Bandit went to the Bridge yesterday

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, I will try and get through this
my oldest son went out to feed Bandit--one of his chores
As he was walking around the side of the house, the next door neighbors Great Dane came around also.The dog growled at my son.Bandit sensing that he was in danger--broke his collar.He went after the dog protecting my son. I heard my son scream, so I went out to see what was going on.When I got out there, both dogs were going at it pretty bad.I told my son to go get the phone--while I TRIED to break them up.
I called Austin to come over right away....his dog was hurting my dog.So, he came over with his gun.He shot his dog---God help me, if he wouldn't have, I would have.

It was to late for Bandit
.He took his last breath in my arms.I won't go into details, let's just say--there was NO helping him after the dog got ahold of his neck area.I bent down and held his head on my lap and told him "thank you for saving my son.You can go now, he is safe".And with that, Bandit closed his eyes to never open them again.
(I wouldn't let the kids come outside..................though they knew what was going on.Devin was shaking from being growled at.But, after he handed me the phone-I made him stay inside also.---so, they didn't know Bandit was gone)
Austin took his dog home.And I called my hubby.He asked if I wanted him to come home.I told him not to--I would be ok taking care of Bandit and the mess.Little did I know, he told his foreman he had to come home.So, as I was checking on the kids to make sure they were ok, and cleaning myself up some-he pulled in the drive way.He told me to deal with the mess, and he would bury Bandit for me.So, Bandit is now resting on our hillside where we can go and visit his grave when we want to.
The kids made a cross to go on his grave.I miss him sooooooooooooooo much.He died protecting my son.I don't know what caused the dog to growl at my son.Be it the food---being startled,what ever.But, Bandit knew he was in danger, and went to take care of him.
RIP Bandit!!! We love and miss you very much!

Thank you all for your kind words.I don't visit the Bridge forum, as it is so sad.But, wanted to share how my brave dog died being a hero.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww What an honorable way to die. It's a shame it came to that but Bandit was a brave soul.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im sooo sorry to hear about Bandit, thats truely awful!!

He was a very brave dog to protect your son like that!!

Im very sorry for the loss though, this can't be easy for you...
Im glad you got to be there for him to tell him it was okay to go, and to thank him for his braveness!

~Amber~

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
what a touching story! Bandit was a true hero... could you post a pic of him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will look for some pics of him and post them.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww Tammy
I am soo sorry. Thankyou for being strong enough to post your brave little guys story though!
This is all very sad. My heart goes out to you and your family, i can't imagine how much you guys must really be missing him
I think that the proper burial you all gave him and the cross is a lovely way to honor his memory

RIP Bandit

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwwwwwwwww............ I'm in tears. What a wonderful, wonderful thing Bandit did. There was something wrong with that Dane. I'm so sorry.
Thank GOD your son is alive and unharmed. It seems he could have been very seriously injured - if not killed himself.
Danes are BIG animals.

Bandit - you will be dearly missed. He really IS a hero.

Laurie