Best grocery dry food brands?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty is now on Goodlife, which is the best dry I can afford, and is available from WalMart.  The first four ingredients are, in order from the label, chicken, chicken meal, brown rice, and chicken byproduct meal.  Not too terrible for a reasonably priced commercial dry.  I believe I paid about $12 for a 7 pound bag that lasts me nearly 2 months.  The main thing is that Finicky Feline Diva will eat it.  She will not touch wet.

Although wet may be preferable in general, in specific, you have to feed your cat something that you can afford, and that they like.

Oh...and the water thing...do NOT place the water bowl too near the food bow.  Cats don't like that,  I have four water bowls (not counting her favorite, the toilet), and the one nearest the food is the least used.  Thankfully, my girl sucks back water like a dehydrated camel.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Hekitty is now on Goodlife, which is the best dry I can afford, and is available from WalMart.  The first four ingredients are, in order from the label, chicken, chicken meal, brown rice, and chicken byproduct meal.  Not too terrible for a reasonably priced commercial dry.  I believe I paid about $12 for a 7 pound bag that lasts me nearly 2 months.  The main thing is that Finicky Feline Diva will eat it.  She will not touch wet.

Although wet may be preferable in general, in specific, you have to feed your cat something that you can afford, and that they like.

Oh...and the water thing...do NOT place the water bowl too near the food bow.  Cats don't like that,  I have four water bowls (not counting her favorite, the toilet), and the one nearest the food is the least used.  Thankfully, my girl sucks back water like a dehydrated camel.
I refuse to believe that a tortie would drink from the commode.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I refuse to believe that a tortie would drink from the commode.
It's her favorite place.  I think it has to do with the position, like drinking from the watering hole while waiting for a gazelle..Even when I would keep the lid down, she would push her way underneath.  That said, if she is in the bathroom doorway, squalling, I immediately check her litter box.  If that is satisfactory, I grab the brush and bowl cleaner.  She keeps me honest, and cleaning "her" bowl on a daily basis!  Sometimes twice.  SIGH.  My life is run by an 8.5 pound heap of orange and black fur.  With a voice like a bomb siren.

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

FYI: You can make your own water fountain using a stainless steel bowl and an inexpensive aquarium filter for under $25. Check on YouTube for DIY water fountains for cats. Be inventive!
I didn't know that. Mine got burned out by cat hair in the motor. Thank you.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to feed Purina Cat Chow Naturals. I stopped because I was having males with urinary issues. I'm not sure if it was my cats or just the food but I ended up switching to entirely wet. I do give a little of the feline greenies to the non-urinary prone issue cats and I give fresh meat to the ones that were, as a little treat. I do feed 9 lives and Special Kitty canned foods in rotation with some Purina friskies. I fed the outdoor cats almost entirely wet up until this last bit of  cold weather, the food was freezing too fast so I had set out a dish of the dry. Thankfully no issues arose from it.  I think Purina is a good brand it just wasn't working well for my cats.  If you are going to feed wet, you can get the large 13oz, same size as dog food cans of cat food from Friskies for $1 at Walmart and also Dollar Tree. I can feed two cats a day on one can and mine are pretty big. I have a total of six house kitties to feed along with 34 outside kitties so I surely know the value of a budget.

If you have a printer, you can print  $1 coupon on coupons.com for Purina Cat Chow

Last edited: