Bottle fed kitten

shelbynkatie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I just wanted to chime in and say what a wonderful kitty Mama you are!! Also I had the same problem with my rescue baby too with the liquid poo,also started with the kitten chow, after vet trip I learned that a lot of babies do great on it, but some are too sensitive to it and get upsets, I then upgraded to the Purina ONE kitten and no more runs.Just a thought, but do the switch over a couple of days. Also anything fish flavored can give upsets too,stick with turkey or chicken.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamashi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He started when I instantly switched him to a new formula. We are taking him in soon, I made the appointment. But, They were solid till I unknowingly did the transition to it wrong. I didn't even think when I bought the different formula. He's almost weaned off of it, I will also get him a new brand of food.

shelbynkatie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good to hear you have an appointment, and that you can pinpoint it to the time of new formula change.Thank fully I was able to get goat's milk form my neighbor instead of formula.In the meantime you can try a small spoon of canned pumpkin ( not pie filling) in a little can food.Hope this helps!!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your finances allow it, I would very highly recommend getting a bag of Babycat, the one that says mother and baby on it, not the one that says kitten.

This will help straighten his system out nicely, and is excellent food for a newly weaned kitten!!

Anytime a very young kitten is put on antibiotics they will need a probiotic to get them back in balance, the yogurt may have already done this too.

For any cat, kitten or adult, a sudden change in diet will upset them, and it takes up to a week to get things right again, can you say which formula you were giving and what you switched to?

tamashi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't recall the first one I purchased. They sell it at petsmart. The second one is milk replacer plus. He is back to normal poops. His vet appt is for tomorrow. We are getting him wormed and just an all around check up. He's becoming more and more of a handful and very aggressive with my hands. We've tried hissing, redirection, kitty time out,boops like a mother cat would.. none seem to work. The hissing works with my bf, however not me. IDK if he sees me differently because I bottle fed him 99% of the time. He's also whining if he hears us in another room till we come in. Would a vet be able to give me insight on how to tame his behaviors?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet aren't behaviorists, although sometimes you find one that really understands cats. So go ahead and ask, but if the advice seems sketchy, don't feel like you have to take their advice just because they have a medical degree ;). If you can find a cat-specific behaviorist, that would be terrific, although there aren't very many of them. Try contacting a rescue; they may know someone who can help.

One that that usually helps is getting a stuffed animal about his size (it might be good to have several, so one is always nearby), and shove that at him whenever he goes for you. That way he learns that his stuffie is the most acceptable wrestling partner. If he still goes for you, calmly put him in another room for a minute or so, or leave the room he's in. So that he learns that you go away if he gets too rough.

tamashi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His appt is at the vet inside petsmart. So while we are there we will get him some stuffed animals. I will let you guys know how his appt goes!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bottom line, do not allow him to play with your hands or feet. They are strictly off-limits. If he starts, you then and there reach down and scruff him, and hiss in his face, and walk away. He'll get it.

He'll also outgrow it eventually. In the meantime, engage him with stick toys he can chase until he is tired. Works like a charm!

tamashi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We will be getting him a lot of toys when we are there. At six weeks is he okay to roam freely all the time? He's out more often than not. Bed time we is in his box till morning. He's also in there when we go to work, because I don't know if he's okay to be out while we are gone.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Free roaming at six weeks is okay if you can supervise him. Otherwise, he needs to be closed in one, kitten-proofed room. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

tamashi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got home from the vet. He had abnormal bacteria in his tummy. We got medicine and special gi food for him.

tamashi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They said he had an over production of cocci

shelbynkatie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Eeww...coccidia, I've dealt with it in chickens, it's a nasty little bug.Good job keeping up with the vet check ups!!Not sure what meds you were given albon is common newer is Marquis (sp?) Anyways make sure you keep everything sanitary and low stress as that's what I learned causes outbreaks.feeding a little yogurt helps restore the good gut bacteria thus a speedy recovery. Not sure about cats, but if you have other animals add 2 Tbs organic apple cider vinegar per gallon of drinking water. Good luck with the fur ball!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T tamashi

Coccidia can be very nasty. What meds were you given? Albon takes a long time to work, and only inhibits growth. Ponazuril actually kills the coccidia.

tamashi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's digestive care from prescription diet.

tamashi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It starts with an m. I'm not too sure. It has to be refrigerated. We give it twice a day with food for ten days.