Bottlefeeding Kittens

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's that time of year again, as everyone knows. I've taken in four 5 day old kittens. Ive bottlefed before, but they were all a bit older than these (2-3 weeks). Does anyone have any advice for these tiny babies and what I need to do with them? I'll post pictures too!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here is a wonderful informative link for syringe feeding kittens from Kitten Lady:

Syringe Feeding

Use powdered formula as she suggests, and weigh the kittens daily.

If you have further questions after watching, please ask!

Thank you for fostering! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a wonderful informative link for syringe feeding kittens from Kitten Lady:

Syringe Feeding

Use powdered formula as she suggests, and weigh the kittens daily.

If you have further questions after watching, please ask!

Thank you for fostering! :)
Thank you!!! This helps tons!! So far im not sure if im feeding them 2 mL like it says to. But their bellies seem full??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you weighed the kittens yet? This is the best way to gauge if they are getting enough.

How often are you feeding?

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you weighed the kittens yet? This is the best way to gauge if they are getting enough.

How often are you feeding?
I haven't, im not sure i have anything to weigh them with. I got them today, the people could no longer take care of them because the mom died. So they were bottlefeeding every two hours, and said they would drink about 2mL and some just 1. I feed them every 2 hours as well, but in my 2mL syringe each one is only drinking maybe half a mL.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmm. 1/2 mL every 2 hours does not seem like enough.

Are you stimulating them to pee and poop after each feeding?

You can buy a digital kitchen scale that weighs in grams at Walmart. Each kitten should gain 6-10 grams per day.

Also, you may want to ask for a 1mL syringe at a pharmacy.

If they were bottle feeding, they may do better with a bottle with a nipple. Walmart has these too.

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm. 1/2 mL every 2 hours does not seem like enough.

Are you stimulating them to pee and poop after each feeding?

You can buy a digital kitchen scale that weighs in grams at Walmart. Each kitten should gain 6-10 grams per day.

Also, you may want to ask for a 1mL syringe at a pharmacy.

If they were bottle feeding, they may do better with a bottle with a nipple. Walmart has these too.
I havent because theyve seemed to be going on their own, but ill try to do it to see if it helps. Okay, ill try to buy one tomorrow and get some syringes. Ive tried with the bottle as well but they dont seem to take it

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They definitely need stimulating after each feeding, and wiping down to keep them clean.

If they are wiggling during feedings try burrito wrapping them so only their heads are out.

They need at least 1 mL each every 2 hours. This is through the night too.

Hand-raising kittens this young is a lot of work and very tiring. Do you have any help?

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They definitely need stimulating after each feeding, and wiping down to keep them clean.

If they are wiggling during feedings try burrito wrapping them so only their heads are out.

They need at least 1 mL each every 2 hours. This is through the night too.

Hand-raising kittens this young is a lot of work and very tiring. Do you have any help?
Okay ill definitely do that.

Yes i wrap them all in burritos lol

No its just me but im home 24/7, i just didnt know if theyre not eating as much as they should since theyre bellies are full but they dont seem to be eating as much as they should

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You only rub them for a few seconds at a time. They may not poop after every meal, especially if they are not getting enough nourishment.

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You only rub them for a few seconds at a time. They may not poop after every meal, especially if they are not getting enough nourishment.
Okay. Theyve pooped for sure because I cleaned it from their blanket.

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heres their feeding notes from just now
Orange - 0.5mL
Torti - 0.4mL
Gray - 0.3mL
Tabs - 0.1mL
I made them go potty (all just pee so far) and im going to warm up a bit more milk and try to at least get everyone to 1mL!! Hopefully. The torti seems to sleep a lot more and doesnt wiggle as much as the others, but shes eating better than the others and still moves and meows and responds, just isnt as moving. Should i worry?

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What pretty kittens! You're going to have your hands full with these kittens.
They should pee after every feeding, but might only poop once or twice day.
They're still really young so they'll spend most of their time sleeping, so I wouldn't worry too much as long as she remains responsive. Watch out for any signs of illness like sneezing or discharge, fleas ect. Keep them warm, newborns aren't good at regulating their body heat so it's up to you to keep them comfortable.
When I started I got two six day old kittens, the shelter gave me a pamphlet on orphan kittens by the kitten lady. It's definitely worth it to read through her tips and watch some of her videos.
Home

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What pretty kittens! You're going to have your hands full with these kittens.
They should pee after every feeding, but might only poop once or twice day.
They're still really young so they'll spend most of their time sleeping, so I wouldn't worry too much as long as she remains responsive. Watch out for any signs of illness like sneezing or discharge, fleas ect. Keep them warm, newborns aren't good at regulating their body heat so it's up to you to keep them comfortable.
When I started I got two six day old kittens, the shelter gave me a pamphlet on orphan kittens by the kitten lady. It's definitely worth it to read through her tips and watch some of her videos.
Home
I have a heating pad bundled up in a few towels for them, they love snuggling up to it and it doesnt get too hot even without towels, but i keep the towels to be sure it doesnt burn them. And they have room to move away from it if it gets too hot for them. I've bottlefed some before but never this young, i just worry im doing something wrong with them especially since they arent eating much!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens sleep loads, and each has its own personality, so I would not worry.

Knowing weights as soon as possible will help to establish minimum feeding levels.

They should ideally be eating a minimum of 1mL each every 2 hours, and likely more like 2-3. Hopefully, the more you feed them the more they will grow accustomed to it and will eat more and more.

Never force it though, as you do not want them to inhale formula into their lungs and get pneumonia. That is a death sentence.