping you & Juan & your sweet JJ in my thoughts. Wishing him all the best.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenn

Why are they keeping him so long? Generally it is an overnight stay and the cat is home.?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Jen.... you have taken such great care of JJ. Bless your heart, all that you have been through. Im praying that everything will go just fine. You have saved his life .... what a beautiful person you are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, JJ is at the vet for his pre-lab pre-surgery stuff that they do. Today is strickly lab work and getting him prepared. Other than lab work I'm not sure what all that entails...

Since his surgery is tomorrow, they said it is standard to keep animals at least three days following any major surgery just to make sure all goes well and that no complications occur. They told me this morning I can pick him up at the earliest Thurday evening and the latest would be Friday. And that is a perfect scenerio with no complications.

Hiss, I don't know what the norm is on this because this is the first time I have ever had anything like this happen to an animal. I will ask them again tomorrow when I call them or when they call me. They said by noon or so tomorrow his surgery should be over. So I told them I would call at noon tomorrow for an update on his condition. Does it mean that it might not go so good if they keep them longer? Or do they possibly suspect that something is going to happen? Jeez... The vet also told IMOM that if there were complications that he would pay for that himself but surely he would have said if he thought that would happen. He actually said just the opposite and he thought no complications would occur.

I don't know anymore than that right now but if this is "out of the norm" for him to stay three days then I am starting to get a little paranoid now. I just got back from dropping him off with three vet techs. They are taking him off solid food tonight at around 9pm tonight. I took him in his own large wire crate. I don't know if they leave him in that but coming home he will be more comfortable in that.

I am going to wash our large dog crate out and put it in our bedroom for his recovery. I'll talk to vet personall when I pick him up and find out how long I have to keep him resting without running or jumping. I am not even sure if he had stitches or staples yet. I am remembering all sorts of thing that I forgot to ask like that. But those are the minor things.

But the three day stay after major surgery is just standard at this particular hospital.

I will keep all updated.... but I am certainly going to re-ask why he has to stay three days... Especially if most come home the next day... I just didn't know the right questions to ask. I like this vet and he seems to be a great vet.

Hiss, any thoughts on this or on what I should ask the vet tomorrow concerning this? If any?........ I am pretty darn hardheaded at times and I feel I don't want to make large waves concerning this because JJ is at their mercy right now. Kinda like a newborn in a daycare. I just want this OVER so he can be home.

From a very nervous and paranoid Jenn

ps: I am going to tape and bed today to stay occupied. Our sheet rocking is done... I told the vet I would be on my cell phone if they needed me for anything. Thank you all for the kind thoughts and sweet healing vibes...

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so quiet here at home right now. There is no JJ meowing at me and talking...

And I have found the flea problem area. Bedding in an extra room here in the house. I am shutting it off and bombing today and blocking the door with towels and pillow and blankets. The DE I bought is useless. Frontline and bombs.........they are the way to go. I think the problem started when the babies mama brought fleas in and a few got in the carpet and multipled. Today is their last day. I tried the natural method first and it did not work...... So today I am poisoning them.. Don't worry, cats are issolated from the bombing area. But today I am starting a raging flea war and I have no intention of losing.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenn...here is a calming hug. ((((hug))))
You and JJ are in my prayers.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to check in and wish you and JJ all the luck and best wishes for the next few days. I'll be waiting on pins and needles to hear the outcome of the surgery.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Day 1 of flea war.

Bomb is going off. I turned off CH/A and shut the vent. I have a window unit in the living room I'm going to turn on for the few cats in the house while I am gone. Tomorrow, I will put the spare cats in the other bedroom and bomb the rest of the house. But that will be Day 2 of flea war. Front line should be here in approx 2-3 days. It went out in the mail last friday.... And they said 7 business days so it is possible it will be Monday. But it has shipped......

Jenn

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Renny and XOCATS........ I am hoping all goes well too...

I am not usually a nervous person but today I am just not my usual self...... Tomorrow evening hopefully after all the surgery is done, I can relax.

