Blackberry or Iphone???

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My contract is up for renewal at the beginning of December, and i can get either a Blackberry or an Iphone for free if i stay with T-Mobile, and still pay the same monthly plan as what i'm paying now

I'll have further discussions before i renew because i work with someone who gets 600 minutes free talk time, unlimited texts, and unlimited internet with another provider, where as T-Mobile have offered 600 minutes talk time and 500 texts and unlimited internet, and i use more than 500 texts a month

I've heard a few reviews on both so i thought i would get some feedback here

One of the good things they say about the Blackberry is that the internet is faster and the battery last longer unlike the Iphone.

So come on, lets hear your thoughts

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Blaine has had both, bad batteries on both, he had loads of problems so got the iphone 3 he loves it i prefer the iphone to his blackberry

they reakon the new samsung is one of the best out at the moment my bro has one and its great its like the iphone

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Are you one of those people who like to text "blindly"? One thing to consider is how easy or difficult it is to text with the respective phones. A couple of my students have given up their iPhones (or carry a second cell phone) because they say it's very hard, if not impossible, to do that with them.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who ever told you the BB web is faster is a big fat fibber. A big problem I had with my BB was that you never got a full webpage..not even a full mobile one. It was not very user friendly. I currently have an Android OS phone, the phone itself sucks big time but the software is AMAZING! I love browsing the web on my phone now. If you have the option of going to an Android OS phone thru T Mobile I would do that instead of either of those. Also shop around at different retailers, while T Mobile may be giving you a deal there are plenty of other providers who will be able to give you more than likely a better deal. I personally love Verizon but definately NOT for their prices, they are costly. But their service is unbeatable in my area.

AT&T is expensive but if you are going for a web phone, from what Ive heard their new tiered pricing for web service is very bad and doesnt quite make any sense.

One thing too about the BB is to clear all the running programs off your phone youve got to pop your battery off and its best to do it atleast once a day because you cant download an app killer to take off all those running programs. It does help save on your battery because if you have 10 programs running that you arent even using its going to take away from your battery and also the speed of the phone itself. From what Ive heard about the IPhone is that its not designed to run more than one program at a time which is a good thing but what if you are in the middle of looking up something important online, or sending an important email and you get a phone call or text and reply to it...youve lost all that work you just did.

Find out exactly which model of the BB you are looking for and read the reviews online. I forget the name of the one website but they generally have really good tech reviews from their people checking out the phones but also from the everyday user. Those may help you make a decision along with doing some shopping around at different providers, you dont want to get stuck with a junk phone and less than stellar plan when someone else could offer you better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Are you one of those people who like to text "blindly"? One thing to consider is how easy or difficult it is to text with the respective phones. A couple of my students have given up their iPhones (or carry a second cell phone) because they say it's very hard, if not impossible, to do that with them.
See, that's what puts me off the Iphone because i hate the touch screen. My friends daughter who is much faster than me at texting hates it for exactly the same reason, so that's a plus for the Blackberry.

I've just been told that T-Mobile will match what other providers are offering because after 10 years they said they want to keep me, awwwwwww

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get an iphone with T- mobile???
Here in the US you can only get an iphone with AT&T

Well, unless you jailbreak it, which means you can't get apple updates anymore. For some people it's worth it.
It sucks though!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

One thing too about the BB is to clear all the running programs off your phone youve got to pop your battery off and its best to do it atleast once a day because you cant download an app killer to take off all those running programs. It does help save on your battery because if you have 10 programs running that you arent even using its going to take away from your battery and also the speed of the phone itself.
When you say the programs, i'm taking it's like a pc with icons that you never use?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

You can get an iphone with T- mobile???
Here in the US you can only get an iphone with AT&T
I've been with them for 10 years so i think that may have something to do with it, because every year when i renew i always qualify for a better phone.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well thats good they will match prices with competitors. So find the one with the unlimited texting (probably Sprint or Verizon) and tell them to match that..Those texting overages are killer. If I didnt have unlimited texting Id be dead from my cell bill. We only use about 200 minutes out of our 700 but texting..EEK I have almost 2000 and its only halfway thru our billing cycle. My web usage is crazy too because I use my phone for everything but watching tv shows. Im still waiting for my update to watch my shows on my phone.

