breeders of orange cats

ziggy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by chixyb

I have never heard the term ginger! Wow, you learn new things everyday! I guess some of us use the color "orange" more the mixed breed cats we know, at least I do, but then the purebreds are called red. So strange!
It's the same with people with ginger hair, we don't call it red hair. If you say that, people think you literally mean red, as in dyed pillar box red

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by NASAnaut
I don't know who's Abys you have seen but a red Aby shouldn't look red. If you want to see a good Aby you should go to this link:

http://www.knology.net/~ginawiley/truluck2.html

The first cat is Sizzle, he is currently the top Aby in Premeirship in CFA, judges comment on his rich coloring. His coloring is what you want on a red Aby. A red cat is not the same color as Sizzle. He has the dark rich coloring that I am talking about, chocolatey browny red, very warm tones, not red.
Just because that cat isn't more of a red/sorrel doesn't mean they are all supposed to be like that. Not all havana browns are the same color, it doesn't mean one is wrong or one is right. One may be closer to the standard, but they are still accepted. I know more about Somalis then Aby's so I am not an expert, but they are almost the same, but most the reds/sorrels I see are the lighter richer color, yet I have also seen some that look more ruddy then anything. All CFA and TICA shows I have been to they are lighter, all except one cat. So it just differs on their blood lines I guess. I don't mean to offend you here, this is just a difference of opinions.

Originally posted by Ziggy
It's the same with people with ginger hair, we don't call it red hair. If you say that, people think you literally mean red, as in dyed pillar box red
really? We don't call it ginger either for hair,at least not out here, it is red, or auburn, or strawberry blonde...haha I guess we use so many different words all across the world, and they all have the same meaning!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Ziggy
Interesting discussion on color terms. I have "red" hair. It looks ginger color, but I've always been called a "redhead". I like to call ginger/orange/deep yellow tabby cats "reds".

Perhaps this is a matter of terminology used in different countries. I think "ginger" is much more interesting and accurate than red.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually there is no such thing as orange purebred cats. red is the correct term.

we've never owned a red female but have had red bicolor females. Not exactly rare.

nasanaut

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally posted by chixyb
Just because that cat isn't more of a red/sorrel doesn't mean they are all supposed to be like that. Not all havana browns are the same color, it doesn't mean one is wrong or one is right. One may be closer to the standard, but they are still accepted.
Exactly, one is closer to the standard, therefore his coloring is more of what you want on that particular cat. If you had two red Abys who are identical other than their coloring, one has a deep, rich color and one has a sort of washed out color the deep one is better. Sure, you can show the washed out one, but it isn't going to do well against the rich one. Last weekend I was at a show where ther was a Aby Premiership class of 6; two ruddy's, two reds, a blue and a fawn. One of the "ruddys" was an open, he had very poor coloring, the standard calls for a coat to be "ruddy brown (burnt-sienna), ticked with various shades of darker brown or black" this cat had a very lightly colored coat, not burnt-sienna, almost like the ground color of a cinnamon spotted ocicat. Judges "accepted" this but they penalized it because it had a coldness to its coat. The color isn't "wrong" but it certainly isn't right either.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sam,
Thank you for your interest in seeing pictures of my sweet baby girl! I seem to be having a difficult time showing her pictures. How did you get your babies under your name? I haven't been able to make Sierra her own special page because it says my pictures are too large..how do I make them smaller???help!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To make your photos smaller, you need photo editing software. There are lots of options. ACDSee (Classic, i.e. the plain jane version) comes bundled with the HP Photosmart cameras, and it's a good piece of work -- very user friendly. It's also readily available for not a lot of $$, and the latest version, which has more bells and whistles, is not a great deal more expensive.

However, there are lots of others, too. Whichever you settle on, you need to find a feature called "resize" or something to that effect, and make the largest side of the image no more than 400 pixels. That will give you an image the site will accept for most situations. You should make those images even smaller, though, if you want to put them in your signature, say 200 pixels on the largest side.

And to put them in your signature, you also need to find a site to host them, which allows remote linking. I use either Village Photos or Ripway which are not expensive. Some members have also found free hosting services, though I wonder how long they'll stay that way: Village Photos was free when I started there, but they changed their account structure so that the free account does not allow remote linking anymore.

Anyway, there's some info to get you started. Others will undoubtedly reply with their favourite software and hosting sites. Details about how to actually get that edited picture into your post are in this thread.

And we'll look forward to seeing your pictures. Good luck!

noelsmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can anyone tell me if Maine Coon's can be red? My daughters and I were touring a friends wildlife art studio/factory last week when we met a their resident lion/cat. He had been dumped off with his sister at the front door several years ago, when he was just a few weeks old. The staff raised them on bottles letting them sleep in a desk drawer until they were big enough to get around. Now, the pair of kitties own and operate the business......LOL....
But my point is, he is red, long-haired and HUGE!!! He weighs 28 pounds! (He is not fat) and stands nearly 13 inches at the shoulder. I had a fit over him - but because of the strange way they came by him, no one knows what breed he is. His sister is a large cat too, but not nearly that large.

I tried to convince my buddy (and everyone who works for him) that the male would be much happier living with me, LOL... but they didn't buy it. Oh well, anyone know where I might find one like him?

angela

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did a search for you and found some Maine Coon breeders in Georgia:

Name: Ann Boyer
Cattery: Congocoons (CFA, TICA)
Shipping? We ship both domestically and internationally.
Notes: Champion lines. Pet cats/kittens sold with altering agreement. Written sales contract. FeLV, FIP, and FIV negative. Screen for cardiomyopathy. Brown tabby, silver tabby, blue tabby, red tabby with and without white, solid white and black. Licensed by the State of Georgia.

Contact Congocoons by:
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 770-310-9840
Visit the Cattery http://www.congocoons.com

Name: Grace Ann Cox
Cattery: Big Meow (CFA, TICA)
Shipping? We ship both domestically and internationally.
Notes: Grand Champion lines. Regional Winner lines. Pet cats/kittens altered prior to placement. Written sales contract. Written health guarantee. FeLV and FIV negative, Screen for cardiomyopathy, Ringworm free. tabbies, blue, red, cream, brown, black, tortoiseshell, silver, with or without white. No solid whites. Member of CFA's Maine Coon breed council. Licensed by the State of Georgia.

Contact Big Meow by:
Telephone: 770-972-2967
Visit the Cattery http://www.geocities.com/the_big_meow/index.html

Name: Pamela Loud and Patricia Reggio
Cattery: Hissinghurst (CFA, TICA)
Shipping? We do not ship our cats.
Notes: Grand Champion lines. Written health guarantee. Brown, blue, red, cream, and patched tabby with or without white.

Contact Hissinghurst by:
Telephone: 770-419-0390
Visit the Cattery http://www.hissinghurst.com

Name: Mary Rau
Cattery: Nandi (CFA)
Shipping? We do not ship our cats.
Notes: Grand Champion lines. Written health guarantee. Cats guaranteed FeLV-negative. Ringworm free. Classic brown and red tabby with or without white.

Contact Nandi by:
Visit the Cattery http://www.nandimainecoons.com

Name: Deborah Shields
Cattery: Sho-Go (CFA, TICA)
Shipping? We ship, but prefer to place locally.
Notes: Grand Champion lines. Written health guarantee. Classic brown, red, silver, torbie, tortie, with and without white.

Contact Sho-Go by:
Telephone: 770-830-8307
Visit the Cattery http://www.mindspring.com/~djshields/Default.html

Georgia
Name: Jack and Darlene Sweeney
Cattery: Coonsworth (CFA, TICA, MCBFA)
Shipping? Will ship, but prefer to place locally.
Notes: Grand Champion lines. Regional Winner lines. Written sales agreement with written health guarantee. FeLV and FIV-negative. Screened for cardiomyopathy. Classic and mackerel brown, patched and blue tabby, with and without white, red, and black.

Contact Coonsworth by:
Telephone: 770-977-1210 Evenings EST
Visit the Cattery http://www.coonsworth.com

Name: Gerry Walsh
Cattery: Walmet (CFA, TICA)
Shipping? We ship, but prefer to place locally.
Notes: Grand Champion lines. Regional Winner lines. Written health guarantee. Screen for cardiomyopathy. Brown, blue and red tabby with and without white, occasionally solid.

Contact Walmet by:
Telephone: 770-394-9649
Visit the Cattery: http://www.walmetmainecoon.com

Hope that helps, I found this on www.breedlist.com

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi SierrasMommy, you have received some excellent advice from Fran!
Good luck.

Angela, yes indeed Maine coons can be red, infact they come in every color possible. Good luck finding one. Maine coons are lovely cats.

redhead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little ones came from a litter of 4. Their mother is a grey tabby with no white on her, just grey with black stripes, their father is orange and white, his orange spots are tabby striped. The 4 kittens are: one solid orange male tabby (My Bailey), a mostly white female with a few orange spots that are tabby striped and her tail is orange and white striped, another orange and white female who looks just like her Dad (my Abby) and one female that looked like a calico when born but now she's 8 weeks old and she is spotted all over, however since she has gotten older her black spots have turned to grey/black tabby striped spots mixed with orange and white spots. So that is one orange male to three females in this litter. The mother's last litter had a grey tabby, a creamy orange tabby, a darker orange tabby and a black one, not sure what sex they turned out to be, they went to a foster home and were all adopted out.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RedHead

My little ones came from a litter of 4. Their mother is a grey tabby with no white on her, just grey with black stripes, their father is orange and white, his orange spots are tabby striped. The 4 kittens are: one solid orange male tabby (My Bailey), a mostly white female with a few orange spots that are tabby striped and her tail is orange and white striped, another orange and white female who looks just like her Dad (my Abby) and one female that looked like a calico when born but now she's 8 weeks old and she is spotted all over, however since she has gotten older her black spots have turned to grey/black tabby striped spots mixed with orange and white spots. So that is one orange male to three females in this litter. The mother's last litter had a grey tabby, a creamy orange tabby, a darker orange tabby and a black one, not sure what sex they turned out to be, they went to a foster home and were all adopted out.
Welcome to TCS...are there plans to have this cat fixed?? If this cat is not part of a pedigreed breeding program...it would be best for her to be spayed. I had a friend whose cat kept getting out and getting pregnant and she ended up having 5 litters before she was spayed...but if I had known then what I do now, I would have driven the mom to get spayed before she could end up with so many litters.

Katie

redhead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have been trying to trap her, but so far she is smarter than the traps, so are the two males that live here. I got some tips from one of the local feral rescue places I deal with and we are going to try again....

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was breeding my rexes, I never had a red female - all reds were males. But the only reason was the female tortie/calico was bred to black or blue. I had one breeding to a cream male but didn't get any red/cream females; only got a bluecream female.

So it was pretty easy to predict colors from a calico knowing what the male was - and easier to sex too as 99% of calicos would be female and the reds would be male - compared them to my black/blues to make sure which was male/female

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RedHead

We have been trying to trap her, but so far she is smarter than the traps, so are the two males that live here. I got some tips from one of the local feral rescue places I deal with and we are going to try again....
Let us know how it goes...also, if you post about it in the Caring for Ferals and Strays section...some of the trappers can help you with other ideas. Thank you for helping these cats.

Katie