Bengal cat versus tabby

unano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,not sure if this was already mentioned that a Bengal cat has a asymmetric pattern and this is one of the unique feature of the breed. So if you will look closely of your cat and that if the coat pattern is identical or almost identical then it is a DSH not a Bengal or even a mixed bengal. Hope this answer your quiry :)

unano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I meant... identical or almost identical on both sides.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello,not sure if this was already mentioned that a Bengal cat has a asymmetric pattern and this is one of the unique feature of the breed. So if you will look closely of your cat and that if the coat pattern is identical or almost identical then it is a DSH not a Bengal or even a mixed bengal. Hope this answer your quiry
Interesting, good to know!

unano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I probably should mention that I'm a registered breeder that's why I know this things.(I didn't mention this to my other post and it was been asked if the kitten i posted has a wild ancestry so I had to explain)

I bred other cats too before :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yuki is a broken mackerel tabby, I think.  The silver and black tabby pattern is nice.

unano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

my cat yuki has got quite big spots and even one rosette-like-spot - i've never seen a tabby like her. does she maybe have a bengal in her? her fur is very soft, too. she is a female but has got cheeks like a tomcat. what do you think? 
Hello, does Yuki has similar or the same pattern on both sides? If she has then she is not part or mix bengal. Yuki looks nice thou :)

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Just wanted to add these two articles to the thread - 

[article="29687"]Bengal Cats​[/article]  

[article="22334"]Tabby Cats​[/article]  

Both provide illustrated descriptions. The first is a breed description for Bengal cats. The second explains about the tabby coat patterns and its variants.

nihilist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yuki has the rosette only on one side. one side (not on the photo) is more striped, the other one is more spotted. the spotted one is more unusual, so you can see it on the photos. but she has a symmetric butterfly shape marking on the back. 

onecrazycatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This thread got me interested.  You all have some very beautiful kitties!  I guess it doesn't matter if our babies have some purebred mixed in

since they are gorgeous to us anyway, but it sure does make us curious, right?  I have 3 cats (all rescues) and I just adopted a 6 month old

boy named Leo.  I didn't even know what he looked like when I agreed to adopt him so I was surprised to see how stunning he is.  I heard

about him and felt sorry for him and the next thing you know I was at the shelter picking him up.  He has a taurine deficiency so his heart

is enlarged but hopefully the supplements will correct that.  When I first got him his back legs didn't even work....he was just dragging them.

But with the supplements, exercise and TLC he is now running everywhere and is as fast as lightening!  He is extremely playful and never 

seems to stop so it was hard to get some pictures.  He has so much energy it's crazy.  I don't know if he's just a really pretty tabby or if there's

something exotic mixed in, but here's my Leo Lion:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leo is gorgeous, no matter what his genetic background!  One thing for sure:  he has a lot of LOVE in him, as every cat and kitten so richly deserves!   Good on you for all you have done/are doing/will do for him.  

onecrazycatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
THANK YOU Tarasgirl06!  This was my very first post on this site so your response was appreciated.  Yes, he is one spoiled kitten and rightly so.

onecrazycatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the link, blueyeyedgirl5946.  Yes, he most probably is just a regular marbled tabby, which is fine by me.  The fact that he is jumping, running and playing so well after being so lame

and weak is enough to make me happy of course.  I guess I was surprised at how lovely his markings are, since I selected him sight unseen....all that mattered to me was helping an unwanted

kitten find a forever, loving home.  Does anybody know if markings become more striking as a cat matures?  He is only six months old.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're so very welcome!  As to your boy's markings becoming more pronounced, I'm really not sure, but he's gorgeous right now, isn't he?  Absolutely beautiful tawnystriped tigret! 

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bengals from poor owners or breeders sometimes escape and outcross with feral populations, passing on certain traits but not others. They tend to be large and sturdy, but not necessarily blocky. They have a shine to their coats.

The only way to know for sure would be a blood test, but it is possible your cat has some bengal. I doubt most strays are full bengal.

Gorgeous cats by the way.  : )

mpark010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I'm sorry if it offends anyone in anyway, but I was curious if anyone's seen this crown or Rolex type mark below their Bengal/any female cat's anus?

Last edited by a moderator: