Bea begs you to never declaw!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is just sooooo sad. The person who did it and the one that dumped her should be MADE to watch what really happens in a declaw surgery. Maybe then they would not do that to another cat!

I had to declaw my first cat because my parents said that was the only way I could keep him. I too cried when Mitten came home with bandaged feet and could not walk to the litter pan. He was one of the fortunate ones where declawing did not affect him physically or mentally. But never again would I put a cat thru that!

I'm paranoid now when I take a cat in for neuter/spay, cause I make sure they know NO DECLAW - its a SHOW cat and they cannot be shown and declawed. But I still check their feet before I take them home - I know mistakes can happen. I wish the US would ban declawing so no one had to suffer or be in doubt.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh...many for Bea!! She's beautiful and that scared look in her eye reminds me of my Stanley when we got him.

Declawing

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I cant stand declawing. There are so many other options... Thats why I have slipcovers on my couch... I get them from discount stores for 20 bucks and they last years...My furniture doesn't get destroyed and I get to change the look of my couch every so often... Its a win-win situation...

That poor baby. I hope she recovers well...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had to put our cats into boarding twice. Once of those was at the "bed and breakfast" run by our vet - they have very nice facilities for cats, and they get a lot of attention there. We filled out the forms - and at the bottom of the page was "Do you want your cat declawed during his/her stay with us?" And there was a box to check yes or no. We chatted with the owner of the place (our vet who already practices there is anti-declaw). They have removed this from their form, and they now have a pamphlet about declawing AND a pamphlet about how to deal with "inappropriate scratching" that they now hand out to people - and before a declaw, they have to sign a piece of paper that they've received these items. They also carry Feliway and Soft Paws now.

I will keep Bea in my thoughts tomorrow.

that all goes well and that she heals up - and will no longer be in pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People declaw thier cats to protect their material posessions. Why put a cat through the torture, just dont get a cat and keep your posessions the way you want to keep them.

If you care about cats, you would never declaw. If you think that declawing is ok, then you have not read anything on what the procedure entails. If you have and still think it is ok, then something deeper is wrong.

I hope this corrective precedure helps this baby girl have the pain free life she deserves. Sending many vibes for her.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet does declaw as a last resort. His feeling on it is that it is better to have a cat in a home than a cat in a shelter, thrown out on the street or put to sleep as unadoptable because the owner couldn't handle the claws.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

If you care about cats, you would never declaw. If you think that declawing is ok, then you have not read anything on what the procedure entails. If you have and still think it is ok, then something deeper is wrong.
Very well said

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Bea! I hope she is very much better soon!

2 of our cats have been declawed, but this was 10+ years back and the vet we went to (who is know very much out of business) told us how it was "relatively painless and would make the cats calmer" and all that other B.S. and of course my mother listened... NONE of my other cats will be declawed ever. For ANY reason!
Chablis turned out fine, Joey on the other hand also has claws that have grown back a bit and he has litter box problems constantly. Its no fun at all, and I'm sure he hates us for it at times.

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

People declaw thier cats to protect their material posessions. Why put a cat through the torture, just dont get a cat and keep your posessions the way you want to keep them.

I hope this corrective precedure helps this baby girl have the pain free life she deserves. Sending many vibes for her.
thanks for your absolutist positions..if i dont see it your way, i dont care about cats and something is deeply wrong with me...very mature..guess something is wrong with the hundreds of thousands of people that get their cats declawed..i could say you were a little bit on the morbid side of sentimentality with your extreme position on cat declawing...but if I did i would be acting like you, which i dont want to do...pls...chill...and since both my cats are rescues Im sure they prefer the way they are, to having starved or froze to death outside....dont you, or were they better off dead??

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Very well said
Thankfully not everyone has an absolutist judgemental approach of looking at things like you two have.

It saddens me that people generalize and are now open minded enough to look at both sides of the medal.

This is coming from someone who seriously considered declawing and chose not to do it after weighing the pros and cons carefully.

cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll be thinking of her tomorrow! Good luck Bea!

I've got a cat who was declawed when we got her. I feel so sorry for her!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh sweet Bea!!

I will be thinking of her during her *mutilation* tomorrow!!

Bless the couple that are going to give her a loving home.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sbw999

thanks for your absolutist positions..if i dont see it your way, i dont care about cats and something is deeply wrong with me...very mature..guess something is wrong with the hundreds of thousands of people that get their cats declawed..i could say you were a little bit on the morbid side of sentimentality with your extreme position on cat declawing...but if I did i would be acting like you, which i dont want to do...pls...chill...and since both my cats are rescues Im sure they prefer the way they are, to having starved or froze to death outside....dont you, or were they better off dead??
You post this on a very anti-declaw site, you are going to get replies like this one unfortunately. We are mostly all very anti-declaw here. It is cruel and a morbid thing to do to mutilate an animal to your liking to protect your material possessions. My 1 and a half year old nephew likes to throw his toys around the room, should we chop off his arms? Because man if we wait until he we can teach him how to behave, stuff is going to be ruined!

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

You post this on a very anti-declaw site, you are going to get replies like this one unfortunately. We are mostly all very anti-declaw here. It is cruel and a morbid thing to do to mutilate an animal to your liking to protect your material possessions. My 1 and a half year old nephew likes to throw his toys around the room, should we chop off his arms? Because man if we wait until he we can teach him how to behave, stuff is going to be ruined!
really dont you see that analagy is WAY over the top?? On the simplest level, comparing the cuting off of arms and crippling your own child, vs declawing a cat is wacky. Do you not cut the nails of your child so he doesnt scratch himself or you? Or is that cruel too?

Ive had 21 cats in my lifetime and i would guess about 10 were declawed. They all were fine afterwards. I declawed my second rescue not only to protect furniture, doors, molding etc., but also my first cat Hobbs, as I didnt want his eye dangling from Angel's claw. Nor did I want little children to be hurt by her if they scared her. My 2 cats are as they should be, spoiled and happy, and they also happen to have no front claws. Occasionally they put a hole in my furniture blasting across the room during crazy kitty hour, but thats ok. We all sacrifice to a degree whether its animals or children. My cats dont claw my firniture, but they sure yack up my rugs, and get littler all over, to mention a couple of things. But i am willing to deal with that because i wouldnt part with them for love or money. Again, ill pose the same question, was it not worth it to take them in and declaw them, or should I have let them slowly freeze or starve to death outside? Think about it. If my furballs could talk, Im sure I know what their answer would be.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww, bless her heart! Lots of that her surgery is fast and she heals quickly and never has to suffer from this again!

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sbw999

really dont you see that analagy is WAY over the top?? On the simplest level, comparing the cuting off of arms and crippling your own child, vs declawing a cat is wacky. Do you not cut the nails of your child so he doesnt scratch himself or you? Or is that cruel too?
Wait..this I'm confused. You're comparing declawing a cat to cutting the nails of kids. Shouldn't cutting the nails of cats be compared to cutting the nails of kids? Declawing is better compared to surgically removing your child's fingernails.

Not trying to say yay or nay on the subject, I just think the comparison is wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh please don't turn this into some argument. You have to realize that many of us are going to HATE declawing.....you've got to realize this isn't the first cat that has come in that was KILLED because of a side-effect of declawing. This is an anti-declawing site. You are entitled to your opinion, me to mine, someone else to theirs.

This is about Bea. She begs you not to declaw. She's also in need of ...she's going to be in a lot of pain for a while now. Just think of her, OK?

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But I'm not trying to turn it into an argument..I'm just confused!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by okiron

But I'm not trying to turn it into an argument..I'm just confused!
No, that wasn't aimed at you....at everyone in general. I took awhile to carefully(or not so carefully) word my reply....and didn't see your post before I did post.

I realize anyone on TCS is entitled to their opinion, but the official stance of TCS is anti-declaw.

You can debate until you are blue in the face....the end result is this thread will be locked. I don't want it locked because it ended up being another pointless declawing debate.