Black spots on chin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If her chin is bad enough to be bleeding, I'd see the vet about it. Phoebe has chronic acne (blackheads that get a bit crusty and can get inflamed, never bled though) and I get Chlorhexidine wipes from my vet for her. She's not too fussed about having her chin cleaned, so I don't know how easy that would be for you to use on Lucy.
Do the wipes seem to help? I’d like her vet to take a look at her chin but she gets so stressed going to the vet and has to take calming medication because she doesn’t like to be touched. Maybe it would be worth it though.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My guy occasionally gets acne like this.. I did take him to the vet for chlorahexadine wipes. I think you can buy some on Amazon.. but I am not certain if it is the same dose as the Vet prescribes.

Geoffrey is a very anxious cat. We use a metal bowl for water and ceramic for wet food, with a metal bowl for dry food. All his bowls are washed daily, with hot water and Dawn. The leftover kibble is dumped.

If I remember correctly, Becue he gets a lot of liquid meds, I threw out his water syringe and pill popper, and got new ones. This was the only plastic which came into contact with his skin---- except for the plastic he finds and eats!!

Seriously, I would take your sweetie into the Vets, even if he gets so frightened. It is good to have documented and have a Vet on board who will prescribe the correct stuff...
Good Luck!

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh interesting, did it just happen randomly? She’s been on the same food that she was eating before her acne came. Could she have developed a food sensitivity?
For my cats, it happened randomly. They were seemingly fine eating those foods and then acne started showing up one day. They already had ceramic bowls and I didn't have a water fountain for them back then. For the lamb and duck it makes sense, since those are oily meats. But as for why bison triggered acne, I have no idea. I dont know if that's the case for your cat as well, I just wanted to mention it since food can being a trigger. I'd try all of the other suggestions first to see if they help. If not, then trying a different food for your girl might work.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do the wipes seem to help? I’d like her vet to take a look at her chin but she gets so stressed going to the vet and has to take calming medication because she doesn’t like to be touched. Maybe it would be worth it though.
It does help Phoebe, it's more preventative for her. I wipe every day or two, and if her chin feels a bit crusty I use a flea comb. But as I said, she isn't too bothered by me doing it. She doesn't like it, but it isn a huge deal. Oddly she's less bothered by it then when I used a cotton swab and dilute Betadine (a previous vet's recommendation).

It's harder for you with Lucy, but I would definitely talk to your vet, at least, to see if they recommend bringing her in.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I remember correctly, Becue he gets a lot of liquid meds, I threw out his water syringe and pill popper, and got new ones. This was the only plastic which came into contact with his skin---- except for the plastic he finds and eats!!
Now that's something I hadn't thought of - Daisy's just started showing signs of very minor acne. She drinks her Osmolax from the plastic mixing spoon that comes with it and on occasion I have to give it to her by syringe. Drat, I'd better get a metal spoon.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that's something I hadn't thought of - Daisy's just started showing signs of very minor acne. She drinks her Osmolax from the plastic mixing spoon that comes with it and on occasion I have to give it to her by syringe. Drat, I'd better get a metal spoon.
I just used a regular tablespoon for my old cats meds. Goes in the dishwasher anyways so whos gonna care a cat licked it?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Magnus also gets chin acne.

It happens when we use certain dish detergents. All the bowls etc remain the same. Further, we thought that it was ceramic bowls causing the issue at first, he's fine on the bamboo plastic ones through. We still have two metal and one ceramic which he occasionally uses, but mostly the other cats use. We've switched back to Dawn and it's been fine.

We use a damp toothbrush with only water and rub at his chin. He likes it, so it's not much of an issue. We only do this when we notice it flaring up.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Yes, please leave her chin alone. It is not worth the damage you will do to your relationship with your cat. She may wind up hiding from you all the time.
I have a cat who I have accidentally kicked while I was walking and he ran into my leg. I felt horrible. He was just like “ Oh, are we playing football with me today? Cool!!!” Like it never happened.
My other cat is fearful and by nature a very stressed out cat. When I have to give her a pill, if she picks up on anything she hides. After I pill her she hides for hours. I have accidentally sat on her when she was under the blanket on the couch. She ran and hid for a day.
Sensitive high stress cats need to know everything is ok. If you overwhelm them they regress and you start undoing any relationship building that you have done.