Bringing The Rudi Cat indoors

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH! Yes - scratching! Any large old limbs of wood lying around? Or a stump piece that's not too hard for you to carry? He'll likely really take to those. :nod:

Once he's out and about... to protect your furniture, you will need to figure out what he likes to scratch and how. It's important to note that cats love to stretch and scratch when they wake up, so having something right where he loves to sleep most will really help. :nod: (Or a few things near the spots he likes to hang out ;) ).

Our outside cats are scared of toys, for the most part. :lol3: I did try to introduce a feather wand. Baloo eventually got bold enough to grab it, tackle it, and run off with it. :flail:
Mine are loving old car seat, great for stretching and clawing, those can be even free if not very good shape, cat's don't mind if there is small hole here or there and if it has worn so that almost impossible to sit, all the better, makes good cat bed too, adjustable one actually.

Small sisal mouses are something mine are not afraid, anything small and rather light is actually great, tin foil crumpled to ball is many hours of fun, lot of speed, every time I make one and toss to them one picks it up very gently and carefully as it being most valuable treasure, carries it to their playground and then they start to hunt, probably cheapest toy that has so much fun.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap::clap: FANTASTIC!!! Your doing great and I am so glad Rudi is progressing well. :D Poor little man, hasn't a clue yet what to expect - BUT believe me, he will catch on quickly once he realizes he is safe and nothing bad is going to happen. Great news about his eye too!!!! :D :vibes:

It is possible for the kitties to get a little "lazier" after being spayed/neutered. A little weight and a nice full coat is good for Paddy right now with the colder temps. She will get herself in shape in the Spring :D:clap:. You are feeding her well :nod:. :happy3:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dunnyboy69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback.

I did a bit of washing this afternoon - very hopeful that, in a couple of hours, I can get the big guy and his adoptive sister in again. Paddy will be a piece of cake! It's set to be another chilly night in rural England.

He has been such a lovebug all day today. Mid-afternoon, he actually came in the front door for a bit and sat with me in the hall. Actually more like sat on me .... not laps, but curled up near my feet.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think he's starting to catch on! :lol3:

Aw that is just GREAT! :clap:

As to the belly question.... I really don't know what's up. We have four regulars in the colony - three are girls. Two of them look REALLY round. I commented on this to Gary just yesterday, in fact. They're like little butterballs! Now - they did NOT look like this going into winter. And we are able to treat one of them with a topical dewormer and flea/tick medication, so she does NOT have a belly full of worms - and she's one of the kitties that, like you, I would think is preggers! So I'm guessing it's got everything to do with winter. They probably get less exercise in the cold, but eat as much as possible because of the cold? :dk: AND look bigger because of the winter coats. :nod:

dunnyboy69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rather drizzly day here in England, so when a rather bedraggled Rudi came for breakfast this morning, I thought I'd try again to get him some 'inside time'. He actualy ventured a good way into the kitchen to eat his breakfast, which is something he hasn't been doing for the last few days. It's almost as if he was saying - 'hey, you know, maybe it wouldn't be the end of the world...'

So both R & P currently in the utility room having a morning out of the rain. When I go back this lunchtime I'll see how they are (am sure P will be fine - she's been almost impossible to keep out, but these are the sacrifices we make). Before I let them out again, the plan is to spend a bit of time in the room with them - and get the treats out.

He'll never be an indoor cat (and I don't want him to be exclsuviely indoors) - but I do want him to be at that stage where he can come in whenever he fancies.

dunnyboy69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
More good progress.

When I went back this lunchtime, I spied in through the window and could see him sat out in the middle of the utility room floor facing the door that leads in to the rest of the house.

I let myself in throught the front door and wandered into the utility room. He was a bit moany, but when I sat down on the floor he popped over, sniffed my foot and allowed a little petting. I gave them both some treats.

When I opened the back door (onto the outside world) he bounded for freedom - but hung around the courtyard while I washed up plates etc. And I then bumped into him about 20 mins later round the back of the farm and we had a good quality belly-rubbing session.

So the fear is diminishing!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap: Great update here :D!!!!!!! AWWW so glad to hear things are progressing SO very well for Rudi :D. Love happy reports :D :clap::clap:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: :clap: :clap: It's got to be a great feeling to have him not make a mad dash for his freedom. :lol3: On those cold winter nights... it's GOT to be more pleasant! But he's clearly not upset with you for any of this, so that's just fabulous! :bigthumb:

I can't WAIT until you tell us - Rudi slept in front of the fire last evening! :D Let's just hope it's not NEXT winter before he discovers that luxury....

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love reading these updates. He is doing remarkably well!