Bad Cat?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I also have to agree that Mischief sounds like a perfectly normal, healthy kitten of that age. and have to wonder what her others cats are/have been like.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds exactly like every single one of my kittens! I have seven kittens right around that age and they drive me insane sometimes, but I'd never dream of re-homing them. They're not "evil", they're just kittens!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I also have to agree that Mischief sounds like a perfectly normal, healthy kitten of that age. and have to wonder what her others cats are/have been like.
And were her other cats all sedated!?

I really hope she is not seriously trying to get him a good home with THAT ad too. Some people

Nice email Linda

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH MY GAWD!!!

She wrote me a huge long email with lots of it in capital letters. She kept telling me that if I think the cat is so "normal" why doesn't she see me asking to adopt him?
That and many other things. Not sure if I am allowed to post her email here or not, so I won't. But I will post my reply to her.

I live in a different country than you.

I'm sorry to hear that your son has a disability. But when you adopt an animal it's a life long committment, just like having or adopting a child. Your son has a disability, yet you have the time and patience to manage him, yet not the normal behaviour of a kitten that you took into your home? So because he isn't acting the way you think a cat should act, you want to abandon him and give him away? Sorry, but that's incredibly cruel and insensitive of you.

I've extended an olive branch to you by way of The Cat Site where there are people who can offer you tips on how to manage Myschief, and also perhaps offer a kind word about your personal situation, but you seem to be rejecting that.

You obviously have more on your plate than you can manage comfortably. Being a single parent of a normal child is hard enough, but add a disability to that and it is even harder. Perhaps you should seek out a social worker and ask about some resources for assistance and perhaps the occasional respite break from your son in order to have some time for yourself. Having him go somewhere for a few days, or having someone come to your home for a day to look after him while you go out and do adult type things like shopping or a day at the spa, is not being a bad mother.

When you are stressed, you lose patience and become short tempered and that's not good for you, your son or anyone else around you. Frankly your reply to me came across as rude and snotty, when all I was trying to do was help you because based on everything I read in your craig's list post, Myschief is behaving like a completely normal bored kitten, and you would see that if you would sign up with The Cat Site and tell people there about your situation and how Myschief is behaving.

Regards,

Linda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOWZA, never expected a reaction like that. She may be getting several emails from people explaining that this is normal behavior.

I so wish I could go get him!

Thanks, Linda!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sigh.. I figured that would happen - angry, snotty, defensive email. Is she still trying to get rid of the kitten? IE: is her CL post still there. CAn you contact any of the rescues in her home area?

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would be more than happy to take him in if I didn't live so far away. I can't afford to fly a cat down right now. I'm 1000 miles south of her.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the ad is still there along with the ad for the three outside cats.
Here is a response someone posted to her ad: http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/pet/563437710.html

Maybe with people reaching out like Linda and this other person did, she will have a change of heart. I don't know of any rescues in this area that are accepting cats. I just hope someone will see how special this little guy is.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by okiron

I would be more than happy to take him in if I didn't live so far away. I can't afford to fly a cat down right now. I'm 1000 miles south of her.
I am only about 5 miles away. I already have two in a tiny apartment where I am only supposed to have one

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Sigh.. I figured that would happen - angry, snotty, defensive email. Is she still trying to get rid of the kitten? IE: is her CL post still there. CAn you contact any of the rescues in her home area?
Maybe the original poster can try? I don't know where her home town is. I presume the original poster does because she found the listing.

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That was a really nice response that someone posted.

Natalie -- Sorry that the email she sent wasn't nicer.. but I would have expected something like that or nothing at all.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hurdyburdy

That was a really nice response that someone posted.

Natalie -- Sorry that the email she sent wasn't nicer.. but I would have expected something like that or nothing at all.
Thanks. That was my initial email to her. The second one is my reply back to her rude email to me.

She's a single parent with a disabled child and works full time. So she is mega stressed and it sounds like she's bearly hanging on by a thread. I sincerely doubt that under normal circumstances that she is so hostile and rude. Stress can make us do and say some pretty stupid and hurtful things.

However, she seems to be taking that stress out on that poor kitten. She seems to be under the impression that the kitten is the root of all her frustrations and stress and that once he's gone everything will be peachy fine.

thezookeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mychief sounds EXACTLY like my Cali, she is even the same age. Everything the woman wrote is EVERYTHING Cali does. I have to agree with her that Cali can be very frustrating and chaotic but my family and I would NEVER give her away. Luckily we also have a 9 month old cat that helps wear Cali out. I hope the lady finds a family that will enjoy the challenge and excitement Mycheif offers.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I give up. That woman is a nut.

I did find out that if she can't give him away through Craig's List, that she will take him to a no kill cat shelter or some cat farm.

She also told me in no uncertain terms that she won't be signing up here to seek help with Myschief. She has her mind made up that he is the source of her problems and she's getting rid of him.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just told her I would take him.

Hope she takes me up on my offer. I am also trying to get another kitten that someone I adopted to last year wants off another craiglist posting. They are hitting the poor thing because it is acting out (translate being a kitten.) If I get this kitten, he will be guaranteed a loving home and another kitty to play with.

You know, it is so sad. So many in my area want a kitten- but they aren't equipped to let a kitten be a kitten. I have several here that still climb to the tops of my drapes, run up the doors and perch on the door ledge and like to give me a heart attack when I walk through the room. They play tag endlessly at night when we want to sleep, they knock over glasses of water, stick their paws in my plate. Thank God they are normal, healthy, active kittens. I wouldn't have it any other way.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh bless your heart Hissy! If she doesn't sound like she wants to give him to you, i can come at her from another angle and maybe get him then give him to you. Poor little guy.

I worry when my two don't cause some type of trouble. Daphne has to inspect my food - never eats it but must check it out first
She also climbs on everthing and I worry she doesn't have enough to climb on.

Please let us know if you get him.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I feel sorry for both her and the kitty. She sounds like she is about to come unglued just from her posting. Kittens can be exhausting, frustrating and challenging. If you want a perfect kitten- uh uh ain't gonna happen. I have yet to meet a perfect kitten of the stray variety. Her protests in her posting tugs at my heart. She is so close to just losing it. That isn't fair to her or to the kitten. I just adopted out one of my cats yesterday so that frees up a space. I still have kittens here that this kitty can play with and last I looked Mike and I still have our kitty patience merit badges-
By the way Bonnie- check your PM's

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BTW anyone in the Portland area or thereabouts who might want to adopt a special guy- Trump has now been neutered and ready to go to the right home. He is not a bad cat, he is a love