Best tree for a large single kitty?

ragsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I am going to have to Spring for a new tree for my Sami and was looking for advice. I live in the middle of nowhere and can't go actually look at them so whatever I get will have to be ordered online. It has to be really sturdy....the one I have now almost topples when she races across the room and climbs up it. It has to have LARGE shelves and preferably an easily accessible and BIG top nest with 2 or 3 inch sides, since that is where she prefers to nap. She's a Ragdoll and if her parents are any indication, she is going to be a big girl....probably around 18 lbs. Having said that, I would like for it to not take up my entire living room! LOL
I know some of you folks have had a years of experience with cat furniture, so I will welcome any advice, your favorite brands, ones to stay away from etc. Lastly, does anyone know of any place that will build a custom tree to specs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ragsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Don't know why I didn't see that thread in my search before! Have sent inquiries to a couple of those makers.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
My favorite brands are Armarkat and Kitty Mansions. I also like the Trixie brand. These are the only brands of trees I will use, both personally and for our rescue.

I have several large kitties (16-18 lbs) and both the Armarkat and Kitty Mansions have held up well. KM is probably the most stable. I have 2 of their Amazon trees, 1 mini Amazon, 1 Hollywood and 1 Troy. I am looking to purchase one of their new models for the kitties for Christmas. All of my KM trees are 1-3 yrs old and are still in excellent condition.

The Armarkat trees lasted me about 2 yrs; but, they get very heavy use in my house from my personal kitties and with fosters. Much more than the typical household.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother and I have trees from Armarkat that are about 8 years old now.  Both are in great condition!  Mine has probably had the heaviest use.  Mooch was the heaviest of our cats when she was about 15 1/2lb.  It did wobble a little when they'd run up to the highest perch; but not enough to make me nervous for them.  My mother has a large tree with 3 high tiers.  I have never seen it wobble.