Beasley is missing!

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

I'm so thrilled Beasley is home safe and sound, Shawn!
I agree with what has been said. This is absolutely not your fault, and steps must be taken to prevent this from ever happening again. I hope you will address this with your property manager so that you are notified in advance if entry into your home is ever required. That should be your right as a tenant and should be clearly respected. I've made a huge deal to my realty agency about this and would become absolutely enraged if my rights were ever violated putting Sierra at risk. I also have a sign on my door clearly stating Sierra is an indoor cat only and very skittish and that noone is to enter except in the case of an emergency without my presence. Wonder if you would want to consider a sign such as this as an extra precaution?
Stephanie, the sign is a brilliant idea!! Also, I agree that Shawn needs to make a huge deal about the maintenance man coming in the apartment without approval. Shawn, check your lease. I'm sure there's a clause about this somewhere therein. A contract was definitely broken!
I'm glad you found Beasley but what this "mistake" put you and Beasley through, emotionally and physically, is unforgiveable. I'm still mad that Beasley has a little puncture wound on her neck. Again, I think you should make the property manager pay the vet bill and for her antibiotics! That doesn't make up for the trauma you and Beasley have experienced but it will teach them a lesson!

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shawn I also agree with what everyone has said and all the advice that has been given: don't back down to your apartment complex, because this has put you through so much emotional strain and Bease so much emotional and physical strain.

Also I wanted to let you know that Ebony was spayed at 10 weeks so there are vets out there that will spay very young. I was SHOCKED when the shelter told us she would be sent so young for her spay. But she came out of the procedure find. I agree with Colleen that it may be time to find another, more skilled vet.

Bottom line, I am soooo glad you found your little girl and she is now back home safe and sound.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear you found Beasley!
I know how terrified you must have been.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emma petersen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found the vet by calling every vet within a thirty mile radius of my house.

I made it clear back when the maintenance man came into my house when I was SLEEP that under no circumstances was anyone to enter my home without notice. What is ironic is when we were leaving I pointed him out to my cousin and told her I hope he didnt go into my house because I had the laundry I was sorting all over the place and she replied there is no reason why he should be in my apartment because I had received no notice.
I am going to talk to the manager tomorrow when I go in to pay my rent. I dont have a lease here so nothing is in writing, it was just understood.

Bease is ok. I separated her and Tousse just so he wouldnt be trying to mount her or anything and traumatize her anymore than what she has already been. I will never again wait until six months to spay a female kitten.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that is all such good news. But I can sympathise with how mad you must be feeling. Sometimes whichever way we look there seems to be a problem. Vets here won't spay under 5/6 months either - even when Persil was already under anaesthetic and having major internal surgery at 16 weeks old, the vet didn't spay her at the same time as he considered her too young, so now she has to go through all the trauma of a second operation. But you will get it all under control now and I wish you and Beasley the best of luck.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A female cat in heat, will just want to get out. That is her instinct, and males will spray outside when a female is in heat, further driving her nuts. She will mate with more than one male while in heat, so that is why she got out and went "looking" she was following the enticing scent trails left for her. Even with an intact male in the house would not have kept her from what nature programmed her to do. That's why it is always a good idea to spay the females before they go into heat. You take a big chance in losing them once they enter the heat cycle.

I am glad you got her back, and got her to the vet. Did the vet start her on antibiotics just in case because of the bite wound?

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm so glad this turned out ok. i hope beasley's ok and none the worse for her ordeal. when my cat was accidently let out she was away for 5 days and i was in pieces. she on the other hand seemed to have had a whale of a time and came back looking very pleased with herself!

duke816

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Shawn,

Also glad to hear you found Bease. I also agree with everyone else about it being ok to get her spayed. I got Smokie from a shelter at 8 weeks old and she was already spayed (just the week prior)! (Although, it did kind of make me squirmy when I read on her papers that they described the spay stating that they removed her ovaries and uterus. She was only about 1 1/2 pounds then!) She is completely fine and normal, so don't have any worries about getting it done now.

Also, did you say the maintenance guy entered your pad while you were SLEEPING? Sounds like you need a chain lock on top of whatever lock you have! Luckily I've never had any problems with any of my apartments, but my boyfriend always tells me they enter and go through my underwear drawers. Nice. At the very least, they should re-imburse you for having to get her checked out after you found her. Good luck!!

emma petersen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the idea about the chain lock!

Originally Posted by hissy

A female cat in heat, will just want to get out. That is her instinct, and males will spray outside when a female is in heat, further driving her nuts. She will mate with more than one male while in heat, so that is why she got out and went "looking" she was following the enticing scent trails left for her. Even with an intact male in the house would not have kept her from what nature programmed her to do. That's why it is always a good idea to spay the females before they go into heat. You take a big chance in losing them once they enter the heat cycle.

I am glad you got her back, and got her to the vet. Did the vet start her on antibiotics just in case because of the bite wound?
Hissy, he gave me some ointment and said the wound wasnt deep enough to require stitches. He said it just looked bad because of the blood. I carefully washed it when I washed her up and he was actually right about that. The ointment just seemed like vaseline to me.

Now that Bease is back she really doesnt want to be bother with Tousse or me for that matter. I let them both be in the same room today after I fed them and checked her neck. And Tousse playful as always went bouncing towards Bease and she sort of rolled over onto her back with her ears flat and made like a growly hissy noise. Tousse just looked and her kinda baffled like and pounced on her anyways.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad the wound wasn't that bad... I'm sorry she's not playing with Tousse, maybe she's still a bit stressed after getting out and such?

emma petersen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was calling the animal shelter to cancel the message I had left for them (left it at the wrong number anyways!) and they told me of a program called SNIP. It's a spay and neuter program and the only qualification is that you have to be a resident of the city of Long Beach. That is all! So I called and the lady told me some intersting (not exactly good) info about the vet I took Bease to yesterday. She also said more than likely Bease is pregnant. Which terrifies me because my baby is so tiny and the thought of her attempting to give birth is just....
She also sent me two vouchers for vets in my IMMEDIATE area who will spray and neuter cats/kittens four months and up with these vouchers.

(I think its kinda odd that one of the same vets I called to spay Bease said no to under 6 months but is participating in this program.)