Bottlefeeding Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are they still eating well?
All of them have had 0.5mL of milk this feeding. The gray one seems to have gotten more vocal and the orange one has began moving after the feeding at a normal way. I was worried about the tabby, because he was barely moving, but now he is crawling over his siblings so i think so much milk is helping them. Last feeding they would barely eat and only got about 0.3mL. Im trying to force them to drink at least 0.5mL every feeding and work my eay up to 1mL, then so on. But they all seemed to stop swallowing before and I didnt want to force it too much if they wouldnt even swallow.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We really need to know weights as soon as possible. I am still concerned they may not be getting enough. How often are you feeding?

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We really need to know weights as soon as possible. I am still concerned they may not be getting enough. How often are you feeding?
I feed them every two hours at night and about every hour and a half during the day so i can try to make them eat more and more often. Ill try to get a scale tonight, its been raining so i held off on going out

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed them every two hours at night and about every hour and a half during the day so i can try to make them eat more and more often. Ill try to get a scale tonight, its been raining so i held off on going out
Make sure you get one that measures small weights, ounces etc.!
Postage scales work nicely!

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about the little torti. Rip baby girl. It's hard, but it happens, and you everything you could. Just keep doing the same for her siblings now.
My first time bottle feeding was rough, I wasn't prepared or expecting it as I got them with their mother, but she didn't want anything to do with them.
I came up with a routine, feed, burp, stimulate, switch kittens and repeat. I'd go through with it three times for each kitten or until I believed they'd eaten enough. It takes a lot of patience and getting up every couple hours takes a lot out of you. But you're doing great. You're an absolutely wonderful and amazing person, thank you for helping these little cats and doing everything you can for them.

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got all kittens to drink 1mL at the very least :) the orange kitty seems to be a lot more open to drinking and suckling and is doing very well taking milk so im going to try to get him up to 2mL every time. I'm going to try more with the other two as well, its just scary since they seem not to swallow after a few gulps of milk and im afraid theyll breathe it in! I couldn't get a scale tonight because of a lack of car (my boyfriend left with it) so tomorrow ill try getting one to weigh them. After this feeding and getting them all to 1mL they all have really big bellies and seem a lot more wiggly and talkative.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent! :)

You can try doing a couple of rounds to get more in them. As in feed #1, then 2, then 3; then return to 1, then 2, and 3.

It gives each a few minutes to rest in between.

As they grow, they’ll drink more and can eat every 3 hours, then every 4 hours. The time between feedings correlates to their age in weeks.

You’ll be a pro! :)

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The orange kitten somehow managed to get himself between the towel with the heating pad and the box, just enough layers where the heating pad wasnt warming him at all. When i picked him up he was cold. Ive been trying to warm him back up but hes barely moving and seems limp

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am raising my second stray kitten and I am glad I did not have to bottle feed them...Good with this wish you all the best...Oh and the kittens as well...

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The orange kitten is warmed up, but hes not moving the same as before. He seems to be stuck on his side, like he cant seem to lift his head or turn over to move around. Hes stuck just paddling the air.

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The tabby cat is now doing the exact same thing. Im not sure what it is. It seems like its something they can't control and theyre stuck

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tabby just died...

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Orange kitten just died. He threw up something yellow up and then it came out his nose. Im going to take all towels out and throw them away i guess. Gray is only one alive.

Last edited:

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rip
I’m sorry, hopefully the grey one will thrive, but sometimes whole litters don’t make it and there isn’t anything you could do. Hang in there.
Yellow liquid bile is usually caused by an empty stomach.
How does the grey kittens gums look? Are they pale? Is this kitty responsive and moving normally still?
Vet said the litter looked good? Did they look for any signs of infections or parasytes?

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rip
I’m sorry, hopefully the grey one will thrive, but sometimes whole litters don’t make it and there isn’t anything you could do. Hang in there.
Yellow liquid bile is usually caused by an empty stomach.
How does the grey kittens gums look? Are they pale? Is this kitty responsive and moving normally still?
Vet said the litter looked good? Did they look for any signs of infections or parasytes?
he had just ate, although it hadnt been much so i suppose that makes sense. I cant really tell if theyre gray or not but theyre not very red or pink either so i suppose more on the gray side. So far shes been moving and acting fine. The vet said the litter looked great, and everyone sounded good. He didnt look for parasites or anything, i think he was more focused on my questions about bottlefeeding and making sure he knew everything going on with the first sickly kitten. But he had said it seemed like a brain problem.

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
20180707_114136.jpg
this is as good a picture as i can get. They look pale to me.

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My scale said she weighs 8oz or around 200grams i think?? (Im not sure about the grams).

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to get her to drink every 30 minutes to an hour. So far no signs of similar symptoms as the others and she seems to be doing the same as she always has since i got her. Im praying this extra meal time will give her the strength to survive.