Black spots on chin

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! It’s me again 😂 does anyone know what these black spots on my girls chin are? What can I do to treat them if necessary? I didn’t know them a month ago but recently they just started appearing. Thank you so much!

She doesn’t hold still for nothing so you’ll have to zoom in on the photo to see.

Attachments

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell (my kitties are super wiggly too!) but it could be Feline Chin Acne.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell (my kitties are super wiggly too!) but it could be Feline Chin Acne.
I was wondering if it could be that. Anything I can do for it? Does it usually bother cats?

Thank you so much!

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are the specks loose or attached to the chin?

Try combing some out if they are loose and add a drop of water to them, if the water turns red, it's probably flea poop.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find acne is pretty easy to take care of. First, make sure bowls for food and water are non-porous. Ceramic or metal. Get multiples so you can swap out and wash frequently. Then keep your baby's chin clean. Even some warm water washes can help.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used oxypads when Kabuto's breakouts get really bad (whiteheads). It can also be caused by genetics.

Also if you have any fountains I would discontinue their use since bacteria can hide in the plumbing.

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've used oxypads when Kabuto's breakouts get really bad (whiteheads). It can also be caused by genetics.

Also if you have any fountains I would discontinue their use since bacteria can hide in the plumbing.
Oh interesting, now that you mention that it did start around the time I switched to a water fountain. I’ll definitely stop and see if it gets better. Thank you!

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I find acne is pretty easy to take care of. First, make sure bowls for food and water are non-porous. Ceramic or metal. Get multiples so you can swap out and wash frequently. Then keep your baby's chin clean. Even some warm water washes can help.
I just finished washing her chin so hopefully that helps! She was not having it though. She wasn’t held or touched much as a kitten and kept in a house by herself pretty much all day before I got her. She doesn’t like to be held or touched besides the occasional head rubs! Makes washing her or even looking at her chin quite difficult 🤪

So by non porous you mean ceramic and metal is safe to use? She has a ceramic dish but I need to get her more so I can wash them out between feedings.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh interesting, now that you mention that it did start around the time I switched to a water fountain. I’ll definitely stop and see if it gets better. Thank you!
Even with the stainless fountains I have yet to see one without plastic plumbing in it. Even still the crevices make ideal spots for bacterias to hide. The plumbing is not dishwasher safe either so can't be killed by the sanitary cycles.

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I know it’s been awhile since I posted on this thread but Lucy is still having acne problems. The black spots are getting any worse but today I noticed bleeding on her chin. Do I keep trying to treat it or should I bring her to the vet? I tried to get a photo of it but she doesn’t stay still at all. I’ll attach the photos I did get. Should I try something else for her? Or do I just take her to her vet to look at it?

Attachments

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you squeeze those tubes into a bowl for her? The packaging could be contributing to the acne. I would remove all plastic bowls and packaging from products including those tube things.

Use ceramic bowls or plates ( human diningwear is a good alternitive) stainless steel is another ok material.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I did find a fountain that has limited crevices and is completly dishwasher safe except the pump.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00329RZFE/?tag=

I have this one for Kabuto and he no longer has breakouts have had it almost a month now.
20231103_194712.jpg

i put the whole thing in the dishwasher once a week and clean the pump with vinegar (very hard water)

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In my experience the more you mess with chin acne the worse it gets. While it would seem like oxy pads or something would help, it really isn’t safe to use on a cat. Feline acne is often caused by bacteria lurking in plastic dishes or water bowls and I guess fountains. Try switching that first. Also, please don’t stress your cat out by cleaning the chin. Do the bowl swap first and see if it goes away.

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats get chin acne if they eat certain foods. For them it's triggered by bison, lamb, and duck. Maybe its food related in your case as well? That could be it if changing the bowls and fountain adjustments haven't worked. It might be worth trying a different protein and seeing if that stops the acne.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If her chin is bad enough to be bleeding, I'd see the vet about it. Phoebe has chronic acne (blackheads that get a bit crusty and can get inflamed, never bled though) and I get Chlorhexidine wipes from my vet for her. She's not too fussed about having her chin cleaned, so I don't know how easy that would be for you to use on Lucy.

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you squeeze those tubes into a bowl for her? The packaging could be contributing to the acne. I would remove all plastic bowls and packaging from products including those tube things.

Use ceramic bowls or plates ( human diningwear is a good alternitive) stainless steel is another ok material.
I didn’t think of the plastic on those tubes. Thank you for letting me know! She only uses a ceramic bowl for eating and I either hand wash it or put it in the dishwasher after each use. I also offer my cats water in only metal bowls. I think I might try switching to ceramic for their water though and buying a few so I can wash them each day.

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did find a fountain that has limited crevices and is completly dishwasher safe except the pump.

Amazon.ca

I have this one for Kabuto and he no longer has breakouts have had it almost a month now.
View attachment 463447

i put the whole thing in the dishwasher once a week and clean the pump with vinegar (very hard water)
Oh this is great! My cats loved their water fountain but it was impossible to clean! Thank you so much!

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my experience the more you mess with chin acne the worse it gets. While it would seem like oxy pads or something would help, it really isn’t safe to use on a cat. Feline acne is often caused by bacteria lurking in plastic dishes or water bowls and I guess fountains. Try switching that first. Also, please don’t stress your cat out by cleaning the chin. Do the bowl swap first and see if it goes away.
Do you think I should leave her chin alone? I hate stressing her out by trying to wash it. Before I took her in she rarely got any human interaction and was left alone in a house by herself for very long. She has never cared to be touched since I took her in and hides from me after I wash it and I feel so bad. I don’t use any plastic bowls with my cats and wash her food dish after every use.

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats get chin acne if they eat certain foods. For them it's triggered by bison, lamb, and duck. Maybe its food related in your case as well? That could be it if changing the bowls and fountain adjustments haven't worked. It might be worth trying a different protein and seeing if that stops the acne.
Oh interesting, did it just happen randomly? She’s been on the same food that she was eating before her acne came. Could she have developed a food sensitivity?