Blizzard

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Woke up to heavy wet snow, forecast is 12" with 45 mph winds. The temp is 33F which is fine with me. However, not only is driving hazardous but they're reporting downed power lines, utility outages, over 1,000 cancellations @ airport, some trains halted due to problems and thankfully school closures. Here's a morning pic out my window. ❄
IMG_2229.jpeg

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nearby tornado that killed one man, I injured four and did extensive property damage. Unfortunately, no snow. Maybe Tuesday, but we have only had one blizzard since I've lived here.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woke up to heavy wet snow, forecast is 12" with 45 mph winds. The temp is 33F which is fine with me. However, not only is driving hazardous but they're reporting downed power lines, utility outages, over 700 cancellations @ airport, some trains halted due to problems and thankfully school closures. Here's a morning pic out my window. ❄
View attachment 467817
Idk about your suburb, but I just got a message from the garbage app they're canceling service today, too. And my vet is closed.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to be brave enough to bundle everyone up and let them explore the snow in the backyard later.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ours is supposed to be 3-5” with high winds but it looks like snow then rain then snow above freezing temps but then all sat into next week its below freezing which is scary only because I have a infant now and never dressed her in the winter for extreme cold yet 😭
Layers. And staying home as much as possible. We had back to back blizzards when DD was 4 weeks old. I was pumping and supplementing but we lost power and I didn’t have a manual or battery option. Or water because we live on a county road. DD handled it best of all. She was swaddled and cozy in her little seat if we weren’t holding her. Then we got evacuated to my mother’s because she had power and her boss was high enough in his government position to be allowed out to drive nurses to the veterans home and he got us. And the cats. I do not care to repeat that experience; but its a story to tell my kids. :rolleyes2: And why we invested in a wood stove a few years later!
Idk about your suburb, but I just got a message from the garbage app they're canceling service today, too. And my vet is closed.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to be brave enough to bundle everyone up and let them explore the snow in the backyard later.
The after-snow-play naps were always divine in my house. ;);)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah fun for snow mobilers and skiers

Not fun for those who have to shovel a rain and snow mix with a sore back. We had thunder during the snowstorm earlier a phenomina rarly seen here. A cold snap is to follow. Hidden black ice.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Theres a warning in effect now expect up to 20cm of snow. Get your generators set up and test them.
We have a good blanket waking up this morning, and they're saying up to 30 cm in our area today. We don't have generators...:( The good news, it's fine powdery snow...not the heavy wet stuff.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The heavy wet snow froze overnight, I knew it would so our garbage/recycling bins are permanently frozen to the ground. Oh well, they should thaw by April. :lol: The forecast for Sunday through Tuesday is bitter cold temps with -1F as the high and -30 to -35F with the windchill.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The heavy wet snow froze overnight, I knew it would so our garbage/recycling bins are permanently frozen to the ground. Oh well, they should thaw by April. :lol: The forecast for Sunday through Tuesday is bitter cold temps with -1F as the high and -30 to -35F with the windchill.
At least the bins won't blow away! Our wind chills are forecast -20. -35 is beyond my limit. Stay warm!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah fun for snow mobilers and skiers

Not fun for those who have to shovel a rain and snow mix with a sore back. We had thunder during the snowstorm earlier a phenomina rarly seen here. A cold snap is to follow. Hidden black ice.
When we bought the house, my husband almost immediately invested in a snowblower. It's been worth its weight in gold.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Its been non stop plows since last night. I've heard at least three within the past 12 hours or so not counting when i was sleeping. 2 brown outs and probably more to come.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I set up and tested the generator yesterday before the storm it started after 4 tries with the remote.

If you get one make sure it has a remote. Much easier than yanking on the cord and breaking your arm.