Bea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Post bath, I'm alive!

She's been someone's pet. How many kitties would stand in the sink for a bath?!?!

I didn't get all the poop washed off her bum, she doesn't appear to be cleaning her bum at all & it is quite stinky. She also looks sore from build-up for lack of a better word. I've got some ointment I'll put on her backside 2x a day for 7 days & see if that helps.

She got a full bath, escept for head & front paws. I haven't the foggiest idea how to groom a LH, so I combed her while she was still wet. She's not as big as I thought, actually is a bit thin & has a massive "udder".

I picked up the towel again & she got quite alarmed

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little punkin.
I sure hope she feels better soon. Sometimes a little trim on the "britches" back there helps. We used to do that for the Maine Coon mix we had when I was a teenager. He was prone to mats back there, so we kept him trimmed a little (just a trim with the scissors to the length of a medium or short hair, nothing really really short) it really helped.

My mom has 3 DLH's, she usually uses a slicker brush. Back when we had the Maine Coon mix who was prone to mats, we would slowly work at his mats. If they got bad we cut them off, but usually they could be worked out.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

Poor little punkin.
I sure hope she feels better soon. Sometimes a little trim on the "britches" back there helps. We used to do that for the Maine Coon mix we had when I was a teenager. He was prone to mats back there, so we kept him trimmed a little (just a trim with the scissors to the length of a medium or short hair, nothing really really short) it really helped.

My mom has 3 DLH's, she usually uses a slicker brush. Back when we had the Maine Coon mix who was prone to mats, we would slowly work at his mats. If they got bad we cut them off, but usually they could be worked out.
I have one DLH (that would be my JoJo), and she was not ... cleaning ... as she should... So I foolishly tried giving her her very first bath... at 6 years old. Ahem... although i didn't have to visit the HUman ER afterward, we did have to head down to Petsmart groomers for a second bath and a shave... She got into the litter box while wet... wet kitty + long hair + clumping litter = Not Pretty. her belly and bee-hind were shaved.

For grooming (no more baths for now... if I need to do one, she goes straight to the groomer), I use a variety of brushes, including a Furminator, and a doggie comb.

And She has the 'udder' as well... we're working on that... comes from being a lazy housecat. I think I need a Bengal next, to keep her moving...

Amanda
PS: If I were closer, I'd take her and the two boys home with me... although, I think JoJo would pack up and leave. She is gorgeous... you're doing an awesome thing fostering her.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope it doesn't cost a fortune to get the car fixed.

I'm glad things went so well with the bath - that's a relief!

Poor little baby - she's just gotten so used to be soiled that she doesn't care any more.
Nat, I'd trim the hair around her bum. You're going to have to be putting ointment on there anyway.

So.... can you tell at all what kind of kitty is in there waiting to get out - when she's not in pain, not afraid of the litter box, and proud enough of herself again to keep clean?

to taking on this challenge. Such a poor baby girl, my heart just keeps breaking over and over again for her!

Laurie

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am feeling everything that Laurie said too.

Sending more vibes for both you and sweet Bea.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Bea

She is doing SO much better already Nat. Its great that she tolerated the bath. Riley gets mats and sometimes a dirty behind, so I keep his fur trimmed back there. Its easier than trying to wash it out when he gets stuff stuck!

I love the banana video

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not that she gets anything stuck "back there". It's that it's all sore because she's had poop & urine built up there so long sores have developed. I highly doubt the people thought to check her behind & clean it. I'll try to clip her, I imagine I won't have any issues.

Oh she's an ornery girl.....I can see that under all the pain. She's used to be a princess, getting her way, and no one steals her thunder, so get rid of all these other animals, she says!

She slept in bed with me last night. It took her 25 minutes of putting a paw on the bed & going round & round trying to figure out how to jump up. I don't pick her up much as she's so big it's hard to do so. Eventually, she hopped up.....no grimace, no pain!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, that's two nice developments.
She's been "collecting issues" for so long that I guess it'll be a while before she gets past them, but she's on her way with your TLC.
to you both.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

She slept in bed with me last night. It took her 25 minutes of putting a paw on the bed & going round & round trying to figure out how to jump up. I don't pick her up much as she's so big it's hard to do so. Eventually, she hopped up.....no grimace, no pain!
Oh how precious is that.

Bea

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Litterbox problem SOLVED!

She's got an extra large, deep litterpan......pee still down the sides some, but it's all inside the LB! She will get a butt-cut, though....I forget LHs get "cling-ons"!
She pooped, all but one clingy bugger in the box! She doesn't bury, but I don't care!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she is making great progress! I think a good butt cutt will make a big difference too
Stan gets fewer cling-ons when we're diligent with the butt grooming

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are a surviver Bea.

Enjoy your butt cut.

I love real life tales with happy endings.
Thanks for giving this innocent, broken girl a chance.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now we've just got to find her a furr-ever home!

I discovered last night she has stitches in her paws!
They're dissolvable, I did not think there would be stitches or I would not have given her a bath. I must call the vet to find out if those can come out, there is some Swheat sticking to it a bit....they're starting to pull loose (it's been 3 weeks post op on Wed). I also discovered if I touch her toes when I'm near her, she chomps my nose.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I hope Bea's stitches aren't a problem.

How in the world are you going to find a home for this nose biting sweetie pie?

I always look forward to your next update about "our" Bea.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Oh I hope Bea's stitches aren't a problem.

And it's sounding wonderful, Nat!!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I can tell you for a fact that nose biters do find homes (there's one purring on my lap right now -- she just up and chomped on me once
)

I also look forward to hearing about "our" Bea...she just pulls at my heart.
heck if it wasn't such a dang long ride, I'd take her...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Nat, I'm so glad things are going so much better! I hope those stitches aren't a problem - but she's using the box - and learning that her feet don't hurt like they used to! That's progress!

.....and after all her poor feet have been through, I'd expect she'd chomp a nose if you touch them.

So we just need to find her a home where she can be a princess again!

for being so completely wonderful. I would have said such an angel - but that's not our Nat!

Laurie