Blood in stool

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
So do I

I am making mistakes at work this afternoon because this is bothering me so much. It just brought it home how long this has gone on when the new vet said she would have done tests before now.
I feel like I've let them down

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You haven't, you are a great 'Mum' to them, It's not your fault the vet was naff, it's happened to lots of us, thats probably why there are so many post sugesting getting a second opinion

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't blame yourself.

We all know how hard you have been trying to get to the bottom of their problem.

When is your apt. with the new vet?
I think you are very wise to make this change.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pombina

Thats it, we've registered with a new vet and Ive cancelled my appointment!!
I just called and asked what they would do with 2 cats who had diarhhea for 2 weeks and she said they would have asked for a sample the first time we called!
She was so helpful and I feel so much relief that someone has actually taken an interest! I wish Id never wasted so much time with the other surgery!!!!!
I'm so glad you found a place that sounds just wonderful! And I sure hope they figure out what the problem is and fast. I've still got your babies in my thoughts and prayers.

Laurie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So do I

I am making mistakes at work this afternoon because this is bothering me so much. It just brought it home how long this has gone on when the new vet said she would have done tests before now.
I feel like I've let them down
You're not a trained vet - and you can't be held responsible for the incompetencies of your other vet! Once you realized there was a problem there, you did something about it. So don't blame yourself - you followed vet advice, and when it didn't work, you went out and got a new vet!

Laurie

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thats it, we've registered with a new vet and Ive cancelled my appointment!!
I just called and asked what they would do with 2 cats who had diarhhea for 2 weeks and she said they would have asked for a sample the first time we called!
She was so helpful and I feel so much relief that someone has actually taken an interest! I wish Id never wasted so much time with the other surgery!!!!!
I hope this vet visit goes much better than the ones with the old vet!!!

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone, you support means everything to me

Our appointment is at 2.20pm tomorrow. Mark has the whole day off as he has the dentist in the morning and wanted to come to the vet with us in the afternoon. I have to go to work in the morning but will leave at lunch. I am so happy now, I just captured one of Sleeves's poo!

The vet asked that I identify whos poop was whos when I brought it in. All I need is Nismo to go so I can catch her in the act

I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders because we are going to get somewhere with this now.
I tried most of the suggestions you all gave, and nothing, so a new vet really is the answer.
Thankyou all so much, I'll keep you updated

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you found a vet that sounds competent. Hopefully your kitties will be on their way to being well now!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be sure to keep the poo refrigerated until appointment time.
You are doing great.

Poo vibes are on the way.

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, I didnt know about keeping it refridgerated! I did consider it but then thought it may 'denature' the poo? I really should have come on here to check

Will it still be ok?
I got a poop out the litter tray this morning which I am assuming belongs to miss Nismo. I have asked Mark to wash out the litter and put new stuff in because Nismo likes to go straight after that usually, so that way we can be sure we have one of hers.
Only a few hours to go

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so pleased to hear that Sleeves' and Nismo's poo is now in captivity ready for the vets
It certainly sounds like your new vet will be an improvement and your sweet babies will be on their way to getting better very soon

I'll send many }}}VIBES{{{ for you all this afternoon

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call and ask the vet about the poop not be refrigerated. In the lab I work at, we can't accept feces that hasn't been refrigerated. But it could be different in your case.

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok we are home

Our new vet is just fantastic
I have such a smile on my face because he treated my babies with such warmth and was cuddling them and let Nismo climb onto his shoulder.
Basically he is mystified at what could be causing this, since they have no access to outdoors, we don't have plants, we havent been ill etc etc etc
He checked out Sleeves's sample and offered to send it away but he said he would rather put them both on a longer course of antibiotics if that was ok with us.
So we are on 200mg of Metronidozole twice a day. He showed us how to pill and made sure we knew what we were doing. We've got a 'piller' just incase we struggle, and he advised us to syringe a drop of water down afterwards to make sure it goes right down.
He's given them both their first dose, so we'll see how we get on this evening

So Im afraid its no alcohol and wild parties for Sleeves and Nismo for the next 10 days

He gave us his name and said he would like to see them before or just after the 10 days are up. If things have not improved we will send the poop off for tests like salmonella, ecoli, etc etc but he does not think its any of those things as they are not vomiting and they look to be in excellent health!
So for now we've done what we can. We know there is nothing more we can try at home so we are probably going to start giving them a bit of wet food gradually again as they really love their mealtimes.
Thankyou for your continued vibes, they mean so much. Ill keep you updated on how the pills go down! (or not
)

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just going to post to see how things went!

It certainly sounds like you've found your new vet!
So much better when you can see the same person on each visit!

I'm so pleased that it's nothing too much to be concerned about and I'm sure after the extended course of antibiotics, Sleeves and Nismo will be back to their usual selves in no time!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I do like that he recommended a follow up consult. That way you don't have to guess at what might be too long or not long enough. I really hope your little ones get better.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your new vet sounds really nice
Hope all goes well.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You new vet sounds much better than the last one...

Keep us updated.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad you found a wonderful vet! And I have to say - it IS vexing! Poor babies - but isn't it nice to have confidence in their care?

I hope the antibiotics do the trick.

Laurie