Because we don't have enough lemons as it is..

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our lemons are growing baby lemon trees inside them!

This is actually the 2nd lemon I've seen like this. We had one 2 weeks ago that had seedlings inside, I thought it was a worm at first! But no. So I'm going to see if any will actually grow into real plants and then maybe give them to some friends. Along with some lemons. I've been having some luck giving them away, to some friends and a few neighbors. And I just made a fresh pitcher of lemonade this morning and we STILL have 4 in the fridge. Every day or so some drop off the tree. And most of them are orange or grapefruit sized. Even with the thick rind, they are a lotta lemon!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is great!
I hope you're able to find homes for your little babies.

Fresh lemonade....

Lemon custard pie...

Lemon blueberry pie....

Lemon custard on berries....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

That is great!
I hope you're able to find homes for your little babies.

Fresh lemonade....

Lemon custard pie...

Lemon blueberry pie....

Lemon custard on berries....
MMMM! So far I've only made lots of lemonade and a batch of lemon bars which I didn't like too much. I will try a different recipe next time. Is lemon custard pie something different than lemon merengue? Lemon Blueberry pie sounds wonderful! Any recipes or links you might like to share??

I just realized it's almost 4PM and I haven't eaten yet, now all of a sudden I'm starving!! Except I want dessert, not real food!

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is amazing, I want a lemon tree now but with our weather I think it wouldn't last long
x

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

Wow, that is amazing, I want a lemon tree now but with our weather I think it wouldn't last long
x
Hey, I'll be in Yorkshire next week, if I thought I could sneak one past customs, I'd bring you a lemon spout! Actually I probably could sneak it in, they're only tiny.. but I don't know if it'd last the plane rides.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, little pregnant lemons! I wonder how that happened, I mean, is it a common thing to have them have sprouts inside? I know next to nothing about lemons, but I would love to have a lemon tree but it would never survive in this climate outside. I wonder how one would do in a pot that I could bring inside for winter?

Good luck with the new additions!

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How adorable!!

Can Lemon Trees survive in the NE if brought in during the winter?

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarkMavis

Hey, I'll be in Yorkshire next week, if I thought I could sneak one past customs, I'd bring you a lemon spout! Actually I probably could sneak it in, they're only tiny.. but I don't know if it'd last the plane rides.
OOh wow, try it
Yorkshire isn't that far away, osh its beautful in Yorkshire, I hope you have a nice stay. x

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every time I see one of your lemon threads I start salivating. That's really interesting that the seeds germinate right inside the lemon. Did you read up on it?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I saw your thread I thought This is one of those make lemonade things. I laughed out loud when I saw it was actually about lemons! Wish they would grow here. I love them!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It must be getting warm enough there to speed them up into germinating.

I would imagine it's a lot easier to give lemons away since they're so versatile. You could start making various lemon baked goods.

I had acorn squash self plant itself from some compost and grow into a decent sized squash jungle. I currently have 15 of them sitting on my counter, at least three more that should be ready to pick by Sunday or Monday and nobody wants any more squash...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sadly, I don't.
Since Gary's gotten ill, he doesn't bake (or cook much either) anymore. He used to make this "three layer lemon pie" that was just to die for. He doesn't have recipes - he just makes them.

I've been buying lemon custard from something like Stonewall kitchen or something. But there MUST be recipes on the net!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And lemon custard is different than lemon meringue. Gary can't stand meringue - but it may very well be basically lemon meringue pie just without the meringue part?????????
I do know it looks "creamier" than the lemon in meringue pie (not as clear yellow).

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Every time I see one of your lemon threads I start salivating. That's really interesting that the seeds germinate right inside the lemon. Did you read up on it?
It is very interesting, but I have not read up on it yet. BF thinks the previous owners must have fed the tree fertility drugs or something, there are just so many lemons!!

Here's a few pics of the tree:

And looking up into the tree from underneath:

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Why not give some to homeless shelters and soup kitchens or food banks?
Ah! I have thought of that but keep forgetting!! Thanks for the reminder. I know I will definitely do that when the oranges and tangerines get ripe, because the orange tree is about 3X the size of the lemon tree, and I will not be able to keep up with it all.

Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

When I saw your thread I thought This is one of those make lemonade things. I laughed out loud when I saw it was actually about lemons! Wish they would grow here. I love them!
Haha, glad to give you a laugh! I did make lemonade yesterday.. I've actually only heard that joke twice since we moved.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

It must be getting warm enough there to speed them up into germinating.

I would imagine it's a lot easier to give lemons away since they're so versatile. You could start making various lemon baked goods.

I had acorn squash self plant itself from some compost and grow into a decent sized squash jungle. I currently have 15 of them sitting on my counter, at least three more that should be ready to pick by Sunday or Monday and nobody wants any more squash...
Wow that's a lot of squash! My mom had that issue with cucumbers this year, she'd bring a dozen at a time into work and still had a ton leftover. When she visited me 2 weeks ago she brought 3 or 4, and 2 big ripe tomatoes too. Yum!

Originally Posted by LDG

Sadly, I don't.
Since Gary's gotten ill, he doesn't bake (or cook much either) anymore. He used to make this "three layer lemon pie" that was just to die for. He doesn't have recipes - he just makes them.

I've been buying lemon custard from something like Stonewall kitchen or something. But there MUST be recipes on the net!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And lemon custard is different than lemon meringue. Gary can't stand meringue - but it may very well be basically lemon meringue pie just without the meringue part?????????
I do know it looks "creamier" than the lemon in meringue pie (not as clear yellow).
I will keep looking on the internet for recipes and other uses. I just thought if you had a recipe to share, it'd let me be lazy.
Lemon custard sounds yummy. (crap, AGAIN I haven't eaten yet today and now I'm hungry all of a sudden!!)