Ask your T Mobile rep if they have Android OS phones. I think that you will find a Droid a bit more user friendly than BB or the IPhone they do have ones that arent just touch screen. I think Samsung has some really great phones out that are Android OS. Also go into the store and play with each phone and figure out which one suits you better.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

When you say the programs, i'm taking it's like a pc with icons that you never use?
Basically its the same thing. Its called bloatware. Its when the cell provider add apps to the phone like Twitter, FB, MySpace, etc. The problem with those is that if you dont use them you can not remove them from the phone and sometimes they will pop up running when you never ever use them.

I currently have this problem with my phone and while any web phone you get is going to kill your battery an app killer (I have one on my phone [Advanced Task Killer]) will go thru and stop them from running which ends up saving your battery.

Im having huge issues with my phone and I have Verizon while I love the service I HATE the customer service when you have to call because noone knows what your talking about and 10 people tell you 20 different things. So my phone is having some huge issues right now especially since I got a new software update that was supposed to fix problems but instead ended up making it worse. From what I hear its only the LG Ally that is having these problems and then update we are all waiting for that will fix all the problems still isnt being run out to us. All the other phones that were listed to get the update already got it back in the beginning of Sept and we still dont have a release date. I personally am looking to replace my phone as soon as possible because its my life line I use it for everything. BF is having problems too but he doesnt use his phone like I do so he can wait till July to upgrade (Ill use the December one lol)

I cant stress enough to make sure you do a lot of research on the phones you are looking to get. You dont want to get something because its pretty and the salesperson says its great. Nothing against the sales reps but half the time they dont know what they are talking about they just have a sales pitch they have to say and thats that but when it come to knowing about the phones they dont know too much. If you go on T Mobiles website they should have a phone listing to show whats available so if you find ones that peak your interest google them to find reviews and complaints.

Im a phone nut so I am constantly trying to find out whats what and what is wrong with them and how to fix them. Youll never find the perfect phone that never gives you any problems...but if you do your research youll find a phone that is perfect for you and what you want to use it for....Just stay away from the BB Curve...IMO those ones are evil LOL. I have heard good things about the BB Tour, and Storm 2 (not the original Storm it had a lot of bugs)

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Just stay away from the BB Curve...IMO those ones are evil LOL
Nooooo don't say that because that's the one i'm wanting

I've been reading reviews on it and it's getting 80%, and the Iphone is getting 90%, but the touch screen to text bothers me with the Iphone

I must say though, the service with T-Mobile here i can't fault it

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Blackberry Curve and I hate it. The internet loading is slow, I can never get a full webpage, not many websites will even load on it. I've gone through FOUR Blackberry's in the past 7 months becuase they all keep breaking, not loading correctly, I can never get my e-mail on it anymore and the battery life for me is about 3 hours and then it's completely dead & I need to re-charge.

If I were you, I'd go w/ the Iphone! Blackerry's are the devil

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I have a Blackberry Curve and I hate it. The internet loading is slow, I can never get a full webpage, not many websites will even load on it. I've gone through FOUR Blackberry's in the past 7 months becuase they all keep breaking, not loading correctly, I can never get my e-mail on it anymore and the battery life for me is about 3 hours and then it's completely dead & I need to re-charge.

If I were you, I'd go w/ the Iphone! Blackerry's are the devil
Amen to that babyharley!

When you upgrade if you switch to android os...trust me you'll fall in love. I went from bb to droid and its a totally diff experiance. On my bb I couldn't reply to anything in tcs....I'm replying now off my phone. Lmao. I personally love the droid software its awesome...now if verizon would stop adding stupid bloatware and messing up my phone id be super happy.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've just had one of the guys in the office let me see how easy it is to text on his Iphone and it didn't look that bad?!.

Whats the Droid? Sarah, one of the Mods mentioned it on my facebook as well?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Amen to that babyharley!