They are removing his male anatomy as well so poor JJ is getting a double whammy......

But I'm glad it is all going to be done at once. My next payday, Cow, the babies mama is getting fixed as well.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
JJ and the rest of the gang are so luck to have found you and vise versa.

I am keeping JJ in my thought and sending out all will go well vibes.

Now keep yourself busy, you'll see time will fly and before you know it JJ will be home recovering.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When our kitty got his leg amputated, he stayed at the vets at least overnight, but I can't remember exactly how long.

Staying longer is a good thing - it shows they care about their animals, and want to make sure they don't get any post operation problems. It probably also ensures the cat stays quiet for a few days, and gets plenty of rest.

It sounds as though he's in excellent hands!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just called the vet and I feel much better. They said the three days is ONLY an estimate. It depends on how JJ recovers after surgery. They said he has to stay until he is eating good and using his litter box. Like people when they have surgery. She also said that the time varies from cat to cat.... like a person. She said sometimes this is faster than three days and sometimes it takes longer. But it depends on the cat and how they do after this type of surgery. But with him there till he does his kitty job, they can keep an eye on him.

So he is in good hands with allstate.

I feel better,.......

Jenn

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's good!! So does this mean you'll stop nervously pacing the house now?

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will absolutely quit pacing the house now.........hehe

It's a big relief.... I remember when my husband had several abdominal surgeries and every time as soon as surgery was over...........we waited.. We waited for that special sound.....

And it's the same with JJ. They are being careful and I was being paranoid.

From a more relaxed Jenn

p.s. I would not tape and bed today... I've been too busy pacing... and scrubbing and cleaning and de-fleaing...

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They also said they drew his blood for his lab and got that sent off and JJ did pretty good while they did that. They have him settled in for the evening in his cage with food and water right now but the food comes up later on so his stomach will be empty for surgery.

And it is nice that he is doing well and is relaxed with Dr Henry. With the first vet I took him to right after he showed up in this condition, JJ did not do well there. He fought them during the xray. He did not like them very much. I don't know if they were rougher or if he just did not like the xray.

But at Dr. Henry's JJ was totally relaxed even with the first visit. He was allowed to walk all over the counters and after they finished weighing him, he kept getting back in the weigh tray and sitting down. It was as if he wanted to be weighed again.

But all is ok with JJ with Dr Henry. He cooperates fully with them. But animals can tell when someone likes them. I was nervous for nothing... HE WILL BE FINE!!! I WILL FOLLOW JJ's LEAD IN THIS.... If he is relaxed, I will be relaxed or try to be.

Tomorrow is the big day! And even if everything goes absolutely perfect, it is very hard to think of my beautiful JJ with only three legs. Hopefully I will miss that leg more than him.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I am sure he is going to be fine. My vet initially said Pebbles would be there for 2 days, and then cos she was hopping round the cage the day after, they said she could come home that day - as I work, she was there till early evening, which was prob better for her really. I do know of a cat that came home the same day as an amputation (which I Woudln't like personally), and didn't have to have any cage rest.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

They also said they drew his blood for his lab and got that sent off and JJ did pretty good while they did that. They have him settled in for the evening in his cage with food and water right now but the food comes up later on so his stomach will be empty for surgery.

And it is nice that he is doing well and is relaxed with Dr Henry. With the first vet I took him to right after he showed up in this condition, JJ did not do well there. He fought them during the xray. He did not like them very much. I don't know if they were rougher or if he just did not like the xray.

But at Dr. Henry's JJ was totally relaxed even with the first visit. He was allowed to walk all over the counters and after they finished weighing him, he kept getting back in the weigh tray and sitting down. It was as if he wanted to be weighed again.

But all is ok with JJ with Dr Henry. He cooperates fully with them. But animals can tell when someone likes them. I was nervous for nothing... HE WILL BE FINE!!!
Thank you for taking the time to update us all - we love JJ and are rooting for him!

I know it's awful when they are away from us overnight, so be kind to yourselves as well. I will be thinking of you both too.