Begging For Advice/help For 2 Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitty0619

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you could get some eye medicine for the little ones. I've rescued lots of feral kittens, eye infections are very common. They can look horrible, but they clear up quickly with proper treatment.

Please keep us posted on how everything goes.

:goodluck:
Rescuing feral kittens is an extremely time consuming work (especially if your dealing with several generations of feralness) but it is also very rewarding. I love when I can place them in loving homes, but until then, I'm all they have. I will post updates on the two boys, and I thank all of you who had helpful advice for the boys and an uplifting word or two for me.... it really means a lot

Kitty0619

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know of no reason you couldn't give them both the eye ointment and the L-lysine supplement at the same time. Let's hope 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 confirms that, or one of your loyal followers!
I am in the process of ordering the L-lysine now, and I'm hoping to get my Care Credit approved for a higher amount, so I can take the boys to the vet before Thursday. Until then, I will give them the two medications and hope it helps them.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to publically thank Zed xyzed for his help. He is my boys hero and we owe him immensely. Thank you so much Mr. Eric for your kindness toward my boys.
I think you are their Hero, you took them off of the cruel street, showed them love, take care of them day after day, spending all that you have on them, putting their needs ahead of yours. Now if that isn't the definition of Hero I don't know what is. Bless you for helping these two beautiful boys and all the other cats in your neighbourhood.

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty0619 Kitty0619 : :clapcat: You rock!! Bless you for not giving up!!! It sounds like you are in an underserved area, which, when compared to cosmopolitan areas, seems more like a 3rd world country than our modern world. In rural areas, there are often no resources for cats. I have made a point of visiting animal shelters & meeting locals all over the mainland, just to educate myself and visit animals, mostly cats and dogs. For example, visit the Reno shelter of Nevada Humane Society and then go less than 80 miles any easterly direction and see the contrast.....in some areas, there are no services for cats -NONE except for euthanasia. I applaud all of us who do so much on so very little...
:rock:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in the process of ordering the L-lysine now, and I'm hoping to get my Care Credit approved for a higher amount, so I can take the boys to the vet before Thursday. Until then, I will give them the two medications and hope it helps them.
I think erring on the side of caution is the best course here, you might be right, but we also have to remember that stuff that is innocuous to humans can kill cats.
That is true and definitely something to mention to the veterinarian who is prescribing the antibiotic, especially if it is an oral antibiotic. :agree:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think erring on the side of caution is the best course here, you might be right, but we also have to remember that stuff that is innocuous to humans can kill cats.
:agree:
And since they're so little, and their systems are already fighting some things, that takes its toll on them too.
With cats, erring on the side of caution is always a good plan.

Kitty0619

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I wanted to give you all an update on my boys. Little Lee is doing great and his eyes are clearing up wonderfully thanks to Mr. Eric and his generosity. Little Moe was doing good up until this morning, when his right eye started bleeding. It looked like one of his foster siblings had scratched him in the eye, and the poor baby was shivering in pain, so I swallowed my pride and went around begging veterinarians to help him.

About a year ago is when I moved to the town I'm living in now and the veterinarian I've been using here hasn't known me long but the a-hole told me he was too busy. In the past year, I have spent almost $1000 at his office and just a couple weeks ago, I spent almost $400 at his office for this same kitten and he couldnt help me this onetime when I didnt have any cash?? People like him make me sick. I had to go to two more veterinary clinics before I found a doc that would help me, and I dont know if this says anything or not, but the outside of his clinic looked completely different from the others who told me no. The vets who all told me "no, im too busy", had big expensive looking buildings and the vet who said "yes" had a building with an almost run down appearance on the outside, but still very clean on the inside.

He told me that little Moe's eyes were clearing up nicely, but the bleeding came from a scratch to his eyeball it looked like to him. He said that Moe probably wont have great vision in that eye and even expensive surgery wouldn't fix it completely. When I told him about finding Moe wrapped up tight in chicken wire, his eye infection, and this, he said that he is a little fighter for one so young.

The vet gave him a shot of something called Buenorphin for pain, cleaned his eyes out, and put some kind of salve in them. He told me to do warm compresses and keep giving him the Terramycin and L-lysine and he should be healed up nicely after about a week.

I will keep yall updated on them, and I want to thank you all (and especially Mr. Eric) for all your help. It's meant the world to myself and the boys.( I couldnt get him off of my shoulder to take a pic, so I had to take a selfie and that's why half of my face is in the pic too....sorry!)
20190610_160312.jpg

Kitty0619

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[
I read that you shouldn't use both at the same time Antibiotics & Lysine | Livestrong.com I would use the ointment first. Once done follow up with the Lycine
Hey, I just read this post of yours. The vet told me to continue to use the Terramycin and L-lysine but I just read those articles you shared and it sounds like I shouldnt use the two together. Would you continue to use them both together or not? Until, I get your opinion I'm going to stop the L-lysine at the moment.... those articles scared me.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just follow up with the vet to be sure, the issue is with some types of antibiotics and since the Terramycin is topical I don't think there will be an issue but confirm with the vet tomorrow.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yay for that compassionate vet :heartshape::clap:

Poor Moe but at least he received medical attention and is in your tender loving care.

You should ask your vet and you can ask a druggist about possible interactions between L-lysine and antibiotics. I have often used both, at my vet's direction but like you, I got concerned but wasn't able to find any counter indications. I did find this: Screenshot_20190610-212859_Chrome.jpg

but that was about it. I do often use herbs and supplements on my sick kitties and as a rule of thumb, I give those on opposite hours of antibiotics and other modern medicines. My cats are from feral colonies and my vet, just like the nice one you found today, is a simple country vet who was raised in the Pacific NW on a remote ranch so we use less sophisticated approaches. There are many new advances made in feline medicine, however, and I would love to offer the cats and kittens in my care some of those options but so far, I have ferals who survive on Purina Cat Chow Naturals despite our harsh weather conditions and they are mostly 7-12+ years old and doing well; I lost one old queen last year to mammary cancer and in 2017, a mountain lion killed 9 confirmed & 2 MIA; prior to that, once they reach maturity, if they stay out of the roadways, they do well.