When you upgrade if you switch to android os...trust me you'll fall in love. I went from bb to droid and its a totally diff experiance. On my bb I couldn't reply to anything in tcs....I'm replying now off my phone. Lmao. I personally love the droid software its awesome...now if verizon would stop adding stupid bloatware and messing up my phone id be super happy.
I really want to get the Samsung Fascinate which is a Droid - but I just missed the buy 1 get 1 free promotion and now they are about $200 a piece! I can't justify spending $400 on two phones, so we're stuck w/ our crappy phones until another promotion comes around

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got a touch scren phone and I love it, I couldn't use a normal phone I don't think now. My dad has an android phone which I think they are better than the i phones and I would love one. My friend has a blackerry and its lovely but I don't think I would get used to using a keyboard on it. They are more of a business phone I think. If I were you I would go for the iphone, honestly the touch screen is so easy when you get used to it, even my grandad has a touch screen phone and he struggles with a keypad phone but he finds this easy
Also its great because you don't get any bits between the keys and they don't end up sticking.Good luck with your choice.xx

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Droid is a type of software also the name of some of the phones. Like the Motorola Droid, Droid 2, Droid X (those are through Verizon) Android OS is the operating system and its powered by Google. Personally out of all the web phones out there its by far the most user friendly. I love it.

BB uses RIM and honestly with all the new updates available to phones for web usage, RIM is stuck in the dinosaur age. Its pretty bad.

Im not sure about IPhones but Im pretty sure its Mac. Im am not Mac friendly so that phone automatically is out for me.

There are also Windows based phones but from what Ive heard they are NOT regular user friendly the target market for them is business people who need their phones for business related work like using Power Point, Excel etc.

As updates keep coming with cell phones and them slowly becoming more and more advanced in technology it does seem better to go with what is going to keep updating as the technology is available. Blackberry and RIM just arent cutting it anymore. Google and Android are constantly making advances and coming up with more and more updates to make their phones more usable, more user friendly and also updates that allow you to do so much more with your phones. Currently Im waiting for the 2.2 update or Froyo this update will allow my to download Flash Player (currently unavailable) which then will allow me to access more websites that play tv shows, movies etc. Like I would be able to go onto Bravos website and watch Housewives, or Top Chef because their video player is Flash.

babyharley- Im fighting with Verizon now about my Ally. All I want them to do is take away the 2 upgrades that we have coming and allow us to extend our contract and get new phones. They worked fine till the update that came out 1 day after our 30 days expired. So that has me livid. Both BF and I are looking to go with either the Droid X or Incredible but also the Fascinate because we need phones that work and have good camaras and I need the web to work. Right now our phones are literally blobs. My web is slower than dial up sometimes or just doesnt want to work. My Kindle app went to fudge even after being uninstalled and reinstalled about 4 times. Sometimes my phone wont ring at all or texts wont come thru. Yesterday it took me 2 hours to get 6 messages from BF because the phones just went funny he wasnt recieving my texts either and we were both mad at each other because of it. Its hard to get Verizon to cooperate with us. They are not acknowledging that their update messed up the phones and they arent allowing us to do anything so basically I told them that if I have to replace my phone 5 times to get a different model that is what Ill do but Im not paying for it when it was their mistake and they messed up the phone. I have had a Verizon cell phone since I was 16 and this is by far the worst update Ive gotten ever. The darn thing worked great till they passed out that stupid update and now almost every Ally user Ive talked to is having nothing but massive problems with their phones.

malakai711

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a Blackberry Pearl Flip and I
it!! I don't like the touch screen texting on the iPhone at all! and I text A LOT! I'd rather text than talk...

Also, the battery on any touch screen is going to die faster simply because it's touch screen... when I had my palm it would die in 3 hours even after being fully charged...

I actually really want the Blackberry Torch despite the fact that it's a touch screen but it's only available for AT&T

Good luck with your decision Rosie... Go TMO!! LOL (I'm actually sad because I'm going to be switching to Verizon in March)