Boyfriend thinks declawing is okay? :/

heyitsfae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One can always restore a chair, one can't undo declawing of the cat, quite easy to see which one is more reasonable option.

I think it would actually be good law that declawing would be allowed, if owner would be declawed same time too, cutting all fingers from 1st joint, then one would have freedom to choose.

Do your pet like you would like to be done to yourself, that is what I think.

I have to agree. One of my cats is declawed. I adopted him from the shelter that way and my heart constantly breaks for him. He doesn't get around as well as he should. He's only four years old and he really doesn't have any desire to run or play. He stays off his feet as much as possible. It's very obvious that his feet bother him. Even more sad is the fact that I believe that he still feels like he has claws (much like amputees who claim that they still feel a limb that they don't have). He'll try to use a scratching post or scratching box but has no need of one.

My other cat isn't declawed and I've definitely had to spend some extra money on numerous scratching posts, had to repair a couple of victim table legs and had my fair share of cat scratched but like JTbo said, you can replace furniture and a cat scratch will heal... cutting off a chunk of their paw is something that will never heal physically or emotionally.

wt1964

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is an anti-declaw website, just as an FYI.

From the Forum Rules:
4. This website is anti-declawing. Understand that if you are pro-declaw in your posts, you will encounter opposition. Please learn more about alternatives for declawing here in our forums as well as on our website itself. Declaw - More than Just a Manicure.
http://www.thecatsite.com/t/239112/forum-rules
I admit that I did not know that about this site, but I'm glad to hear it!

I have never had a cat declawed and I never will.  And I've got 16 years worth of scratches on my person, and on my furniture to prove it! 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I admit that I did not know that about this site, but I'm glad to hear it!

I have never had a cat declawed and I never will.  And I've got 16 years worth of scratches on my person, and on my furniture to prove it!  :rub:
Yeah, I consider scratches to be part of the package, we get whole package with living pet, all the good things and bad things, it is just something that should be accepted if going to get living creature under one's wing.

Even in human relationships it is not possible to cherry pick only good bits, you get whole package or nothing, same thing with pets.

With some work it is possible to to learn and teach ways of human and cat, pets can be trained and people can learn ways of pets, so that way bad points can be adjusted in humane way, but with alive beasts like cats, there will always be situations where things break, there will be scratches and it is part of life with them.

Sadly it is not always clear to people getting pets, there is some illusions, kind of mirages in mind based on how cute cat looks, too little true information is available from what is the whole package, or no understanding to seek that information, which is also thing that leads to false conclusions and false images of life, with cats one thing is declawing that is one of those results.

Humans have lot of history of making things as generally accepted norm, but then only after long time we learn how all that time we have been doing wrong things, that is what happen when doing things based on beliefs, it has been and still is common way, but it is good to know dangers in that way.

Doing the hard work and learning all the data around the subject is way that usually provides much better choices, hopefully humans will try that method more in coming decades, would be better for cats and humans, all life, imo.

joanncatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
cutepanda01,  Are you serious? Really? Or just pulling our legs?

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Before replying please remember that all TCS rules apply; even to subjects we feel very strongly about.  Chose your words wisely.  Also, as has been noted TCS has always been and will always be anti-declaw.  Our goal is to educate people. To quote rule #2:
There is always room for different opinions, however, intolerance, bigotry, and religious ridicule will not be tolerated. Additionally, there is no room for flames, slams, and personal vendettas that carry on to the public view.
If you see a problem with a post; please report it.  If a post upsets you please remember the old saying "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar."  Posts that violate the rules will be edited or deleted. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/239112/forum-rules

Carry on. 

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah:

I have to agree. One of my cats is declawed. I adopted him from the shelter that way and my heart constantly breaks for him. He doesn't get around as well as he should. He's only four years old and he really doesn't have any desire to run or play. He stays off his feet as much as possible. It's very obvious that his feet bother him. Even more sad is the fact that I believe that he still feels like he has claws (much like amputees who claim that they still feel a limb that they don't have). He'll try to use a scratching post or scratching box but has no need of one.

My other cat isn't declawed and I've definitely had to spend some extra money on numerous scratching posts, had to repair a couple of victim table legs and had my fair share of cat scratched but like JTbo said, you can replace furniture and a cat scratch will heal... cutting off a chunk of their paw is something that will never heal physically or emotionally.
Yeah.... I also have a declawed cat (also rescued already declawed, of course), and his problems are complicated to say the least. #1 he is aggressive. I mean aggressive. With humans - pretty much any human. He came from an abuse situation - he bites - common problem with declawed kitties..... And #2, he marks the house - he pees outside of the box.
Now I do not know if the abuse started because of the biting or because of the inappropriate peeing..... Apparently he was hit, and hit hard - he is terrified of humans, and that is the major reason for his aggression. With me he is a sweetheart now...... But I have a few war-wounds to show for, and he did attack me recently.
I also do not know which of the two is the reason for his abandonment - yep, after the abuse he was tossed declawed on the streets :bawling:

So, my little Mac is a true, living testimony of what REALLY can go wrong when you declaw a cat.

Luckily for him, a wonderful rescue took him from the death chamber - and worked REALLY HARD to rehab him before I took him in. And Luckily for him, I am taking him as is, for life, peeing, biting and all. It is not many who can do that.

So Cutepanda01, before even dreaming of doing such a thing to your cat, think LONG and HARD of the consequences - because they are very very real. And sometimes they can mean a dead cat in the end, one way or another. Mac was really really lucky - he ditched death by a centimeter.

Last edited: