Blood in Stools

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree, it should be all right to wait, so long as the symptoms are mild. But I would start adding fiber to the diet now... my feeling is that it's better to keep the irritation down. Is there really no pumpkin or squash anywhere? Maybe a specialty food store?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I'm going to a Farmers market on Sunday that might have some. They're not in season here though so it's not very easy to find, and I've never once seen pumpkin or squash tinned here. I'll try to find something similar today.

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave my vets a call this morning as I started worrying a bit (I thought the worrying may kick in at some point.
) and they told me to bring them in ASAP as it can get bad very quickly. They had no appointments for today so I'm taking them in tomorrow morning at 9:30, and I'm worried now!
I hope it is easily treatable. The person I spoke to at the vets also said that they can't have their second lot of worming tablets until it settles down because it will hurt them too much.
My poor babies! She made me worry more as she made it sound so urgent.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad that they're going in. Even if it is worms, there are different types (and you often can't see them in the stool), so only a vet can figure out which and give the right worming medication.

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well strangely enough, when I spoke to the nurse when I was asking if I should bring them in before Wednesday (they already had an appointment on Wednesday) I did ask about worms and whether colitis can be caused by worms and she said it couldn't be, and if they do have colitis they won't worm them because it will irritate their stomachs more.

This will be their first appointment that we've taken them to and the vet has been highly recommended from a few people, including the Cats Protection that we got them from, they take their cats there if a second opinion is ever needed.

I'll update this with what they say once we get back tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed please.

katteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right, just got back from the vets, we've found out it's just Oscar who has this problem and the vet said that it does seem like he has colitis, and most likely caused by worms. He's given him some worming paste and we're to go back if it doesn't clear up soon so that he can get some antibiotics.