Biting

scarecrow2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The reason for her not being spayed yet are twofold....one was financial-but now I have the money. Second- I am disabled and have a problem with transportation. I don't know how I'm going to get her to a clinic. I don't drive and have no car. I don't know too many people here who would be willing to help. So I'm just trying to work out the logistical details! I agree..I feel terrible seeing her in heat.

I'd also like to work out something with a shelter to get the feral and strays around me fixed. There are a lot and so many little ones!

I don't know how old she is...she seems to be young by her behavoir. A few months ago, she showed up at my door at 3am. I heard a persistent scratching at my back door and there she was...moved right in as if she owned the place and pretty much stays in the house. She doesn't even try to get out and mate when she's in heat, which I don't understand. She will go out and roll around in the grass, dirt and patio.

The other cats around here won't come near me and hiss at me if I dare come out while they're eating and run away otherwise.

Thank you for your feedback and concern, I need all the help I can get!

scarecrow2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

Their adrenaline is pumping and they aren't necessarily thinking clearly. Keep in mind that cats are hardwired to do everything in their power to not outwardly display any signs of weakness, because it makes them easier pickings for predators and other cats.
!
I didn't know this! I, too, take the things she does very personally! I feel like she doesn't like me because I'm the only one who gets attacked! I don't get it...I'm the one who feeds her, takes care of her, plays with her. I thought cats instinctively knew when their people were in pain or having a rough day. I guess I'm comparing her to my "Angel" who could sense when I was having a rough day!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by scarecrow2007

The reason for her not being spayed yet are twofold....one was financial-but now I have the money. Second- I am disabled and have a problem with transportation. I don't know how I'm going to get her to a clinic. I don't drive and have no car. I don't know too many people here who would be willing to help. So I'm just trying to work out the logistical details! I agree..I feel terrible seeing her in heat.

I'd also like to work out something with a shelter to get the feral and strays around me fixed. There are a lot and so many little ones!

I don't know how old she is...she seems to be young by her behavoir. A few months ago, she showed up at my door at 3am. I heard a persistent scratching at my back door and there she was...moved right in as if she owned the place and pretty much stays in the house. She doesn't even try to get out and mate when she's in heat, which I don't understand. She will go out and roll around in the grass, dirt and patio.

The other cats around here won't come near me and hiss at me if I dare come out while they're eating and run away otherwise.

Thank you for your feedback and concern, I need all the help I can get!
Perhaps you could "let your fingers do the walking" and call around to some shelters to see if they have vet services available that they could recommend. You could also maybe try a Wheeltrans kind of company to see if you could book a ride to take your cat to the vet. There may even be someone at the vet office that might know of a way for you to get there. I I live in a small town and they have a community service available and the folks are often retired people that just try to help out others in need. I also have a friend in Florida that is retired and she just takes folks for errands and shopping that have no transportation of their own. Call your city hall folks and see if there are any services like that available to you. You'll also get to meet some new folks.

pacerracer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shania does this too. For example I'll be laying on the couch reading and she'll be sleeping on the chair across from me, she'll wake up, her pupils will expand and she'll be off the chair up on the couch and biting my arm with ears flat quicker than you can blink. From everything I've read it means she's asserting herself as being dominant over me. I use a bottle of water, have it on a gentle mist setting and spray her.

She'll also run out and attack my legs but that means she wants to play tag. We play a hide n seek/tag game. For example, she darts out from the laundry room, grabs my leg then darts back into the laundry room, I chase her, touch her bum, she drops and rolls on her back, I run out of the laundry room with her chasing me, she jumps, grabs my leg and runs back in the laundry room and the game continues.

Try chasing your cat when she attacks your leg, maybe she wants to play tag.

salsanchips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From my limited experience (only had my cats since October '07)...

Cats are social creatures. They need another companion to play with and practice the dominant "alpha / omega" hierarchy.

In the absence of another cat, they will use the next available subject – the human (you).

I know this because when I adopted my two cats, I was able to pick up the male (Wingnut) first, but had to wait several days to pick up his playmate (Moonbat) because she needed to recover from being spayed. Wingnutâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s behavior changed completely when I brought Moonbat home. He was now focused 90% on her, play wise, and 10% on me. Before, he was obsessed with me, following me around and constantly wanting attention.

You cat is using you as a surrogate for another cat. That includes rough play (biting), whenever the cat gets bored or frustrated. If sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s not spayed, get it done. Also, think about another cat to keep her company. Some toys might help also.

Spray bottle is a must. Also, cats quickly learn to understand tone of voice. A sharp “NO†is all I need to stop my cats when they are misbehaving (at least until I leave the room
).

Good luck.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not in favour of spray bottles, but if you do use one, please be very careful not to get any water in their ears which can cause a serious infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psychopomp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're doing about a hundred times better the last several weeks.

She still bites at the back of my legs as I walk by every now and then, but if I make the motion to push her away with my leg she realizes that nothing good will come of it and decides not to bite.

I think we're beginning to understand each other though. She still not as much of a lap cat as I wanted, but she sits on my lap when I watch TV or gets on the bed with me when I read... so we're getting there.