breeders of orange cats

redhead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The people I contacted told me to boil chicken bones until they start to smell and then to tie them with string in the traps, she said the scent attracts them, but then they cannot easily get out with the bone since it's tied in and the trap should go off...

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RedHead

The people I contacted told me to boil chicken bones until they start to smell and then to tie them with string in the traps, she said the scent attracts them, but then they cannot easily get out with the bone since it's tied in and the trap should go off...
Actually I know a lot of trappers who swear by KFC. They tie the pieces into the trap.

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Redhead,

No way can you have a red tabby male in that litter if the mother is blue/grey tabby and the father is red/white. The mother HAS to give the color genes to the males and females and the father gives the color gene to the females.

The X gene is the color and sex gene, the Y gene is the sex gene.

If the father is a XY and the "x" is red he can only give red to female kittens. The mother is a XX and so can have colors on both and she can give one of those colors to any male kittens.

If she is grey tabby the only color she can pass on to male and female kittens is GREY. If there is a red male in that litter then the mother is a BlueCream - somewhere on her has to be the other color - even if its a very small spot.

I know of a "red" tortie rex - they thought and registered it as a red because there was no black they could see. However, in one of the litters there was a tortie. They looked at the mother again and on one paw they found one tiny black spot which made her a tortie and not a solid red.

I'm sure if you look very careful you will find a cream spot on the mother.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that 70% of red (ginger) cats are male. I had a beautiful red foster girl last year! And of course I have my Garfield!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Red, it has to be a CREAM spot, not white - white has nothing to do with things. Too bad you don't have some pictures for us of the mother to help you out.

redhead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's basically feral, she's not much of a mother either, she leaves them in pallets of bags in the warehouse where it is not very safe for them. She knows that we take care of them and has let us take the two litters she had without any protest. She is young herself. It's hard to get a good look at her, must less take a pic of her. The Dad is the same way, only he has gotten to where he comes by my window at work everyday, so I get a closer look at him without him knowing. It's funny my female kitten looks just like him, only the Dad has a white spot on his hip and she has one just like it in the middle of her back. My little male is solid orange except for a little white around his eyes.

chester1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Princess Purr

Some pure breeds are orange...
Happy to say that I adopted a lovely 8 mth. old male orange Tabby two weeks ago from the A.S.P.C.A. in Bracebridge. He's adorable and so affectionate. My first cat was a male persian "Tun-Tun" who died at 18, my second one a male Maine Coon (Calley Lee)tricoloured who died at 16, my third one a female grey DSH (Baleigh Bee) who just died at 9 years of age in her sleep. She had various health problems at birth but I got them all at shelters further south in Newmarket Ontario. My new cat, Chester, is affectionate, purr's constantly hasn't shown a claw or a tooth since I brought him home two weeks ago. I call him "His Orangeness" behind his back..Thank God for Shelters...Chester1

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Colors are not a "breed", they are a color within the breeds. Orange is called "red" by breeders and grey is "blue".

The only time you'd have more of a 50/50 split with red cats is, for example, in a breed with limited colors - abys or somilias. The only way you get red females is with a red male bred to a calico, tortie, or another red female.

I know when I bred rexes I got almost all red males (had a tortie/calico) and the one time I did breed with a cream male, I didn't get any females in the litter.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our baby is a orange and white marble colored kitten............female.
We found her, so I have no idea what her Mom or Dad were, but her littermate was a gray tiger stripped(it was already dead when we found them)