Bills, bills, bills

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Happy Friday everyone! :wavey:

Today's question is about a dreaded subject, bills.

How do you pay your bills? Do you sit down and do a bunch at once or pay as soon as one comes in?

I'm working my way up to paying bills right now. I usually wait until I have a few and pay them all at once. :)

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We pay when the bills come. Usually by dropping a cheque in the mail. DH is old fashioned. And we make sure that the credit card always gets paid in full, even if it means we have to skimp elsewhere.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Happy Friday everyone!

How do you pay your bills? Do you sit down and do a bunch at once or pay as soon as one comes in?

I'm working my way up to paying bills right now. I usually wait until I have a few and pay them all at once.
I do that, too.  Usually a couple of times a month.  

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My rent gets deducted automatically with a preauthorized payment, so that happens the first of every month whether I like it or not. 
My credit card bills come at different times, but I'll check my accounts a couple times a month and pay both cards off at once online. Our hydro and internet bills come at different times too, so we pay those as soon as we receive statements for them online. I top up my prepaid cell whenever I'm under a $20 balance.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pay them all at once.  I do have to wait for my SS check to come in first and then I pay whatever bills I have had waiting.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some of my bills are set up to be paid automatically. others, really just 3, i pay when they're 2-3 days prior to their due date and they're paid either online or by phone. only one bill, my water bill, cannot be paid online so i write a check and mail the payment about a week and a half before the due date.

i don't like to pay late fees or interest. so the only debt i have is my mortgage, which does have interest as part of the payments. i never pay bills late. i keep a close eye on my budget, and plan purchases/expenses out way in advance -- so everything runs smoothly here.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I still have to pay my rent my check, the only check I wright each month.  That is paid on the 1st and comes out of one pay.  Everything else is paid online all at once out of the other pay.  I still get paid biweekly rather than bimonthly so I have 2 months a year with an 'extra' pay.  I always say I should put both of those pays in savings since it's like extra money but I never do.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most are online. There are a few, like the guy who mows our lawn, who only take checks. 

I prefer to pay electronically.  No paper to clutter up the house more than it already is :D

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I stay out of my husbands way & let him do it! 

We've actually traded those duties back and forth over the years.  He does them weekly. 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Most are online. There are a few, like the guy who mows our lawn, who only take checks. 

I prefer to pay electronically.  No paper to clutter up the house more than it already is :D
Same here. Usually once I get the email reminder, otherwise I will forget and incur a $20 penalty. >.<

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually pay the bills as they come in but sometimes for the really big ones I will wait until there is enough $$ to pay them. There hasn't been any for a while now so I'd say there will be some this week

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get paid every other week on Thursday. I pay my bills with my credit union's on- line banking. My largest monthly bill is my town homes association fee so with that bill I pay 2 smaller bills daughter's college fund, a credit card. With the other check of the month I pay all the other bills utilities bills, car insurance, credit cards. Thankfully I never let my credit card debt get too high.  The best months are the ones that have 3 paydays in them.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our regular bills are paid by direct debit. Anything else is paid almost immediately by online credit transfer - personal checks were done away with when the euro was adopted in physical form (notes and coins).

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my bills. Are paid automatically from my bank account including my credit card payments. I don't have to do anything. :-)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick is the financial officer in the family. The bills come in, he pays them and I mail out the checks on my way to work. We don't have a mortgage as our house is paid off, so all we really have are utilities at this point. We will have some charges on the cc from being away, but will pay those off when the bill comes.

Like Mooch that bill-paying job has been traded between Rick and me for many years. I was doing it, but gave it up when I was working a swing-shift and we realized that I was transposing numbers in the checkbook and on the checks....that's what happens when you work all night on Friday night and then come home and try to pay bills on Saturday morning. Rick finally took it all over after I overdrew the checking account twice. He's kept charge ever since. And he does a great job.

But that doesn't mean that I don't know what's going on. I'll get the checkbook out and take a gander at it about once a month. Go through the files, that sort of thing. Should anything happen to Rick, I know what to do and when to pay what. 

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pay my bills as soon as I get them. Don't do any on-line payments, just write old fashioned checks. Our house and cars are paid for so our only bills are the regular utilities, credit card (which I pay in full each month so no interest incurred). Don't like to owe any money and like paying bills immediately. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I still don't trust on-line payments.

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I try and pay a lot bills ahead of time when my husband gets a check (4x a months). So internet, electric bill.. pay on it or add to it if I have + balance with that.
Worst bill is my HOA/lot rent. House is paid off. Second worst is phones. Both are taken out of my SSI check first of the month.

Rest of the bills out of my husband checks.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I throw all correspondence and bills into a letter holder then go through them and pay them by check on Saturdays. If I need to remember something, like send a birthday card, etc, I write a note and stick that in there too. I like doing it that way so I don't spend time every day paying bills, it seems like one comes in every day.

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Friday everyone!

I'm working my way up to paying bills right now. I usually wait until I have a few and pay them all at once.
My pay comes in at the end of the month, and hubby gets paid every other Friday. When my pay comes in I take care of the bulk of the bills right away (Gas, Electric, Cable, Phone, and Bus Passes). Each check my DH Gets he pays the 2 week salary for our housekeeper ($50/week) and we get out $100 cash to pay her every 2 weeks.

The first check of the month he pays rent, the last check of the month he pays the NEXT month's water - so we stay usually a couple weeks ahead on the water bill. The reason we divide it up, is because he does not have an account- and just cashes his checks. Water and rent will only take a Money order or Cash............. and he can walk a block away and pay cash for the water bill. And it wwas his thought to hire Shirley instead of cleaning! LOL So he gets to pay her :D

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I get paid every two weeks, but Rick gets paid every week. It makes it nice because there's always money coming in every week that way. 

My sister gets paid twice monthly and my BIL gets paid once a month. It took her a while to get used to having money that way, but now she's used to it. She pretty much does her grocery shopping once a month when he gets paid and she's pretty careful to make sure that she has everything she needs for the coming month. They eat out quite a bit, though, so she doesn't buy a lot in the way of food, other than cereal for breakfast and stuff for my BIL's lunches.

I don't know if I could shop for groceries only once a month. 
 I know I'd forget something.